Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

birth position

what postion did you give birth in? i was all up for standing up or squatting but when push came to shove (scuse the pun), i ended up laying on the bed with it tipped right up! was in labour for 12 hours and pushing for about an hour. apparently that was good for my first??

Replies

• I spent my labour in the birthing pool which was lovely but for pushing i was also laying on the bed with it tipped right up. I was in labour for 10hrs 16mins and was also my first!!!
  • I had all 4 of mine squatting in a birth pool.
  • see i wanted to wallow around in the birthing pool but when the time came there was no way in hell anyone was getting me in there!! i couldnt sit down!! spent 11 of my 12 hour labour stood up!!

did anyone else get the shivers?! i remember my teeth chattering so much!!
  • see i wanted to wallow around in the birthing pool but when the time came there was no way in hell anyone was getting me in there!! i couldnt sit down!! spent 11 of my 12 hour labour stood up!!

I could not sit down either! the thought of getting in the bath was too much for me but in the pool i was not on my bum;\) I stood for the main part and got into the pool for pushing. It is also why i had a homebirth I HATED sitting in the car on the way to the MLU!image

did anyone else get the shivers?! i remember my teeth chattering so much!!

I got the shivers after the birth. I could not stop shaking! :\)
  • my husband kept asking me if i was cold! pmsl
  • Errrr No its the shock of just pushing a baby out!image lol
  • I recently had my first baby, and I had the top of the bed propped right up, and I leaned forwards against it, so the baby came out behind me, if you know what I mean :S
    I found this position brilliant, and my body naturally made me sit up more every time I needed to push, meaning that he came out really easily. I was only pushing for 15minutes. I'd definately recommend this position!
  • i would definately agree with roasalie

...i had been pushing for 55 minutes and the midwife says if this baby is not out in next push you will have an episiotmy...I demanded her to help me move from off my back to kneeling on bed leaning against the elevated top of the bed. i dont know how i knew to do it on that much pethidine i just knew where i needed to be.....one push and pop! xxx
  • I spent the eight hours of my labour on my knees leaning on the sofa at home, when I got into hospital and found I was fully dilated I was on my back on the bed and everything happened too quickly for me to demand anything else. I was pushing for just over an hour so in hindsight if I had moved I'm sure he would have come out quicker!
  • yeh i think the best thing to do is move around as much as you can. although easier said than done!!!
  • I was sort of sat up with both of mine, using the join in the mattress to push against with my feet, i pushed for 25 mins with my first and only twice with my second. I think gravity helped a lot.
  • the midwife held her hands up so i could push my feet against her hands! haha
  • with my 1st i had to lie down as i had that much wires attached to me (i was induced cause of pre-eclampsia)

my 2nd i was just gonna do it the same way.... but the midwife that came in told me she didnt delivery babies to mums that lie down...so i stood up, and it really did make a difference, it just felt like gravity was helping baby come down... and when it came to pushing i wanted to lie down but was terrified to move lol so he came out... still in his waters (which i have been told is lucky)!

not sure about this time, will just go with the flow i think!
  • i think thats the best thing to do image