Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Going private

Has anyone on here gone private for fertility tests? I was just wondering because healthcare is not good in our area; making an appointment with my GP is near impossible most days, hospital referral appointments take ages to come through and get repeatedly cancelled ........

Replies

• Hey hun, yes hubby and I have gone private for tests and been really impressed. We have been seen so quickly, there are always appointments available even for the next day and the results come back so quickly. I had a blood test Friday morning and got the results in the afternoon!!! I think if yo have the money then it is well worth it as you get answers so much quicker, and a much more personal touch. We always see the same consultant so he knows our story and always has time for us, some appointments we have been there for an hour and a half!.x.
  • Hi

We are thnking about it too. trixie85- where do you go? Also can you give me an idea of price please (if you dont mind me asking!)....Thanks
    xx
  • Hi

We are thnking about it too. trixie85- where do you go? Also can you give me an idea of price please (if you dont mind me asking!)....Thanks
    xx
  • Hiya trying82, hope you're good : ) I live in London and have been going to Highgate Hospital. It's really small there, one consultant, a nurse and an embyologist but they have treated us really well and been very efficient. Pricewise - the first consultation was ???????150 and after that they are meant to be ???????100 but sometimes they don't charge us if we just go in for a quick appt : ) Doing a sperm analysis costs about ???????90, blood tests vary depending on which one - the AMH one is ???????80. That's the basics I guess - I have a lot of internal ultrasounds as they are monitoring my cycle, I can't remember exactly how much they are but I can check if you want that info too. Hope that helps and good luck to both of you if you decide to get tests.x.
  • Hi trixie, thanks for the info. I am def thinking about going private. Making an app to see my doc, he is pretty understanding and used to run a fertility clinic so knows what he is talking about. We ahve been trying for 8 months now, been off the pill for 2 years now as well!

I am just worried that doing it all on the NHS would take a long time and i dont want to wate precious time. I will look into the clinic you have mentioned. We live in Kent so popping into London is not an issue.

Thank you so much for the info!!!

Good luck too..!
  • Hi trixie, thanks for the info. I am def thinking about going private. Making an app to see my doc, he is pretty understanding and used to run a fertility clinic so knows what he is talking about. We ahve been trying for 8 months now, been off the pill for 2 years now as well!

I am just worried that doing it all on the NHS would take a long time and i dont want to wate precious time. I will look into the clinic you have mentioned. We live in Kent so popping into London is not an issue.

Thank you so much for the info!!!

Good luck too..!
  • No worries : ) The other clinic I have heard good things about is ARGC (Assisted Reproduction and Gynaecology Centre) - it's based near Regents Park I think. It's much bigger and has a really good name and record, so maybe check out both and see which you prefer. I think the NHS do a great job but they definitely take longer and aren't able to do quite so many tests or spend so long investigating each individual case. Obviously it changes based on where you are too as each hospital is a bit different, but one of my friends had to wait about 6 months for her first appointment and only gets to see her consultant every 3 months for a review - which seems an incredibly long time. She has been on Clomid for 9 months now and only seen her doctor twice in that time!!! Still, I would never knock the NHS as it gives everyone a chance to have treatment which they might not otherwise be able to afford. Let me know what you decide and if you want any other help/info.x.