Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Weight and TTC

Am now regretting that bag of crisps at lunchtime. I don't overly worry about my weight and what I eat but I've just read something where it says being overweight can affect you chances of ttc.

Its great as no one knows me so I can admit:
I'm 5' 7", and 12 stone 1, which gives me a BMI of 26.2 which is overweight. 25 would be 'healthy'.

I lost a bit of weight last year but put it back on again, but I'm still a size 14.

What I've read says it can really affect your chances if you're overweight - has anyone who has already had a baby or struggling ttc experienced this?

I've worked out I need to lose about 8 pounds to get me to 'healthy', but I don't want to lose weight too quickly in case it distrurbs my cycles which are currently like clockwork.

Does anyone know anything about this/offer any advice?
I'm desparately worried now that I may not be pregnant yet because I like my chocolate!

Replies

• Hi, don't really have any advice but didn't want to r and r. I would say at a size 14 and only half a stone overweight (and remember bmi is not brilliant as it doens't take account of muscle weight etc) you will be absolutely fine. The reason overweight people may find it harder ttc may be that weight is a big issue with pcos??

Just a thought

Anyway you don't sound overweight to me so I wouldn't worry about it!

Good luck for a BFP soon

xx
  • Thanks Kernow, I do have regular periods, so hopefully all OK. I might cut the odd sweet treat out now for the duration so it doesn't creep up any more.
  • Thanks Mrs Amanda, congratulations on your BFP.
    I think I'm getting slightly OTT with all my worrying at the moment. But I am going to make more of an effort to be a bit more healthy and not scoff too much bad stuff.

Sometimes the internet is eeevil as you can look so much up. As well as weight, I spent a good hour before looking up infertility and blocked fallopian tubes and I have no idea why. Its only month 3 for goodness sake. This ttc business is making me stark raving bonkers.
  • Hey, I'm 5'7 and 11st6lbs, size 16 thanks to the childbearing hips! I certainly wouldn't class either of us overweight! I'm trying to run with the theory that to eat what I want I can as long as I move more. Apparantly though - moving from the sofa to the kitchen does not count! Lol xxx
  • Hey, I'm 5'7 and 11st6lbs, size 16 thanks to the childbearing hips! I certainly wouldn't class either of us overweight! I'm trying to run with the theory that to eat what I want I can as long as I move more. Apparantly though - moving from the sofa to the kitchen does not count! Lol xxx
  • Hey,

I'm 5'7" and was around your weight when I fell with my 2nd! You are only just outside what doctors consider the 'healthy' range so i wouldn't be too worried about it.

Some doctors actually say that being a *little* overweight is healthier at least than striving to be thinner with fad diets and damaging your body in the process!

Good luck!
  • Thanks girls, that's all very reassuring. I don't think I'll 'diet' as such, as I've heard that can disrupt cycles.

I lost 2 stone with weightwatchers last year but about 10 pounds of that has gone back on. I couldn't tell how it affected my cycles as I was on the pill at the time.

I'll just watch what I'm eating, make sure I don't put on any more, and if a little falls off the process so be it!

• Hay hun i am now g/c which feels odd :lol:

When i got preg with my son i was doing WW and had lots 4 stone....
    I was ttc for 20months this time im a size 18-20 and would need to lose about 6/7 stone to be close to what my weight should be.... well in jan2010 i decided to diet and my usual 28d cycle went to a 26d cycle then to 25d cycle and AF got lighter and i had lost 2 stone and march 28th i got my BFP image on what would have been CD25....
    I really belive it was my weight that was stopping me getting preg..... BUT i was heavy ( welll still am ) i am still losing a little bit each week but its harder x

Good Luck ladys x Hope you all have you BFP very soon x
  • I read somewhere that unless your BMI is above 29 it will not affect your chances of BFP. So you should be OK.
    I am a size 20, 5'9'' and about 17/18st but have regular cycles and exercise a lot so doc said that I should try to loose some weight really slowly(as to not confuse my cycles) but that it should not really stop me from getting BFP
  • You should be fine hon; I was overweight according to BMI when I fell with ds. Daft thing was at uni I lost loads of weight, wasn't even in the healthy range (under 25) and my nurse & doc told me to put weight on!!! I'm 5'10 and have a very big build - very broad in the hips & shoulders, will never be a petite person. Was so skinny that all my bones showed through & I looked dreadful, was was still overweight, so they told me to put weight on!! According to BMI I should weigh 12 stone to be at 25 on the BMI but docs told me not to drop below 14! Sweeet!!

After having ds I'm now classed as obese (15 stone) but my nurse has told me not to worry - I have an auti-immune disease which can stop me conceiving, and makes me more prone to miscarriages, and my hubby has a low sperm count, so nurse says considering I conceived ds my weight obviously isnt an issue! I'm on a diet though to lose some weight (have just lost 6lbs) and figure it will help with TTC but I'm not being silly about it either.

You shouldnt have anything to worry about, as my nurse told me the BMI scale is pathetic and shouldn't be used! :roll: