Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Coming off the pill

Good Evening Ladies

Hope you are all well, this is my first post!!

Basically I came off the Pill at the end of December, I had my usual bleed and haven't had a period since. Just wondered if anyone can tell me if this is normal?

I have been on the Pill for nine years and from what I can remember my periods were really irregular before, do you think this could have something to do with it?

I was going to go to the doctors but worried they will think i'm being silly!!

Thanks in advance for any help

Jill xx

Replies

• Hello and welcome to TTC.
    The only advice I may be able to offer you is this; have you tried ovualtion kits? they may be of some help to you. Also if you are under 35(?) some docs are resistant to help unless you've been off the pill / ttc for a year.
    Good luck honey adnd have fun with TTC in the meantime xx
  • Hi,
    No I haven't tried Ovulation Kit's, what are they?

I am 25 so guessed the doctor would not be able to help xx
  • Hi hun, it is very common to not get a period up to 6 months after coming off the pill, i came off microgynon in jan and am only just having first period now. I started drinking raspberry leaf tea to bring on the period, as it stimulates the uterus and regulates cycles, just be careful if there is any chance u could be preg thou as it can cause miscarriage. xx
  • Hi poppy love,

It can be normal for your af to go astray for up to 3 months after you've come off the pill.

When I first joined this forum last year there was a thread of ppl who had come off the pill and had no period of which 2 of them got pg before ever getting a period- so it's possible. And myself and someone else eventually found out it's because we had pcos.

I would say go to your gp. I'm also only 26 and had only been officially trying for 2-3 months when I went to the gp but I hadn't had an af for 4-5 mths. I've still only had 1 in 12mths since coming off the pill. I don't want to frighten you are anything like that but just don't want you to feel you have to put up with it without seking help- like I felt at first. It took my 3rd visit to the gp to get taken seriously (by a female gp that time and be sent for blood tests). They can send you for a quick blood test which can have a look if your hormone levels are normal and if any of them are preventing your af. In the meantime keep bd'ing and keep testing just in case. You may be as well holding off ov kits til you do get an af as sometimes hormone imbalances etc can't throw the results. Good luck xx
  • Hi, I came off pill decemer and still haven't had first real af. I've been to drs and had blood tests which were fine so have to wait another 2 months until they will look into stimulating my af to start.
    I'm not worried just wig I had af so I could work out ovulation dates. I've brought cheap ovulation kits and will be doing 1 a day for a month to see if I'm ovulating although I know thy font always pick it up. Don't worry but also don't feel silly talking to drs. Just book an appointment with one you trust.
  • I was the same- when i had my first lo in 2008- i stopped the pill in 2007 and it took almost a year till i got regular and startd to ovulate- might be worth asking gp anyway but would certainly say its normal to be off for a long time first- as your body has been so used to it. xx
  • I was the same- when i had my first lo in 2008- i stopped the pill in 2007 and it took almost a year till i got regular and startd to ovulate- might be worth asking gp anyway but would certainly say its normal to be off for a long time first- as your body has been so used to it. xx