Forum home Babies Baby

Father's Day gifts

Ok need some inspiration! :roll:

I read Sharmy's post on the fingerprint jewellery, and thought I'd ask for wider ideas.

For Mother's Day my son (well obviously OH!) got me a picture of a unicorn to paint - as you can see from my avatar I love them, and a mould to put lo's hand in, and make into a wall plaque.

I'm sure OH will love whatever lo (I!) get him, but he's only sentimental to a degree.

So I was wondering if anyone had a cheapish option for the sentimental side of Father's Day, the keepsake...and I'll try to think of something else to add to it. James isn't being very forthright with ideas! :lol:

I thought of a picture in a nice frame, but then I went blank!

Thanks ladies. xx

mithical and James 13 weeks 5 days

Replies

• I've not even thought about fathers day yet!

Last fathers day I got my OH a keyring with a funny picture of the 3 of us on and a mug with pics of lo on. Was fairly cheap, got them off snapfish.co.uk. x
  • I've not even thought about fathers day yet!

Last fathers day I got my OH a keyring with a funny picture of the 3 of us on and a mug with pics of lo on. Was fairly cheap, got them off snapfish.co.uk. x
  • In the past I've done a mug with all pictures of lo on it and last year I got him a photo book full of pictures of him and Rhys. Both were off snapfish and under a tenner. Not sure what to do for this years though.
  • I'm really stuck for this one too, I don't have much ideas as my OH said he doesn't want anything as he has never celebrated fathers day before due to a bad relationship with his father :/
    so now i'm left with the predicament of do i get him something or don't i? I loved my first ever mothers day and I'm sure in years to come he'll love fathers day and would regret asking for me not to get anything....
    oh decisions decisions....

I like the mug idea, might look into that image x
  • For our first Father's Day (last year) I made a photobook of pics of lo with Daddy, and some of Daddy's favourtie pics of lo, with captions under them (www.truprint.co.uk), and I bought lo a T-shirt to wear on the day saying 'Daddy is my Hero' - this was from Mothercare but as Father's Day gets closer Sainsbury's and Asda sell similar ones too I think. We went out to a local farm for the day too so they had something nice to do together - but lo was 11 months so it was a bit easier to find something for them to do. I think the 'sentimental' meant more to me than him though - for Mother's Day he bought me a spa treatment, which was lovely but I would've liked something to keep - not told him that though, and I do have the card to keep!

This year I'll be 39weeks plus pregnant on Father's Day so I'd better get my thinking cap on now rather than leaving it til the last minute - and be prepared for needing presents for two children.
  • last year I got OH 3 t shirts (he needed new ones) that has different slogans on them, his fave is the one saying "guns dont kill people, dads with daughters do" :lol:

I also made sure, because MJ was only a few months old and very very tiny, that I got their hand prints and foot prints down, so I made a card with a few different poems in it, and on every other page was either a hand print or foot print... (one of Ollie's or MJs)

he loved it and had tears in his eyes - i spent ages researching the right poems for us that were most closely suited to our lifestyle, and meant more to him that anything else would.

He wears any of the t-shirts to go out in regularly, and the card is still sat by his bedside - so it looks like ive set the bar a bit high for competing with myself this year :lol:

I've no idea what to do this year.

sorry - not much help there am I!

i can post the poems I used if they might be of any help?

xx
  • oooh yes please icecreamlover...would love some inspiration!

• Daddy,
    Sometimes you get discouraged
    Because I am so small
    And always leave my fingerprints
    On furniture and walls

But everyday I'm growing
    I'll be grown some day
    And all those tiny handprints
    Will surely fade away

So heres a little handprint
    Just so you can recall
    Exactly how my finger looked
    When I was very small

(followed by an Ollie hand print)

Walk a little slower, Daddy,
    Said a little child so small.
    I'm following in your footsteps
    And I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,
    Sometimes they are hard to see;
    So, walk a little slower, Daddy,
    For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
    You're what I want to be;
    Then I will have a little child
    Who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,
    And know that I was true;
    So walk a little slower, Daddy,
    For I must follow you.

(This was the most poignant for us as Ollie frequently tells OH to slow down so he can keep up - hence this was followed by Ollie's foot print and a personal message from Ollie)

You are the greatest daddy,
    And I just want you to know,
    You are so strong & brave,
    My very own hero.

You change my dirty nappy;
    You wash my grubby face,
    You pick me up and sit me,
    In my favourite place.

You help me eat my breakfast,
    My dinner and my tea,
    You don't mind that I can't manage;
    You are just there helping me.

You read me bedtime stories,
    Tuck me in, kiss me goodnight,
    Watch me, as I grow sleepy;
    Make sure that I'm alright.

You're always there beside me;
    You keep me so secure,
    You really are the very best,
    Daddy of them all

followed by foot prints of MJ

Daddy, take my hand in yours & you will plainly see
    How very much I need you now to love and care for me.
    Teach me to be kind and loving, sharing and forgiving.
    Show me through your acts of love the pure joy of living.

The years will pass by quickly and one day I will be grown,
    I will pass what you have taught me onto children of my own.
    Hold me always in your thoughts and remember when we are apart,
    The special love between a child and a daddy's heart.

followed by an MJ hand print

Daddy, I love you
    For all that you do.

I'll kiss you and hug you
    'Cause you love me, too.

You feed me and need me
    To teach you to play.

So smile 'cause I love you
    On this Father's Day

(this was my closing poem, seemed quite fitting to have it last and then have the kids signatures and kisses)

Most of All
    I love you, Dad, for all the things you do.
    You make laugh when I am feeling blue.
    You can untie the hardest knot of all,
    Although I've tugged the lace until it's small.
    You know the reason for 'most everything,
    Like why it rains and why bees sometime sting,
    Like why the sun comes up and flowers bloom,
    And why a jet creates a sonic boom.
    You are the closest friend I've ever had.
    You share with me the times both good and bad.
    You play those games I know you hate to play.
    And plan a trip for me each holiday.
    I love you, Dad, for all the things you do,
    But most of all I love you, Dad, for you.

(this isnt one ive used yet but plan to when the LOs are older)
  • last year I got OH 3 t shirts (he needed new ones) that has different slogans on them, his fave is the one saying "guns dont kill people, dads with daughters do" :lol:

i loved that so much i had to google it and buy my OH one straight away! xxx
  • Just had to say I love those poems, so cute!!

C image
  • Icecreamlover...those poems are just lovely - I have stolen the idea - thanks so much, brought a little tear to my eye!!

xx
  • I just cried at those poems x
  • OMG those poems - I'm in pieces!

B x
  • I've googled for some more poems, and chosen four. OH had me buying him a PSP, so that's the non-sentimental part done! :lol: His birthday is a couple of days before Father's day, so joint. I think I will get him a keyring with a pic of him and lo on it. Just need to get a really nice picture, and if I can maybe a picture of lo's handprint on the other side. I'll have to see.

Thanks for the ideas. Good to keep the thread going! xx
  • How about this?

I bought this for my hubby at Christmas and had it inscribed with I love you daddy. He really loved it and its kind of a male substitute for a locket.

http://www.keepitpersonal.co.uk/silver-personalised-family-photo-keyring-p-255.html
  • Lovely ideas!

[Modified by: Mafia Princess on May 30, 2010 06:46 PM]

[Modified by: Mafia Princess on June 27, 2010 05:51 PM]

• I got OH a magazine subscription last year and he loved it so much I'll renew it for him, he gets a present every month he says.

I think I'm going to do a photobook and use some poems and quotes to make it really special from his little princess. Also taking him to a hotel for a fathers day lunch (being sneaky as I want to get married there so a bit of recon for that too)

xxxxx
  • I'm getting OH a book called 'I love my Daddy' from Adam, and a picnic blanket (one which has a waterproof back), which we'll hopefully be able to use all summer on family days out!

I did the photobook idea for our first wedding anniversary so can't use that again - d'oh!

xx

[Modified by: **Cath** on May 30, 2010 06:58 PM]

• Thanks for bumping this up Cath. I used a website called www.gettingpersonal.co.uk in the end. I've personalised a mug for OH which says 'Happy 1st Father's Day. Lots of love, James. xxx' on the other side is 'I love Daddy' (I think). Lots of positive reviews on the site. I wanted something personal, but have never got round to taking a nice daddy/son pic or anything. He's already had his joint birthday/father's day pressie of a PSP! xx