Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

When do back molars come through ?

Archie has all teeth except his back molars. He is 18months.

For the last wee while he has been biting more than normal (Yep, still can't control him biting mummy and daddy!) Waking early. And wanting comfort blanket and dummy all the time, normally exclusively only in his bed.

I can't feel anything (I risked my pinkie finger to have a wee feel) or see his gums that far back but I'm wondering if he could be teething, except it seems to be taking forever. Just wondered roughly what age they start to get back molars. S x

Replies

• I think it is absolutely random to be honest, Hugo is 20 months and he is now growing his first 4 molars (so teeth number 9, 10, 11 and 12) so he still has 8 to go! So all of them are different, some ar fast teethers as your boy seems to obe, some slow like Hugo :P
  • I think in general it's around 2 - I asked my dentist as my ds has had all his other teeth through since September (14 months), and he said still not to expect them til he's 2. Sorry, this won't be any consolation but my lo has had teething symptoms (horrid nappies and rash, off food from tie to time, chewing fingers and dribbling) on and off since October! I think one of the back molars is through finally (difficult to persuade him to let me see), but we're still waiting for 3 more.
  • im not sure there is a specific age ,my dd is 14 months and has cut 2 back molars and has 2 more currently pushing through!!! there a pain in the backside cos she is normally a fab sleeper but they have made her poorly and wake up in the night grrr!! :lol: xxx
  • im not sure there is a specific age ,my dd is 14 months and has cut 2 back molars and has 2 more currently pushing through!!! there a pain in the backside cos she is normally a fab sleeper but they have made her poorly and wake up in the night grrr!! :lol: xxx
  • My dd is 26 months and her last two molars (upper) are finally coming through right now and the lower two came about the time of her 2nd birthday.

When I was reading about them they say the average age for the last molars is anywhere from 24 months to 36 months so your little guy may be a few months away but then that is just the average age so obviously some kids are earlier....

I check dd's mouth by saying "ahhhh", she does the same thing and then I can take a peek inside... I find it to be the safest way;\)
  • Oh poo. i was hoping you were all going to say " about 18 months" and then I could blame all his behaviour etc on his teeth.

Oh well will wait it out and see. But not sure what I'll blame it on once he has all his teeth, lol, S x
  • Evie's just cut 2 of her back molars and she turned 2 last month. Still got 2 to go but the corners are through now. If it's any consolation she teethed for months with them so it's possible that they are his molars coming through esp if he's an early teether.
    Xx
  • Evie is almost 2 1/2 and only just cut two molars, has two more to get, but i can see them beneath the gum so it wont be long!
  • Its all completely random as far as I can tell. lo had all of his teeth (and the back molars were the last to come) by about 20 months. I'm thankful the whole teething thing is over - not nice for them or for us. x
  • Lo's 2 in 10 days and the back molars are the only ones he's missing - he looks like he's got a mouthful of teeth lol!!!
    xxx