Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bicornuate Uterus

Hi guys, finally went for a scan today as my first period after my miscarriage lasted 6 weeks. I have just been told by the sonographer that I have a bicornuate uterus!!! I was SO shocked. I am trying not to panic, I cannot bear the thought of another miscarriage.

Does anyone here have this or know anyone who has this condition. Would be great to hear from other people.

Maddy xxx

Replies

• Hey there, its SO nice to hear from you. I am in exactly the same position. I was trying for over a year, got pregnant and miscarried at 9 weeks. I bled normally while I miscarried however, mu first period lasted 6 weeks, so went for a scan yesterday and the sonographer just said, "oh do you realise you have a bicornuate uterus?" she then told me it wasnt life threatening, and drew it for me. Nothing else. So, i didnt think it was major until I got home and read about it. I couldnt believe it. I am SO terrified.

I have an app with the dr on Tuesday morning and I cannot wait. i keep bursting into tears. Not nice.

Well I wish you all the luck tomorrow - let me know how it goes. Would you like my email?

Maddy xxxxx
  • Oh sorry, I think I read it wrong image

My email is maddywillow@hotmail.co.uk - you can email me anytime image

I have been in shock slightly, am trying not to worry, but have also come on my full period today so just feeling very shaky. I know we will both be ok though. There are many women who have this and dont even realise who go on to have lovely healthy babies. We will be ok - just maybe in for a bumpy ride image

xxxx
  • Hi girls,

My sister also has a bicornuate uterus.

I wasn't sure whether to post this because this is just what she went through and DOESN'T mean you will too - I really don't want to worry you more, but thought it might help to hear about her experience.

It took her a long time to get pregnant with her first, it was only at the birth that they found out that is what she had - even though she'd been for detailed scans when she was having trouble ttc. I'm afraid it did affect her pregnancy - she went into labour 7 weeks early because of the lack of space in her uterus and the fact that her baby was a foot down breech. After a bit of a scary start he is absolutely healthy and fine.

Good news as well - she is now pregnant with her second (due in June) and this one is hanging on in there - every day is a blessing as far as she's concerned.

Her doc told her that it depends on how the baby lies in the uterus whether or not it will effect the pregnancy. There's just less room in there, but she's doing far better with this little one!

I would ask your doc about it in detail - try to put your mind at rest.

Kx