Forum home Babies Baby

Sucking Baby Wipes

Hello All image

My little boy has a taste for baby wipes, started when we were wiping his face and he tried to lick them lol then when hubby was changing his bum one fell out which he got he chubby little hands on and started to suck on it with a big grin on his face! I've checked the packet and there are no warnings but he loves them so much I was wondering if it would do him any harm licking/sucking them? They are Pampers sensitive just for info image

Does anyone elses little person do this? Or is it just my weird baby boy? :lol: xxx

Replies

• My LO LOVES baby wipes! Pampers sensitive too!! I always give her one after feeding when I need to clean her, or during nappy changes so that she can suck and not fight me! Most people think it is rather odd and find it amusing, so glad she is not the only one!! xx
  • hi hun, my dd does this, she is having problems with her teeth and i think cos its rough she likes to suck, i dont think weird xx
  • Christ, no. Have you read the ingredient list? I wouldn't put these on my baby's skin, let alone in his mouth. They contain stuff that can burn mucous membranes.
  • My lo used to suck them all the time (as did both of my nephews), and i'd give him one to keep him quiet when changing his nappy. He's come to absolutely no harm from it whatsoever, so they can't be that bad,
  • everyone is different mrs setters, i take it as you dont use baby wipes then you dont use washing powder as they are full of chemicals? never wrong with it and has my dd no harm i wont give her one just because but i wont take one off her x
  • I do use washing powder (well, Ariel gel in fact). I just don't give it to the baby to drink to keep him quiet whilst I change his nappy. I don't understand why giving your baby toiletries to ingest is cute or amusing.
  • i understand hun, i dont give anything to my child that they should not have i.e my phone my dd is always going after my phone and eats it, but if she gets a wipe I wont take it off her x
  • Would you take a bottle of baby lotion off her if you found her swigging from it?
  • Well, that's a comfort! Can't see the difference myself, but 'orses for courses.....
  • while i wouldn't deliberately give her one to eat my LO would quite happily suck one given the opportunity. and yes while there's chemicals and things in just think of all the things they're going to manage to put in their mouths in the future when they atart crawling/walking and we take our eyes off them for two seconds! lol
  • I appreciate all responses but comparing sucking a wipe to swigging baby lotion is a bit extreme. I understand theres chemicals in them and obviously offers no benefits to a baby but I can't see how they can be that harmful. They are designed to clean a babies genitals after all and any chemicals would be absorbed through the delicate skin. He sucks on his toys and clothes and bibs and they've all been washed in chemicals.

Anyway, nice to know my wee man's not on his own here lol bless him if it stops a screaming hissy fit when he's getting a bum change I won't stop him xxx
  • If there really was anything in the wipes that would hurt a baby that much, they wouldn't be allowed to be sold, so I can't see the harm in it myself. It's not like you're giving them to your little one for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    Some people do have extreme views on this site, lol x
  • If there really was anything in the wipes that would hurt a baby that much, they wouldn't be allowed to be sold, so I can't see the harm in it myself. It's not like you're giving them to your little one for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    Some people do have extreme views on this site, lol x

lol this made me laugh, some people can be very extreme x
  • C, My bubs loves a good slurp on a babywipe too... nothing weird about your little man doing it at all!! :lol:
  • i dont even use them on esme's bum due to the chemicals. we use cheeky wipes instead. we were told not to use anything other than cotton wool and water due to them being not good for sensitve skin for the first few weeks, so if they cant go on a newborns bum i wouldnt put them near their mouth to be honest!
  • I have never heard of them not being good to use on a baby's bum. Im a beauty therapist and have had to study ingriedents used in products and there is nothing major in baby wipes, I do agree with the washing powder, babies tend to chew their clothes etc... so essentially it is the same thing. For the record dd does try and chew and suck the baby wipes when she gets a hold of them but I just pull them away from her again.
  • To be honest I'd be more worried about them being a choking hazard than anything else. They fall apart really easily in my experience (just from handling them, I don't chew on the myself!) and I would be worried about my baby choking on a bit of it.
  • my lo always tries to grab the wipes when im changing her. i have caught her with one in her mouth before but i wouldnt let her suck on one! its perfectly normal though and not harmful, my god daughter used to eat them!! lol
  • All healthcare professionals recommend wipes are avoided until Sbout 6 weeks as their skin is so sensitive before then and the chemicals can affect the delicate balance causing or worsening nappy rash. Just water is far preferable for newborns at least. It may be perfectly normal for bubs to try to suck them, but I would actively discourage it. I don't think MrsSetter's comparison is that far off, if you check the ingredients there's not much difference!