Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Water birth question number 2 :)

sorry to fill ur section with weird questions but i have another for the water birth ladies

I have just found our the hosp only has one water birth room thing. Right that doesnt sound overly good to me. What if i attend my class and learn all about it and write a wonderful birth plan with my MW and get there and its 'not free?' .... do i tear up my birth plan and the 2 hrs wasted on something i knew might not happen anyway?

How do you get around this?

Also my hubby doesnt want a home birth with the birthing pool as he's worried and i am too so thats out.

Is it seriously just luck on the day?

Replies

• Hi there, yes most only have one pool and its on a first come first serve basis so yes you might luck out and not get to use it.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on your birth plan as things can change rapidly and there is nothing worse than getting your hopes up on something and then getting let down.

I should know cause it happened to me!! I always wanted a natural home birth and my midwife was really in favour, I had ordered the home pool and was set on the idea, then a week before my due date my bp shot up and the consultant said a straight NO to the home birth. I was devastated!!
    I then spent everyday up the hospital waiting around and have bp checked constantly and then when I was 5 days over they decided to induce me, and after 19hours of being in labour ended up being taken for an emergency c-sec as lo was very distressed. He was born by c-sec 20minutes later and the reason he was so distressed and I wasn't dilating properly was cause the cord was wrapped round his neck 3 times!!

Now in hindsight I am very glad I didn't get my wish for a home birth as I would have still been rushed to hospital and it could have jeopardised baby's life.

So be open minded please, and have a plan but we aware that things might have to change

Good luck xx
  • Hi there, yes most only have one pool and its on a first come first serve basis so yes you might luck out and not get to use it.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on your birth plan as things can change rapidly and there is nothing worse than getting your hopes up on something and then getting let down.

I should know cause it happened to me!! I always wanted a natural home birth and my midwife was really in favour, I had ordered the home pool and was set on the idea, then a week before my due date my bp shot up and the consultant said a straight NO to the home birth. I was devastated!!
    I then spent everyday up the hospital waiting around and have bp checked constantly and then when I was 5 days over they decided to induce me, and after 19hours of being in labour ended up being taken for an emergency c-sec as lo was very distressed. He was born by c-sec 20minutes later and the reason he was so distressed and I wasn't dilating properly was cause the cord was wrapped round his neck 3 times!!

Now in hindsight I am very glad I didn't get my wish for a home birth as I would have still been rushed to hospital and it could have jeopardised baby's life.

So be open minded please, and have a plan but we aware that things might have to change

Good luck xx
  • I think it does come down to luck on the day which was one big push for me to go down the home birth route. But if a home birth is not something you would consider then still prepare for your waterbirth in the hospital. Just like any birth, you can be well prepared for your ideal birth and write a wonderful birth plan but you need to go into it prepared that it may not all go to that plan (of course many still do though!).
    Maybe some of the other girls who've had hospital waterbirths can comment but from the people I know who went in for one, the birth pool was available for them when they went in. Surprisingly (to me), more women choose not to have them than to have them.
  • I would look into seeing if you could hire one and use it at the hospital. I dont know if they would allow it, but its worth asking!! I had a great water birth and was very lucky that the birthing pool was free, and in a huge room, but with my first it was a totally different story.
    But some times your birthing plan does get thrown out the window, just be prepeared for change!
  • hi there,

i actually switched hospitals to a quieter one which had 2 pools. it is just luck on the day unfortunately, rubbish i know. i had it fixed in my head that the pools would be busy so to be honest it was a bonus when they were free (we were the only people in the whole unit!).

as for your birth plan there are lots of things that you do regardless of pool - in mine i only had this one bit -

??????? I would really like to have a water birth if this is possible, waiting until I am at least 4-5cm dilated before entering the birthing pool. I would like to have my baby inside the birthing pool if possible.

- the rest was general things like vit k, cutting cord, looking for the sex etc.

xx
  • Hi

I would have loved to have a water birth, I had written it into my birth plan (as I was low dependancy) and i'd heard it was very good for pain relief, however my labour happened so fast (2hrs 43mins for 1st baby) I didn't have time to have my baby in the pool!

I think you just need to keep your options open and see what happens on the day.

Good luck