Forum home Babies Baby

3 door car and getting back from hospital?

Hi ladies,

My fiance and I are starting to think about getting to and from the hospital when bubs arrives. We have a 3 door car, and I was wondering what other ladies done with a 3 door? I think that the car seat has to go in the front passenger seat? Did you find it ok getting in and out the back of the car after labour? I'm thinking about the bending and twisting that you need to do when getting into the back of a 3 door car - never mind having been in labour, or having has a c-section??!

My fiance has suggested that I get a taxi back if it's too painful to get in the car, and he will drive back with bubs following the car so we arrive home together - but I can't think of anything worse than being away from them both, even for the 20 min journey home!! Sounds ridiculous I know, but I think I'll just want to be with them both!

Did anyone have a 3 door car when they went home with Bubs? How did you find it?

Rucky and Bubs 24&4

Replies

• my mum has a little yaris 3 door and we manage to put the car seat in the back when she looks after my ds, its a bit fiddly but your OH could do it, which would mean you can sit in the front, i would recommend getting a mirror to attach to the rear head rest so you can see your bubba from the front x
    good luck x
  • I had a 3 door car when i had my DS2. It was fine, its harder work when pregnant than after. We put LO in the back seat and i went in the front. We had it for a wee while before and after and it was much worse at other times. When i was 8 months pg my 16 month old broke his leg so i was getting him in and out the back into his car seat with a plaster on his leg, a bump and a bad back.

Dont worry about it, it will be fine!

Gemm x
  • When I came back from hospital my Mum drove us as OH can't drive, and he sat in the back with LO and I sat in the front
  • We've got a three door fiesta and had no problems getting back from the hospital. The car seat is in the back and I climbed onto the back seat to get Sophie into her seat. The front passenger seat has to be all the way forward though as there was not enough room otherwise. I then sat in the front and it was all fine.

We will probably get a bigger car soon though.
  • Hi we had a 3dr Fiat Punto up until ds was 1. We put the car seat in the back we had an autofix base to make it easier to get the seat in and out and then once he'd outgrown that seat he was in a forward facing one which was easier to begin with but by the time he was nearing 1 it became quite difficult,

Remember you cannot use a rear facing car seat in the front if there is an air bag!
  • Sorry for my stupideness - is it ok to but the newborn car seat in the back then? I have it in my head that it should go in the passenger seat? There is an airbag in the passenger seat, which we thought we would just get deactivated, but if the seat can go in the back, then problem solved?
  • We had a 3 door coupe when first lo was born, I was planning on sitting in the back with baby but soon realised I physically couldn't get in the car! I had torn during the birth and was agony trying to sit down so lo had to go in the back and I had to sit in the front sideways. We both were so worried but lo slept for the 15 minute drive and was fine. I would recomend the rear seat mirrors though for your own peace of mind.

Cat xxx
  • Sorry for my stupideness - is it ok to but the newborn car seat in the back then? I have it in my head that it should go in the passenger seat? There is an airbag in the passenger seat, which we thought we would just get deactivated, but if the seat can go in the back, then problem solved?

The carseat is actually safer in the back than the front hunni xx
  • we have two 3-door cars (a KA and a fiesta) and have found it all fine (thought we'd struggle).car seat went in the back from the start (both front passenger seats have airbags so you can't use them for infant seats) and it was absolutely fine. neither oh or i sit in the back with libby - she sparks out as soon as we're moving and it means she got used to 'being on her own' in the back for when just she and i go out in the car on our own.
    xx