Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

need some advice

Hi ladies

I have moved Tyler from his cot in our room into a cotbed in his own room. We have baby due in 2 weeks. We tried a few weeks ago with me sleeping on a camp bed next to him & he woke up crying 3 times in the night so we bought him bk in with us for a while and are now trying again. I cant sleep on the camp bed anymore its too uncomfortable for me but when he wakes in the night he screams & we cant settle him back to sleep. He still wakes once at around midnight and once at 5am even when hes in our room. Im not fussed about him waking as long as he settles again.

Any ideas ladies please!!!!

Replies

• Hi hun, I know from posts in the past that you're not up for controlled crying which is what I'd usually suggest. So, baring that in mind, I think there's little all else you can do than find a comfortable way of staying with him until he falls asleep. He's obviously in the habbit of needing you there to settle off to sleep, and the only way to break this is to get him used to settling on his own - ie, you not being in the room. I can see why at 38weeks preg a camp bed would be uncomfortable, bess you, could OH not trade places with you and sleep in with tyler on the camp bed for now?
  • Hi hun, I know from posts in the past that you're not up for controlled crying which is what I'd usually suggest. So, baring that in mind, I think there's little all else you can do than find a comfortable way of staying with him until he falls asleep. He's obviously in the habbit of needing you there to settle off to sleep, and the only way to break this is to get him used to settling on his own - ie, you not being in the room. I can see why at 38weeks preg a camp bed would be uncomfortable, bess you, could OH not trade places with you and sleep in with tyler on the camp bed for now?
  • I would say you need to break the habit asap of him being used to being in your room or you being near him when he falls asleep, as once your new lo arrives you will have more than enough to worry about. We put my first lo in a bed at 15 months as our second lo was due when he would be about 17 months old. I basically got him a nice Thomas the Tank engine duvet cover set, and made it really exciting that he was going to be in a big boy bed. Thankfully he took to it really well, otherwise I would have gone down the controlled crying route.
    If you really don't want to do that why not do the compromise where you can go and pick him up at intervals to calm him down and then put him back to bed again.
    It basically sounds like he needs to learn to be able to fall asleep on his own, that is why if he stirs in the night he needs you to go in to him to help him settle again.
    My second lo arrived 10 days early and was feeding every two hours so I was very glad to not have to be up in the night with my older lo too!

Fingers crossed you get him sleeping through asap xx
  • As the others have said he relies on you to fall asleep. If you don't wanna use controlled crying have you thought about using the gradual retreat/disappearing chair method where you gradually move closer to the door and eventually out the room, little by little each night.

Good luck and hope he settles for you soon, also good luck with your new lo xx
  • I would try Liz's idea of making his 'big boy' bed really special and exciting for him! Secondly could you not put him in with one of your older boys? The reason I say this as Livs didn't want to be in a bed in her own room (on her own) so we now have Molly on her own in Livs old room and Charlie and Livs together in bunk beds. Livs love it!!! She's taken to sleeping in there so well she doesn't even get out of bed anymore! When I tried her before she would get up constantly!! I really think she feels 'safer' in with Charlie and prefers the bunk bed to her toddler bed. So bless Molly is sleeping in her toddler bed at the mo, lol!!!! She's quite happy though as she's got her own room now so feels more 'grown up'. I think you need to do something asap as you don't want to be getting up to him when the new baby comes hun, you'll be exhausted! Best of luck with it and if you need anything I'm always an Email or txt away hun. hugs x x x