Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My baby daughter will not sleep through the night - Help!

Hi, I'm new to the toddler thread! My daughter is almost 15 months old and is still refusing to sleep through the night! I am still breastfeeding her, as she is refusing to stop, we have such a close relationship!

I am very sleep deprived, as she has not slept consistently through the night since she was about five months old!

The Health Visitors are not much help either! I am so tired, I'm losing focus, it's hard to get through the day and keep up with the daily chores and bits and pieces, not to mention driving! I also have eight year old adopted twins!

I know the milk is spoiling her appetite a bit, but she does not like formula (which is fine), but she is not a fan of cows milk either! She eats fine most of the time, but it does not seem enough to get her through the night!

I know she really enjoys our cuddles, when she feeds, but I can't go on with her getting up 3-4 times a night, it's driving me crazy!!!, my husband can't really help much either due to his shift pattern!

It's really putting me off having anymore, as I know,I will make the same mistakes! I've let her get away with alot, as it took me along time to fall pregnant with her and I don't know if I can have anymore (no problems,that we know of!)

I don't know what it's like to have a proper nights sleep, I'm really miserable!

Don't get me wrong, I love breastfeeding, but I'm really small and not a big eater! I know she does not need it, but she get so upset!

We put her back into our room, to help her as she did not like being on her own and it took me ages just to get to sleep in her own cot again!

Just feeling like I've failed her and myself! They say if you take the breast milk away straight away that she could become distressed and traumatised!!!

Please help!

Very,very sad Mandy X

Replies

• Mandy, how awful for you. I had the opposite problem at Bronwyn's birth in that she refused to breast feed and physically couldn't so I spent months beating myself up about it. Crying when people talked about how they had managed to breast feed, and often people criticised me for not breast feeding her.

I am sorry that I can't help. I hope you sort this out soon, for your own sake as much as anything else!!
  • Hi Mandy,
    So sorry you are going through this, Its a shame that your HV have been unable to give you any help or suggestions?? I only breastfed my first son. (the other two were a whole different story!) And I weaned him at 6months so I can't really give any practical advice. Does she take any drinks from a cup or bottle? Have you tried your husband going to her instead of you and offering a cuddle and back to bed? So that she doesn't associate breastfeeding with him. Have you read the baby whisperer book? Its really good and gentle approach to sleep problems. You should be able to get it from your library its by Tracey Hogg.
  • Sorry to hear about this!
    Have you tried giving her some cereal before bed, Jessica has her tea at five and then has a weetabix and bottle at seven just before bed time, if she does not have this she will wake in the night for milk xx
  • Thank you for your replies. She does have a cup, she really like drinking from it with baby juice.

I sure it's not as bad as I make out, I was having a real off day, I'm sure she will stop soon! Fingers crossed!

I will try another meal, like cereal before bed.

Many Thanks

Mandy X
  • We used to give riley poridge before bed as its thicker and kept him fuller for longer,he was on 4 mini meald a day from about 7mths.

Have you tryed expressing and like nicola says get hubby to give it to her,see if that helps.

Do hope you get sorted soon,take care chat soon.

Emma
  • Thanks for your understanding, sometimes you are not sure what to do for the best!, it's only because I have spoilt her with some much love if that's possible!

Mandy X