Forum home Babies Baby

Drinking Water for babies

Hi ladies,

My LO is 5.5months and when we start weaning I know that we should offer water as much as possible. At 6 months does the water have to still be cooled boiler water and or could you use tap water?

Also once LO has drank some of the water, is it safe for him to keep drinking from the same bottle several times throughout the day or would you sterilise every time they take a drink?

thank you as always x

Replies

• You can give them tap water from 6 months, although my LO prefers the cooled boiled water just to be awkward!

I have always given her water from a tippee cup as she used to stain the teats orange when drinking water with her meals, but I would guess that the same bottle is fine as long as there isn't food on it.

I tend to rinse her cup and change the water every meal but leave it in between for her to sip x
  • After 6 months you can use tap water and the bottles/beakers don't need to be sterilised either. I just put mine through the dshwasher with everything else.
  • Thanks ladies,

I thought I'd read somewhere 6 months they can have tap water, Makes it a lot easier not having to sterilise too x
  • I think the main reason you steralise the teats is because milk can accumulate bacteria really easily at the teat...water can't so I would be a bit more relaxed about that x
  • I think the main reason you steralise the teats is because milk can accumulate bacteria really easily at the teat...water can't so I would be a bit more relaxed about that x
  • out of interest does that mean when you make up a bottle of milk after 6 months, you dont have to use cooled boiled water??
  • Mrs Mummy,

No you still need to use boiled water as the formula powder isn't sterile so the heat of the water ensures it kills of any bacteria etc x