Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Calling all serial testers!

Hi,

I am totally confused and know that you ladies are bound to offer some wisdom. Right - 1st day of AF was 15th May. I ovulated (I think, not charting at the mo) around the 30th May/1st June. We BD'd frequently around that and call it women's intuition, but I felt really positive. Now, at 21/22 days I have started to have a REALLY odd CM - sometimes very wet and thin and once or twice really thick. I was a tad confused so yestreday I took a Superdrug test and it came up BFN - wasn't too surprised as is really early, but for some reason decieded to do a cheap OPK today and that came up with a faint line. I know OPKs can detect pregnancy, but surely not if an HPT didn't? Anyway - my cycles are roughly 28/30 days so should expect AF around the 14th June. I am so confused now - I thought I had it all sussed and was just sitting out the 2ww. Now I don't know if I did ovulate etc.... rar. Why isn't this simpler?!

Replies

• Hi MrsEH, OPK's will show lines in all phases of your cycle and so I wouldn't rely on seeing a line on that as any indication of a bfp as you have levels of LH in your system all the time. It is only when LH rises and you see the test line become as dark as the control line do you know that you're about to ov. opk's pick up hcg as well as LH (as they are chemically similar) but with LH always in your urine it is not a good indicator of the presence of hcg. If you were due af and you had a very dark test line on an opk, I would say take a hpt as chances are you'd get a bfp. Otherwsie you will see lines on your opk all the time. Sorry to put a damper on things.

The 2ww is terrible I know, but unfortunately it would be too early to get a bfp (if you did ov on the 31st/1st) even if your intuition is right and you are pg this month. You will need to wait until about 9dpo (at a minimum) in my experience (i've had bfn's up until 10dpo before now). So I would wait until the 10th June at the earliest and test again with a hpt. Good luck hun. x
  • Didn't want to r&r, I'd leave it a couple of days and test again Hun, opks can pick up HcG my cbfm did last month! Fingers crossed for you xx
  • Just wanted to add I just re read your op, you're only 5dpo and you may be pg but it wouldn't show up yet as the bean needs to implant before it produces enough hcg to show in a urine test. Sorry Hun it's late and I can't count! Xx
  • opks can pick up hcg but unless the opk is positive i.e the test line is darker or as dark as the control line its still a neg result. they can show faint lines throughout most of your cycle.
  • Hiya

My dates are exactly same as yours, this is my 1st month off pill. 1st day of period was 15th may and im due around 15th June. Ive been having lots of cm and shooting period type pains, will see in a week or so!! Good Luck xx
  • Thanks ladies... all of this has taken over my brain and I have become completely irrational - much to the amusement of hubby!

Oooh MrsJohnstone, I just replied to your thread before I saw this... keep me updated on how you are doing. Would be nice to have someone to compare with!
  • Thanks ladies... all of this has taken over my brain and I have become completely irrational - much to the amusement of hubby!

Oooh MrsJohnstone, I just replied to your thread before I saw this... keep me updated on how you are doing. Would be nice to have someone to compare with!