Forum home Babies Baby

Travelling abroad, is mineral water safe for bottles?

Evening ladies

I am off on my hols on Saturday to Spain and will be taking my 5 month old along. As he is still formula fed can anyone recommend a bottled water that is ok to use for him? Or is it safe to use boiled tap water.

I am aware that some brands of bottled water are not safe to use so I want to make sure that I get the right one.

Thanks

Kay x

Replies

• Hi,

Evian is fine to use, but as long as the sodium level is less than 200mg per litre then you can use any brand.

We took Grace to Minorca at 7.5 months at the start of May and we used both Evian and a local brand which had low levels. There are also some brands over there with pics of babies on the bottle to indicate they are safe to use.

Have fun!

Em x
  • We've just come back from 2 weeks in Spain. Initially I used Evian but the 2nd week we actually used the tap water. We were staying in a Villa and the info said the water was safe. It tasted fine and my lo was fine with it all cool boiled.
  • We're just back from Ibiza. Tap water is perfectly adequate- you'll boil it to sterilize and you won't need to use bottled water. We used the local water and it was fine.

Jx
  • Personally I would use bottled water. I live in Italy and have family with babies who live in Spain. They all use bottled water. Usually water suitable for babies is really cheap in the supermarkets and you know that its mineral content in safe for a LO.

Joanna x
  • sorry to g/c but you you have any suggestions how to sterilise the bottles when you're away? We're going in October and I'm really wondering how we'll do that!?

Liz x
  • Hi,
    I live in Spain and use mineral water for my LO's bottles. There are three main brands here which are "safe" for babies.
    They are:
    Nestle AQUAREL
    FONT VELLA
    and
    BEZOYA.
    You can get six-pack of litre bottles in any supermarket. The phrase in Spanish for low levels of minerals is usually shown on the bottles with
    "De mineralizaci????n muy d????bil". Font Vella has a pic of a baby on the bottle label and markets itself as the suitable choice for babies.
    Hope this helps! And enjoy your holiday, the weather is divine now!
  • sorry to g/c but you you have any suggestions how to sterilise the bottles when you're away? We're going in October and I'm really wondering how we'll do that!?

Liz x

If your accomodation has a microwave, you could get some Lindam sterilser bags, they weigh nothing and don't take up any space in your bags/