Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mum dipped babys dummy in methadone!!! WTF??????????

A woman who nearly killed her baby by dipping his dummy in the heroin substitute methadone has been jailed for three years.

Susan Taylor, 29, tried to calm the 10-week-old boy by rubbing the dummy in a measuring cup used for the drug, a court heard.

When paramedics arrived at the scene the baby had vomit on his face, his lips were blue and his face was grey.

Taylor was sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh on September 11 last year.

But the judge, Lord Bannatyne, banned reporting of the case at the time because her partner, Lynn Cowan, also faced court in connection with the child.

Cowan, 28, was jailed for 10 months at Edinburgh Sheriff Court after she admitted failing to tell medics that the boy had been given methadone.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that the child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, almost died.

Taylor's jail term was to follow a 26-month sentence she was already serving at Cornton Vale for assaulting and robbing a 66-year-old woman.

Sentencing Taylor last year, Lord Bannatyne said: "It is my view that there's a high degree of recklessness and culpability involved in the course of this offence.

"There was in addition a real danger to the life of this child.

"I note that you have what can only be described as a very serious and bad record."

The court heard that Taylor, who was prescribed the drug, called emergency services when she found the boy was not breathing on Saturday November 22 2008.

Paramedics said Taylor appeared "disinterested" when they arrived at the Edinburgh flat.

Advocate Depute Morag Jack, prosecuting, said: "They immediately noticed that he did not appear to be breathing apart from a single gasp for air.

"He was cold to touch, however there was a pulse."

The two paramedics gave the baby oxygen but he suffered a seizure and continued to fit throughout the journey to hospital.

The court heard that samples from the baby showed "dangerous" levels of the drug.

The baby had no "malicious injuries" on him.

Taylor admitted to drugs workers that she had dipped the dummy into a measuring cup used for methadone on two occasions.

She admitted culpably and recklessly causing the baby to ingest methadone to the danger of his life.

Taylor's defence agent called for leniency and added: "It is obvious to me that she is shocked by the effects of what she did and that she did it without realising just how serious it was."

Replies

• i don't actually have any words for this! poor little mite, i hope he'll be alright and not suffer any lasting damage. i'm not just disgusted by it, i'm actually saddned by it, poor little boy xx
  • i don't actually have any words for this! poor little mite, i hope he'll be alright and not suffer any lasting damage. i'm not just disgusted by it, i'm actually saddned by it, poor little boy xx
  • Same here WowBaby - it's unimaginable that there are drugs so addictive that it's makes a mother so uncaring towards her child. She just wanted him to shut up I suppose.

Poor little thing. xx
  • x dup post x

[Modified by: ~ Tottie ~ on June 08, 2010 11:56 PM]

• I saw this today, I can't believe that she would do this to a baby to stop it crying!! I was in shock!! Its awful
  • In my opinion that is a disgrace and rubbish that she didn't realise!!

She doesn't deserve to have children

xx
  • I saw this today, I can't believe that she would do this to a baby to stop it crying!! I was in shock!! Its awful
  • Makes you wonder why a heroin addict on probabtion for robbery had custody of a 10 week old baby?
  • its disgusting! i dont know why some people have children.
  • in cases like this the word sterilisation springs to mind!
  • in cases like this the word sterilisation springs to mind!
  • - this makes me disguisted , saddened & worried along with all other emotions .. how can a mother someone who is given a baby to love and to care for can actuallly do that to their " own".. (not speaking from experience , but i do know ) Methadone is a drug to put you to sleep or make you very very drowsy ( you go on the nod ) and to even dip a childs dummy in methadone at that age is practically Death , how this poor baby survived overdose i have no idea , ( but im glad he did ) the most horrible thing in this world is for a mothers baby to be taken from her .. But this baby needs to be taken or where is it going to end up ? .. poor little soul . This is Not a Mother & Not a life any human being should be raised in .. If the mother is so out of it she cant even handle her own baby because shes too drugged up then she needs to do whats best for himm , not hurt him ( he didnt make himself ) I personally reckon this mother wanted the baby to sleep & gave it methadone to try and put it to sleep .. If your baby is crying and you cant handle that, so you give it methadone - think of what ur capable of for a baby - thats practically murder... i hope & pray this baby is in a better place . safe & sound .. image xxx
  • I saw this on the news yesterday and my jaw literally dropped to the floor! It's just shocking and so sad for that poor little boy to be born to a mother like that!
    I hope he gets taken into a loving family that really look after him properly and give him the life he deserves. x x x
  • totally agree with akalady wtf is up with social services (or the government) allowing the baby to be in her care??!! did any one see that documentary the other night with the undercover guy in social services, the government needs to wise up you could see the staff were up to their eyeballs and the amount of kids being failed due to this (above case yet another one) it must be an awful job