Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what age...

okay so what age would you let your children watch lord of the rings? I apologize for the o/t but my children are now panicking at bedtime because dh, not so dear atm, was asked to watch our 2 and 4 year old for three hours this afternoon while I attend an out patients appointment for our other daughter, and he put on lord of the rings. Soo mad, he's off with his mates for a night out and I can't get the kids to bed they are freaking out. Any tips for calming kids down who are now terrified mordor is under the rug.... could I possible plead insanity if I beat dh about the head with a pot?

sorry for rant, babe is still walking every one and half hours ate night and I am desparate for some sleep after being up all night with a sick 5 year old.

xx

Replies

• Men huh?! I don't think they use their brain most of the time!
    Have you tried reading them a few really nice bedtime stories and explaining what they saw was silly made up stories. Maybe focus on the nicer bits and make up a really happy story with them?

Fingers crossed you get them settled ok and it doens't cause any nightmares! xx
  • Oh, I totally sympathise. My dh thought just before bed would be a good time to tell our 5 yr old that when our cat goes to the vet she might not be coming home again! (she's pretty old and a poorly now). Men!

I just let her have extra cuddles with me on the sofa and stay up a bit later until she was really tired.

Hope they settle soon.
  • Do you know, I'm quite relaxed about the tv, but no, definitely not Lord of the Rings! My 8yr old hasn't seen it - it's quite dark and violent isn't it?

Mine do watch Doctor Who - which I know some would disapprove of - and they have seen the first Harry Potter film - which did frighten them a bit.

xx
  • Do you know, I'm quite relaxed about the tv, but no, definitely not Lord of the Rings! My 8yr old hasn't seen it - it's quite dark and violent isn't it?

Mine do watch Doctor Who - which I know some would disapprove of - and they have seen the first Harry Potter film - which did frighten them a bit.

xx

I think it's a compulsory right of passage in this country for little kids to watch Doctor Who and be scared of it!!! They have to build up a natural fear of aliens somehow. image

Could you maybe try appointing something to look after them... ie. don't worry because Mr Bear is fantastic at keeping monsters away in the night! I know this is probably just playing to their fears but it might help a little, especially if they are struggling with the difference between fiction/reality as many do at that age (go on, admit it, you all tried to climb into the wardrobe to find Narnia!)
  • Mrs CP Thank you! I feel the same about Dr Who - but I have had reactions ranging from polite, 'Oh no, far too scary' to one mum who tutted and rolled her eyed to heaven!!!

Oh well - we think it's harmless!!

xx
  • My dad let me watch the exorsist when I was 11....I still shudder when I watch that now lol I was up for three days solid and my mum stopped talking to my dad or that length too lol.

I would just do the same and let them stay up with me or let them in my bed and put the telly on to watch something a little fluffier..or you could try this thing I read somewhere and thought was genius. What you do is get an empty skooshy bottle (like the mr muscle or dettol ones) take the label off and (if your artsy) make another label which says 'monsters away' orsomething...then fill it up with water and glitter or something and give it to your child and tell them it's monster repellent and let them skoosh everywhere they think te monster might be? I plan on doing this at some point lol x
  • what a long night.... but I must thank you ladies for your awesome ideas. I loaded up an empty fairy dishsoap bottle with 'baddy' go away liquid, and cuddled up with them and read them winnie the pooh stories until 2:20am. I also put up a crystal in their window which threw rainbows all over the walls until the sun went down, and told them 'baddies' can't come in rooms where crystals put rainbows on the walls. In a vain hope they might fall asleep before the sun set. They each have a 'protector' animal they have slept with since birth and I have to say up until last night they have always worked excellent at getting them to bed. I just can't understand men's thinking sometimes, sigh.

thank you

xx