Forum home Babies Baby

People are so bloody rude

Honestly, since giving birth I don't know what the hell is wrong with people, in the nearly 5 short months my daughter has been around I just seem to constantly be faced with rude ignorant people when I'm out with her?? and the worst thing is that it always seems to be women in or around the over 50's bracket?

I just went to Sainsburys, I only live a 10 minute walk from there and so I don't take the car, why would I, it's good to get some fresh air! So I take the pram and grab a basket and do my shopping, when I get to the checkout I queue up and the lady in front of me starts bitching to her other half saying why don't I use the self service checkout as I only have a basket. I tell you why, because the bloody aisle there is too narrow and my pram blocks it, and also, if I'm scanning my own stuff through the bloody self service who's packing it for me?? that's right, no one, so it takes twice as bloody long! Really, the silly cow could see I was on my own with a pram so why bitch?

It's just the latest in a long list of people being rude, the other day my other half and I were walking along near some shops and my oh pulled the pram over to the side so we could discuss where to go next, he wasn't in the way, but yet another woman old enough to know better said "what the f*** is going on here, for gods sake get out of the way", we weren't in the bloody way??? My oh was so angry I had to hold him back from chasing this woman and her husband down the street!

I'm not ancient by any means but we were bought up to stand up and give older people our seat on the bus/train and we always did, but hell, I don't know if I'm going to bother anymore when people old enough to know better are so constantly rude?? It's not like i'm some 16 year old chav prancing around the place with my new "babby" and buying my food with my benefit money, and actually even if I was, it's not doing any harm to anyone else?

I don't know, it just seems that every day I am more and more shocked by peoples lack of manners and helpfulness towards mothers and their children. :roll:

Replies

• i know what you mean there!! i HATE getting the bus in to town as I have had nothing but people moan at me about having a pushchair on the bus. some stupid woman (60's) was complaining because she wanted to put her bloody shopper in the same space, and spent ages moaning to people about 'youngsters with prams'. if i had not been so annoyed i would have been happy, seeing as I am 30 now image not been a youngster for a while.
  • and people wonder why children are so bad mannered??

you are not alone although i cant bite my tougue and often make a comment!! it isnt always recieved well!!
  • Ohhhhh don't get me started on this subject!!!!! .... Oh you have lol......

What's with people when you go to leave a shopping centre and there are 4 push doors and 1 automatic one for prams & wheelchairs but everyone is lazy and use the automatic door and do they wait for you with a pram???? Of course not!!

People moan and give you dirty looks on buses and the the bus driver goes off before you get buggy brake on our child sat on your lap.

I went on a train a few weeks ago heavily preggers with toddler and folded buggy. It was about to depart & everyone was taking up a seat and had their bag on the seat next to them. No one moved their bag so I could sit down. I had to struggle down the carriage while it was moving and a man helped me when my son fell over! I was so shocked!

Now I have had baby we needed to pop to mothercare. Took both kids in the car and the car in front of us nicked the last parent/toddler space-& she didn't have kids with her. Hubby tried to find her in the shop to Have a word but I stopped him! We struggled back to the car with week old baby, me a week after giving birth and a toddler.... Look over at her car & she has got the sales assistant to help her with her shopping to the car (she had no big items)!! My hubby was so angry!!

I'm sure there is loads more but they are my recent incidents!!
  • Some people are just downright rude. Why do some people have to open their big mouth just to say something completely unecessary(sp?)

A few days ago I was trying to get my buggy on the bus and it was quite packed but there was a pushchair space and it took me quite a while in all fareness but not incredibly long and the tuts and sighs I got was unreal! made me feel so stupid felt like everyone was looking at me, people couldn't of bothered that much though as no one offered a hand.

Another thing that bugs me is when people knowingly barge their shopping past you and it hits you and they dont even apologise! if I every barge someone by accident I always just say sorry even if they didnt realise and I did I still say it. Its just politeness and manners they dont cost a thing so no excuse!!

We have always been taught to give up our seat to the elderly/disabled ect I love doing it to be honest makes me feel good. The world would be a better place if more people had consideration and manners.

And stop. Rant over LOL
  • Oh, I could have a good rant about this as well. It's like when you have a baby you become a second class citizen and half the time are invisible as well.
    I was at the swimming pool the other day and there is a small flight of stairs to go up inside and it has one of those really slow lifts that you have to hold the button for the whole way, anyway a man and his older child got in it just before us, it would have take about a minute to go all the way down and back up again so I just bumped the pram down the stairs giving him a dirty look through the glass, he at least looked guilty about it though.
    And when you are out and about with the pram the amount of times people just cut you up as if what they are doing is far more important than anything I could possibly need to do. Sometimes though I will not give way and give them a little clip on their heels and then when they turn and give me a dirty look I quite clearly tell them that they walked in front of me.
  • G/C but I just had to agree. It's like when people go to supermarkets they leave their manners at the front door! You stop and let them through aisle (because some fool has decided the middle of the aisle is a good place for a convo) and they walk really slowly through the gap and don't even aknowledge you as they pass!! I always make a comment though. It bugs me too much. Like you say manners cost nothing and tbh it makes you look rude and inconsiderate if you don't! What is the world coming to eh?!

Xx
  • can i join in on the rant? - i was in asda shopping with my husband and we have my 8 month old daughter sat in the seat of the trolly, she loves sitting up and looking around. Casually shopping an elderly lady came up to me and my husband to tell us off for having the baby in the trolly seat as she was too tired and should be laying down. Aside for the fact its none of her business, she felt it necessary to breath her smokey breath all over my child. People are so bloody rude!
  • "they walk really slowly through the gap and don't even aknowledge you as they pass!! I always make a comment though."

lol, i always yell 'your welcome' fot hem if they cba to have manners lol. i do get trolley rage, i ahte hate hate it when people stop in the middle cos they've bumped into someone they know, and another pet peeve (and my SIL does this ALL the time) is when people leave there trolleys in one place then wander off down the aisle to get the thinsg they wnat, while they're trolley is just in the way, grr! i also hate how old people think the buggy/wheelchair space on buses is for oaps or for their shopping trolleys! grr! i couldn't believe it when some woman had hers in the' buggy bit and when i asked her to move it, after couple of minutes of trying to squeeze it in iwth it in the way and the bus driving already, she had the cheek to 'tut' at me! couldn't believe it, its not a bloody shopping wheely bag park, quite clearly syas for buggies and wheel chairs, and a shopping bag is neither of those things! grr! x
  • Mrsmummy I HATE that when people have just put out a cigarette and you can smell it and then they come it admiring LO fair enough I like when people make a fuss of my little girl she loves but not when all I can smell is horrible fag breath!! if I can smell it my LO can too.

• oh god I nearly smacked this woman on my highstreet for being so rude! And it was only the first time I had taken DS out shopping myself!!

In the middle of the highstreet there is a bridge that overlooks the traintracks and this older couple for some odd reason were looking down onto the tracks, right up against the bridge. The man turns to his left to start walking and the woman steps BACkWARDS onto a busy main street road!!! I was pushing the pram and lo was fast asleep too and suddenly I went right over her heels and the pram went onto two wheels it was that forcefull. It woke up my baby even and he started crying! I mumbled sorry (I say sorry to chairs when I bump into them) and when I was past her I heard her say 'For goodness SAKE' really loudly so I span right round and said something like 'its not my fault you backed onto a highstreet pavement without looking' to which she replied 'you had the whole pavement to yourself with that pram you shouldnt have been so near us' I was godsmacked!! So, in a very unlike me way I told her I was only responsible for my child and not for totally idiotic strangers who dont look where theyre going!

God you get so defensive when you have a baby dont you!
  • When my dd was 8 wks old,we were out shopping just after she had had her injections was asleep in her pram a woman bent over & said what a lovely baby,mind she would look better without her dummy in! I find it bizare that people feel the need to say something to you esp when they don't know you.
  • thebelle, I totally agree with you on the cigarette smoke, I have told people before to not breathe their nasty cigarette breath on my baby!
  • When my dd was 8 wks old,we were out shopping just after she had had her injections was asleep in her pram a woman bent over & said what a lovely baby,mind she would look better without her dummy in! I find it bizare that people feel the need to say something to you esp when they don't know you.

this reminds me of another incident I have had! Ds was just 1yr old but looks older for his age. We were in quite a nice pub having a meal with my parents. Ds had been very good and eaten his food with lovely manners and had been quiet. He finished his food before us so o gave him his dummy to keep him quiet and because he was getting tired. The man (man in his 60's) at the next table with his wife started talking to ds like he was about 4 years old - like he was expecting a reply. Ds was smiling laughing etc and I filled in their 'convesation' politly like you do. Then the bloke says to ds 'you are too old for a dummy!' I said 'he is only one' and the bloke seemed shocked but what I wanted to say was ....... You are enjoying a nice quiet lunch because my son has a dummy in. I can take it away if you like but he will scream & ruin everyones lunchtime!! I can't believe what people come out with!!
  • Completely agree, the other day hubby and I were shopping ata a local store and he was just hooking the bags onto the pram while I was putting my money and receipt away and the woman behind me shoved me out the way to start packing her stuff.
    I had a woman two weeks ago lean over the top of dd and start pulling jewellery down to look at and not even saying sorry excuse me do you mind if I get past.
    Also people jumping onto lifts before you when you were there first.
    Oh another one was just after lo was born hubby and I were at the doctor and he was pushing the pram so I went ahead to open the door for him and this woman pushed past him and went out first I went after her to get an apology and she walked away and then when she got in her car she started shouting and swerved the car towards us!!!
  • Just to get my short rant in as well. I was out walking Amelia in her pram in the New Forest the other day and an dog owner had three MASSIVE dogs (not on leads! Which isn't allowed). They decided to have a play fight as we walked past and barged into the pram which I had to struggle to keep upright. It woke Amelia up and she started crying. Did the dog owner say sorry??? Did they heck.

AND I completely agree on the lift front. If you're not disabled or with child, take the BLOODY escalators - they move for you - it's not like you have to climb the stairs. I would take the pushchair on the escalator if I could you lazy bugger.

Right double rant over.
  • our local shopping center has 2 lifts that clearly state only for people with prams, wheelchair users or the disabled, no one gives a diddly that you have been waiting for the lift for 10 mins whilst a load of lazy middle aged dimwits make the most of it (there are esculaters) then give you a dirty look when you remind them who the lift is for, they damn well know who its for just dont give a hoot!

i also hate the comments about LOs dummy, its quite frankly none of thier business!! i also usually get strangers thinking they can walk up and start poking LO, er what is he some kind of toy? i do like it when he screams at them :lol:

i also hate smokers who think its acceptable to stand outside shop doorways, or stand in the middle of the pedestrianised shopping area puffing away,why should my LO have to navigate a cloud of smoke! although i must say parents who smoke over the buggy bugs me more but thats another rant!
  • HI G/C but had to join in!

Sometimes I think old people are the rudest people in the world. Once I was in a (very long) queue at Superdrug when a little old man said "excuse me" and made to reach for the toothbrushes next to me, as the queue was so long it had snaked into the teeth isle. So being nice as I am I moved aside for him. Then the old sod picked his toothbrush, turned round and stayed right there infront of me in the queue, totally pushing in! Anyhoo I was having none of that so I tapped him on the shoulder, pointed to the end of the queue, way back there in the distance and said "I think you will find the end of the queue is down there". As soon as I said that his wife (who had appeared from nowhere) pounced on me and started ranting about how rude young people are (I was in my 20's at the time) and how dare I tell her husband to move, did I not realise that he has fought in the war for people like me? So I said "No, he did not fight in the war so that he could turn into a rude old man and push into people in the chemist. He fought in the war to stop a dictatorial tyrant killing millions of people" and moved round him so that I was in front again. I could hear her tutting and huffing and muttering but tough! It made me so mad!!
  • Loving this thread... this stuff drives me so mad, especially the cigarette smoke! The other day I left my dog outside a shop on her lead while I popped in to get some milk. I came out to find one of the employees chatting away to the dog (fair enough, she is very friendly with everyone by the way, especially kids!) but blowing cigarette smoke all over her. As I approached with the baby my dog barked at this woman because she didn't like having cigarette smoke blown all over her and because she can be quite protective over the baby. The woman acted as if my dog had just bitten her!!!! She barked once, and it wasn't even a savage bark. I felt like turning around and telling her to stop blowing her smoke in my dog's face then. I felt like barking at her!

Probably going to be controversial here though but it does annoy me when parents don't control their children in supermarkets, letting them run all over the aisles, in the way of trolleys etc. I know that kids are kids and fair enough but some parents never even seem to tell them to stop and let them know that the supermarket is not a playground. I understand that kids aren't always well behaved but sometimes a bit of parenting is needed.
  • Loving this thread... this stuff drives me so mad, especially the cigarette smoke! The other day I left my dog outside a shop on her lead while I popped in to get some milk. I came out to find one of the employees chatting away to the dog (fair enough, she is very friendly with everyone by the way, especially kids!) but blowing cigarette smoke all over her. As I approached with the baby my dog barked at this woman because she didn't like having cigarette smoke blown all over her and because she can be quite protective over the baby. The woman acted as if my dog had just bitten her!!!! She barked once, and it wasn't even a savage bark. I felt like turning around and telling her to stop blowing her smoke in my dog's face then. I felt like barking at her!

Probably going to be controversial here though but it does annoy me when parents don't control their children in supermarkets, letting them run all over the aisles, in the way of trolleys etc. I know that kids are kids and fair enough but some parents never even seem to tell them to stop and let them know that the supermarket is not a playground. I understand that kids aren't always well behaved but sometimes a bit of parenting is needed.
  • Oh i love this thread.....

Ever since i started showing ive felt like public proberty, been prodded and stroked by people i dont know, asked random personal questions like ' was your baby planned' and now hes here its even worse.

I havent been out on my own with the pram yet (i use the sling) simply because of the hassle and how rude people are (i also have postnatal back problems due to the rotational forceps). I have ALWAYS, even as a teenager helped women on the bus with prams, ive held countless amount of babies i dont know whilst mums get prams on, wouldnt think twice about helping someone up and downstairs or giving up my seat!!!!
    When i was showing it was mainly only men that offered me a seat on the train too and from work.....

Ok i have to admit prams do slightly annoy me on a busy sat in town or at the shopping centre but now i understand why you mums are so erm...brisk? with them when people are so god damn rude to you!!!

What happened to good old fashioned manners? Whey did men stop holding doors open for women and children saying please and thank you?

Sorry my rant over x x x

Hi O/T here but you say you had back problems due to rotational forceps is there a difference between these and just normal forceps??
    My DD was delivered by keilands rotational forceps and I was just wondering as my back always seems to play up since I had her?!

Lol sorry to go O/T just curious Lol