Forum home Babies Baby

other people's opinions suck sometimes!!!!!!!!!

This is just me wanting to have a rant in the safety of the forum, rather than screaming at a certain someone! She's 4 months pregnant. My mum was holding my DD in a position that meant the only way she could lay DD down on the blanket to sleep without waking her, was on her front. I asked mum to turn her over onto her back, but she said thats shes fine and we're all here and can keep an eye on her. I made a couple more comments about how babies shouldn't really sleep on their fronts and that while I'll keep an eye on her this time, to put her on her back in future. Anyway little miss aaghh (not mum!) then started saying to me to get a grip and that we used to sleep on our fronts when we were babies and we all slept fine and I was over stressing about nothing. I said that actually although we did use to sleep on our fronts, we now don't have babies on their fronts and as a result cot deaths have massively reduced. To which she completely pooed and told me to stop stressing. Anyway she left at that point and I said to mum and dad that I find it really annoying that she acts like I'm a neurotic mum to which dad said "she'll change her opinion once her LO arrives". God I can only hope so.

She is an opinionated so and so and usually I just fob them off, but it absolutely drives me nuts about her opinions about my parenting skills and choices. She's not that keen on my nursery - "too boyish" (its apple green!), babies shouldn't be dressed in white ("too uni-sex"), lie-flat prams are unnecessary ("you can put newborn baby in a carseat for few hours so why not in a pushchair too?") and leaving a baby to cry "won't kill them" (even though I want to solve DD's problem!). And a few other things aswell...

I really hope she does change her ways, don't want it to be a competition between her baby and mine about who has the best parenting skills, its not the way it should be and while I'm all for swapping advice and tales, I'm not for the I'm right, you're obbsessive opinions!

Thats made me feel a bit better! Just had to get that off my shoulders...!
xx

Replies

• and breathe!!

You rant away! I think these comments would really annoy me too! I don't think it's fair when people belittle what you do for your LO, after all they're your LO and you, and only you know what's best for them!! I've had my fair share of comments from people, as I'm sure loads on this site have, and it doesn't matter how many times people say to ignore them, it gets to a point where you do just want to go AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So rant away, and we're all here to listen and support!! xxxxx
  • and breathe!!

You rant away! I think these comments would really annoy me too! I don't think it's fair when people belittle what you do for your LO, after all they're your LO and you, and only you know what's best for them!! I've had my fair share of comments from people, as I'm sure loads on this site have, and it doesn't matter how many times people say to ignore them, it gets to a point where you do just want to go AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So rant away, and we're all here to listen and support!! xxxxx
  • Stupid woman - enjoy the moment when she's had her baby and she's crying because the baby is crying and it's breaking her heart and she can't walk it to sleep because it can't lie flat and it's wearing white because she hasn't had time to do any washing!

I think her opinions may change.

B xx
  • Just tell her this is how you want to do things and she can do what she likes with her little one when its here.

Sibling competition is not good!
    Dx
  • I hate it when people start that ' they used to do it like that and it never caused any harm ' line. I always say Maybe so but times change and i do the best for my baby based on the knowledge of whats best that we have today. If they continue to push I just say well its my decision not yours. Have got too tired of being sensitive to others feelings when they clearly think they can say what ever they please regardless of it upsetting me.

Try and not let it develop into a competition. Could she be jealous you had your baby first?? Did you get the attention when you were pregnant? Could it be now your lo is here and she is pregnant she is not getting the same attention you did? x
  • Im guesing this lady is your sister? I would store alll the little comments she makes and put them to the back of your mind. Then when lo is born just bring stuff up in general conversation. 'oh thats a lovely carrycot...but I thought you werent going to bother?' and let her dig herself out the hole she dug 6 months prior image
  • So many of my family - immediate and extended use that line about "we did it and it never did us any harm". I drives me nuts, there is always new research being conducted and guidelines are revised and based on that, if I as a parent choose to follow the advice that's my prerogative! If I didn't follow the guidelines and god forbid something bad happended, I'd never forive myself.
    You are obviously not alone, we all know someone like this!
    Rant at us and then ignore her and the others.
    xxx
  • Thanks guys, knew I could rely on you to cheer me up again!! Yep, definately gonna just sit back and watch her with her LO, knowing what things shes commented to me!! She was telling me this week that she found out that her chosen pushchair is NOT from birth and therefore has to get the carrycot (she was originally gonna pad out the pushchair to make it flat!!!) - said a silent hahahahaha to myself (god, how childish am I?!)

On the plus side, she was saying that shes praying that her LO is as sweet as my DD...! And I bought a neutral baby outfit for her too, which she actually really loved!

Oh hum!
    xx
  • One argument I would quip back is oh ok i suppose its ok to do things the way they did years ago so when your in labour i'll give you a stick to bite on in an unsterile room with some one who isn't really qualified, after thats how they did it years ago and the human population has still survived, that should shut her up lol