Forum home Babies Baby

Water Birth - what to wear?

Hi, I'm 39 wks today, with my 1st baby.

I'm hoping that when the time comes, the birthing pool may be available for me to use. I'm hoping to labour in the water & possibly also deliver in there, all being well.

My question is... what do you wear in the birthing pool? At first I thought I could get in with a nightie on, then I thought that could be a bit in the way, wet & heavy... so then I thought I could wear my maternity tankini top and now I'm thinking some sort of crop/vest top might be better?

I'm hoping that some of you lovely ladies have already been there & can advise me on what's best please!

Thanks, Anna x

Replies

• I was hoping for a waterbirth, but my LO ruined that plan by putting in an appearance 5 weeks early!
    Had I been able to go in the pool I had planned on wearing a tankini top and nothing on the bottom,
    I think it's ideal to wear something designed for water so it doesn't become heavy and uncomfortable. Though I did suspect that I may have ended up naked by the end of it getting frustrated and clostrophobic!?
    Hope someone who's actually been there can share their advice and good luck with labour
    xxx
  • I had a water birth with ds2. I took my bikini top to wear, but when it came to it I wore nothing. I didn't want anything touching me.

I also gave birth naked to ds1, although that wa on a bed.........

xxx
  • I had intended on wearing a bikini top and had a lycra tennis skirt but that all went out the window and I wore nothing! By all means, prepare to have something if you feel you will want to protect your modesty but when it comes to the time it may be the last thing on your mind as you may want just nothing on you and feel more comfortable that way!
    I hope you have a wonderful water birth, they are amazing.
  • I wore my maternity tankini top and had it folded to leave my bump exposed (they had to get at it to monitor his heart)

Finley was born into the water and it was amazing. So relaxed and calm.

I hope you are able to use the pool.

Liz and Fin (10 weeks) x
  • I just wore a vest top. As soon as lo was born the midwife just whipped it off me so baby could have skin to skin. Fingers crossed you get the pool. It is the most amazing feeling giving birth in the water and fantastic pain relief.

Cat xxx
  • I started off wearing a vest top but then stripped that off !!! Hope you get your waterbirth - it was the most amazing experiance ever !!!!

• I too was naked. Didn't plan on water birth with my first and just took nightie off and jumped in. Second time never made it to the pool which had been filled but again once it got to the crucial moment I just felt I had to be naked. I'm not an exhibitionist image but it's just some urge that comes over me. The stupid midwife kept going on about nighties this time while I was pushing - like I cared what I was wearing! I just refused to talk to her, he he. Be prepared to do strange things when you're in labour x
  • I laboured in the pool and started off wearing a bikini top but ended up in nothing. Sadly I didn't get to give birth in the pool but would love to next time. It is brilliant pain relief and really relaxing too. I hope you have a fantastic labour and birth x
  • I am planning a water birth at home and was thinking I might just have my black bra on and then whip it off when baby is born!

• Thanks for all of your replies! I sooo hope the pool will be free for me to use, fingers crossed.

So, I think I'll go armed with my tankini top then, but also expect that I'll end up with nothing on... as I really want my baby close to me when he/she is born and feed as soon as they want too. Oops, got a bit teary writing that then!

Daffodil - I wonder if we're the only Due in Junes planning a water birth? I don't think I've read re. anyone else having/planning one. I read on one of ur other posts that ur due on Fri, me too!image

Thanks again everyone for your replies!
    Anna x
  • I laboured in a pool, but unfortunately LO was B2B and needed assistance but I wore a bikini top with a matching little bikini skirt and managed to maintain a bit of modesty!

I'll definitely be wearing it again next time.

B x
  • I laboured in a pool, but unfortunately LO was B2B and needed assistance but I wore a bikini top with a matching little bikini skirt and managed to maintain a bit of modesty!

I'll definitely be wearing it again next time.

B x
  • I also laboured in the pool and wore a vest top. I had to get out every couple of hours and when I did I just put a dry vest top on which was fine . Good luck for your water birth I didn't actually give birth in the water but just labouring in it was amazing.
    Xx
  • I was going to wear a tankini top & bottoms (obviously I was planning to take the bottoms off!), but as I swam most days up to giving birth, I forgot to pack them...doh! So I just got in in my bra & knickers. They did fine but I tried to take my bra off after LO was born and the straps got caught in the cord as we waited till it stopped pulsating till we cut it - not a big deal though, quite funny in hindsight!
    Good luck xx
  • I wore a vest top. Next time I will either do same or wear nothing.

Good Luck - I loved my water birth so much.
  • im planning a water birth when baby decides to make an appearance and am just goign to wear nothing! hehe XXX

DB 40+3
  • Hi I hope you get a water birth - they are great!
    I had one 2 weeks ago. I took my maternity tankini but when it came to it I just got in naked and it felt great! I did keep saying sorry to hubby and mw about what a state I looked lol but I didn't care!! And I hate being naked in front of people!
  • Im worried now- was planning on wearing a baggy t-shirt as my mum & hubby will both be there. Would u not recommend wearing a t-shirt?

xx
  • Im worried now- was planning on wearing a baggy t-shirt as my mum & hubby will both be there. Would u not recommend wearing a t-shirt?

xx