Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Low temp...should I worry?

Well ds has been very agitated the past few days and tonight he threw up everywhere when I pit him in his bed..I'm talking through his nose, down my top, IN my top, on the Walls and all over his bedsheets...he seemed happier and I gave him a new bath and cuddled him to sleep. I've just went in to check on him and he's in a very deep sleep and has let me pick up his arms which he never does without stirring..and I've just checked his temp and it's only 33.5 and he's been under a duvet!

Should I be worried?

Replies

• Without meaning to sound rude, did you re-check it a couple of times to make sure that it was accurate? If using an ear thermometer, check both ears as there can be a discrepancy between the two. A temperature that low can also indicate infection-just as a high temperature can. Keep a close eye, no doubt you'll get him seen if you're worried. Hope he's feeling better soon xx
  • Yes, it is always thought by many doctors and even the elders that we have to first check their ears closely and then come to any decision as, the body temperature of a baby should be constant not too low and not too high otherwise, there might be a problem.

Thanks
  • hiya thanks girls for the help. He seems much better today...and I called NHS 24 and they told me to check my temp and mine came in at 34.5! so the nurse said to keep the therm under his arm for a full 5 mins and the temp rose so I think I was just being a bit silly and not checking it right! I think midwifes should show you clearly how to do that so youre in no doubt as to whether youre doing it right or not!
  • I'm glad your little man is feeling better.
    Re taking temperatures - when my LO was born, my hubby's cousin bought us a Braun digital in the ear thermometer like they use in hospitals/doctors. At the time, I thought what a strange gift - until I suspected LO was under the weather and tried the termometer, it was so easy and got a much more accurate reading than the under arm one we'd bought and used before.
    Well worth the ??30/??40 for next time maybe?
    xxx
  • Glad he's feeling better. I would second MummyJackson's suggestion of the Braun ear thermometer, we used the gift vouchers from hubby's work to get ours, and it's fab. Really quick, accurate & handy to have about xx
  • Glad he's feeling better. I would second MummyJackson's suggestion of the Braun ear thermometer, we used the gift vouchers from hubby's work to get ours, and it's fab. Really quick, accurate & handy to have about xx