Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Low temp...should I worry?

Well ds has been very agitated the past few days and tonight he threw up everywhere when I pit him in his bed..I'm talking through his nose, down my top, IN my top, on the Walls and all over his bedsheets...he seemed happier and I gave him a new bath and cuddled him to sleep. I've just went in to check on him and he's in a very deep sleep and has let me pick up his arms which he never does without stirring..and I've just checked his temp and it's only 33.5 and he's been under a duvet!

Should I be worried?

Replies

• Options
    Without meaning to sound rude, did you re-check it a couple of times to make sure that it was accurate? If using an ear thermometer, check both ears as there can be a discrepancy between the two. A temperature that low can also indicate infection-just as a high temperature can. Keep a close eye, no doubt you'll get him seen if you're worried. Hope he's feeling better soon xx
  • Options
    Yes, it is always thought by many doctors and even the elders that we have to first check their ears closely and then come to any decision as, the body temperature of a baby should be constant not too low and not too high otherwise, there might be a problem.

Thanks
  • Options
    hiya thanks girls for the help. He seems much better today...and I called NHS 24 and they told me to check my temp and mine came in at 34.5! so the nurse said to keep the therm under his arm for a full 5 mins and the temp rose so I think I was just being a bit silly and not checking it right! I think midwifes should show you clearly how to do that so youre in no doubt as to whether youre doing it right or not!
  • Options
    I'm glad your little man is feeling better.
    Re taking temperatures - when my LO was born, my hubby's cousin bought us a Braun digital in the ear thermometer like they use in hospitals/doctors. At the time, I thought what a strange gift - until I suspected LO was under the weather and tried the termometer, it was so easy and got a much more accurate reading than the under arm one we'd bought and used before.
    Well worth the ??30/??40 for next time maybe?
    xxx
  • Options
    Glad he's feeling better. I would second MummyJackson's suggestion of the Braun ear thermometer, we used the gift vouchers from hubby's work to get ours, and it's fab. Really quick, accurate & handy to have about xx
  • Options
    Glad he's feeling better. I would second MummyJackson's suggestion of the Braun ear thermometer, we used the gift vouchers from hubby's work to get ours, and it's fab. Really quick, accurate & handy to have about xx