Forum home Babies Baby

Very unhappy baby??

My boys are now 8.5 months old. They go to bed really well and always have. They have slept through a handful of times, but I dont mind that. However, for the last week or so (its difficult to remember when youre still getting up for the other one! lol) Alfie has been sleeping from 6pm - 5am, then going back off till 6am. Then, last night and tonight, about an hour after they go to bed, Alfie has woken screaming. Normally, with a little shushing, and dummy, they go back off, but he just wont. He gets himself really worked up and upset, then hot and even worse. I have given him paraceptamol when he has been inconsolable as it is so unlike either of them. He wouldnt go back off so he is now asleep downstairs in his bouncy chair.

They have no teeth, and it would seem no visual signs of teeth, but he has had an awful snotty nose, and when he screams he automatically puts his hands to his mouth. He is crying in his sleep and wont suck a dummy.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be teeth? I seem to blame everything on teeth! lol

Replies

• Hey Gemmiebaby!

This is exactly what Charlie was like before his first tooth came through, and the same a couple of wks ago when the 2nd was playing up. When his teeth are bad he gets quite snotty, I think it's something to do with the extra saliva pooling at the back of their throats when they're asleep, if that makes sense?!?

Like you, I feel everything gets blamed on teeth, but all these little niggles also coincide with when we've had tooth action, so maybe there is something in it!! However I have found when it is teeth the infant neurofen has helped more than the calpol.

Hope he feels better soon!!

Ooh, also, when Charlie's were really bad, and he had the mother of all colds, he slept back in our room in his bouncy chair which helped his snottiness!! He also won't take dummy when it's teeth beacuse I think it must hurt. I have heard of people rubbing a bit of teething gel on the dummy, but I've never done it, not so sure about it myself!!

xxxxxxx
  • Sounds exactly like teeth to me. I also blame teeth for everything, but it usually is that. Try Anbesol - you can buy it over the counter x
  • Does he have a muslin at all as a comforter? When Joseph's teeth are bothering him, (he gets snotty too) he loves to chomp away on his muslin in his cot! lol I find him with a corner stuffed in his mouth every morning so it must be soothing or something! Cheap and easy if it helps!
  • Does he have a muslin at all as a comforter? When Joseph's teeth are bothering him, (he gets snotty too) he loves to chomp away on his muslin in his cot! lol I find him with a corner stuffed in his mouth every morning so it must be soothing or something! Cheap and easy if it helps!
  • If he has a very snotty nose, could he be getting bunged up while sleeping, thus giving him head/earache which causes him to wake up in pain, hence the screaming? It could certainly be tooth related, but it could also just be a summer cold that his causing him discomfort. Peter has a perpetual runny nose and he pulls on his ears and cries occasionally which I have put down to congestion-induced earache.

No real advice other than Calpol and cuddles under the circumstances, but if it is cold-related it will pass in time. Hope he feels better soon.
  • I agree with Coco anbesol!!! Olivia has been like this but without the snotty nose tonight, it was a battle getting her to sleep but normally she is alseep by 7.30 and thats her until 9am, tonight it was 10.20pm before she was sleeping and last night she woke at 11pm and played in her cot until after 12 when she eventually fell asleep again after getting cranky
  • Thanks ladies.

Well, after finally getting him into his cot at 11pm, we were awake again at 3am and I have been downstairs with both of them since 4.30am! Alfie has a temp this morning of 37.3 so not overly high but higher than it should be. Ryan doesnt but they were both so hot as they refuse to sleep in their cots at night without their sleeping bags! I have 1 tog bags, as they just wont go off without them on!

As they dont have any teeth yet, I feel like ive been a bit of a fraud blaming things on teeth in the past! lol.

After having their bottle fairly early, theyre now both asleep again.

As for me, teaching a class today on approx 4hrs sleep is going to be bloody hard!