Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

Recipes......Feel free to add your own

Just thought it would be an idea to add some recipe ideas so we can share them all. Here are mine:

Fruity chicken curry:

My kids don't like the raisins so I leave them out

Serves 4

225g/8oz Carrots
225g/8oz Onions
1 Garlic clove
225g/8oz Eating Apples
1 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Mild curry powder
2 tbsp Turmeric
450g/1lb Diced chicken
25g/1oz Plain flour
600ml/1pint Water
55g/2oz Sultanas
1 tbsp Mango chutney

•Peel the carrots and dice them quite small.
•Peel the onions and roughly dice.
•Peel the garlic and finely chop
•Peel and core the apples, then cut into quarters and dice. Leave them in the lemon juice so they will not go brown
•Put the onions in a saucepan with the olive oil and cook over a moderate heat until soft
•Add the garlic, carrot, curry powder and turmeric and cook for a further 10mins or until the carrots are soft
•Add the chicken, stir all the ingredients together and cook for about 5 mins to seal the chicken.
•Mix the flour and water together until smooth then sieve into the mixture

--------------------

Replies

• I don't use the rice it says on here. I just use long grain rice

Chilli Con carne

Serves 4

175g/6oz Onions
    1 tbsp Olive oil
    450g/1lb Minced beef
    ½ tsp Chilli powder
    A pinch Dried oregano
    115g/4oz Tomato puree
    1 x 400g can Baked beans
    175g/6oz Patna rice

•Peel and chop the onions. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and the mince together until the meat is browned and the onion softened. Add the chilli powder and oregano and cook for 1-2mins. Just cover with water, put the lid on and cook gently for 25mins

•Add the tom puree and baked beans and cook for a further 25-30mins, removing the lid and turning the heat up for the last 5 mins

•Meanwhile cook the rice in boiling water until tender, about 15-20mins. Strain the rice in a colander, rinse with boiling watee and drain well again

•Can be served with tortilla chips
  • Chicken meatballs with tomato sauce

(I use this recipe to make beef burgers too...my kids adore them!!)

Serves 4

450g/1lb Minced chicken
    115g/4oz Cheddar cheese
    1 Egg
    115g/4oz White breadcrumbs
    2 tsp Dried mixed herbs
    2 tbsp Olive oil
    1 Onion
    1.8kg/4lb Tomatoes
    1 tbsp Olive oil
    1 tsp Dried mixed herbs

To make the tomato sauce:

•First peel and slice the onion finely and chop the tomatoes
    •Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook until soft
    •Add the tomatoes and mixed herbs, cover with a lid and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally
    •Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pan with a lid, cook gently for about 1 hour
    •At this stage sieve the tomato sauce to get rid of the skins

•Meanwhile put the chicken into a bowl
    •Grate the cheese and beat the egg
    •Add the cheese, egg, breadcrumbs and mixed herbs to the chicken and mix well
  • Deli Wraps

1-2lb chicken breast
    Olive oil
    12oz iceberg lettuce
    12oz white cabbage
    12oz carrots
    6oz cheddar cheese
    6oz mayonnaise
    1.5oz tomato ketchup
    Tortilla wraps

Preheat oven gas ½

Cut the chicken meat into fine slices and stir fry in a little oil in a heavy based pan until thoroughly cooked (If making a larger quantity bake the chicken strips in the oven gas 6 for 5-10mins)

Finely shred the lettuce and cabbage and grate the carrots and cheese. Mix together the grated vegetables and cheese. Mix together the mayo and tom ketchup to make a sauce.

Brush the tortilla wraps with a little oil and put in the low preheated oven for 2mins to warm through

Spoon a little sauce over the wraps, lay a slice or two of the chicken strips along the wrap and put a spoonful of the veg and cheese mix on the top. Wrap up and serve.
  • Sweet and Sour Chicken

Serves 6

6oz onions
    96oz carrots
    2 red pepper
    1x300g can pineapple chunks in juice
    1-2lb chicken
    1.5 floz veg oil
    15 floz water
    1.5 oz caster sugar
    1.5 floz soy sauce
    2 ¼ floz vinegar
    6oz tom puree
    1tsp mustard powder
    1.5oz corn flour

To serve: Tortilla wraps (Optional)

Peel and slice the onions and the carrots finely and seed and slice the pepper. Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice.

Fry the chicken in the oil in batches until brown, then remove from the pan. Fry the onion, carrot and pepper until softened. Return the chicken to the pan and add the pineapple juice and the water along with the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, tom puree and mustard. Simmer for approx 10mins or until the chicken is tender.

Add the pineapple pieces. Blend the cornflour with a little water and add to the mixture. Stir over the heat until the sauce thickens and the pineapple is warm.
  • Wow! you've been busy! thanks, some great ideas, think that we will try the chicken curry and the meat balls!
  • For quick receipes I add cooked pasta or rice to good quality chucky soups. Milly is eating with a fork now and loves the flavours. The twins can have it whizzed up.

I also make Risotto's for Milly, she loves them, even really spicy ones with chorizo sausage. She really likes currys too so this fruity chicken one looks good.
  • I don’t have to storm my brain thinking about what to pack for DD’s lunch because she eats from school. At the Sunnybrook School they provide healthy lunch for kids. They put up the weeks lunch menu in their website so that parents know beforehand what is being served. In case if I am not not satisfied with a lunch I pack her something. One of the healthiest snacks I make for my kids is the brown rice and bean burrito. My next door neighbour in Toronto was the one who gave me this recipe.  

cooked brown rice - 1/4 cup

shredded Cheddar - 1 tablespoon

avocado - 1/4

fresh lime juice - 1 teaspoon

1 whole wheat 8-inch tortilla

no-salt-added canned black beans - 2 tablespoons

thinly sliced or shredded carrots - 2 tablespoons

mild jarred salsa - 1 tablespoon

Mix the hot rice in the Cheddar until the cheese melts. Set it aside to cool to room temperature.

Mash the avocado and lime juice together in a small bowl till it because a paste with spreadable consistency.

Lay the tortilla out on a cutting board. Spread the mashed avocado and lime juice mix on the tortilla, leaving an outer border without any avocado. In the bottom third of the tortilla, lay out in a log shape the rice, beans, carrots and salsa. Roll over once tightly, then tuck in the sides and continue rolling. The avocado should help the burrito stay together. Cut in half. Wrap in a paper towel, followed by a layer of aluminum foil. Serve at room temperature.