Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

mastitis (also in bf chat) update

hi ladies
my baby is 2 and a half weeks old and i have been breastfeeding him since he was born, but i am showing signs of having mastitis: painful red area on breast which is painful and sensitive, aches in my bones/joints, feeling weak and unwell
im going to ring my doctor tommorrow but im a bit upset as i have a friend who got mastitis and her milk dried up and she had to stop bf!
does getting mastitis always mean your going to havr to stop breastfeeding, im scared my milk will dry up too, or is it treatable????
francesca and noah, 19days xx

*******************update*********************
went to doctors, no antibiotics where given but i managed to feed him thru it and feeding is back to normal-feeding doesnt hurt anymore and i dont feel unwell anymore yay xx

[Modified by: my1st_bumpxxx on 02 July 2010 18:06:45 ]

Replies

• heya hun, sorry to hear u r having a hard time. I too had mastitis with first son, was prescribed antibiotics but never took them as was worried would dry milk up.

Since then i have learned that u can carry on breastfeeding if u can deal with pain but there is a chance the baby can get a little ill as in theory u r feeding off milk!! I was have read u can express till u feel better then reintroduce the boob!!!

I have had to express from day 1 as jacob has weird suckle, yest i thought i was getting mastitis as had one hard and huge boob with red patches but sat in pretty warm/hot bath and massaged it for ages then felt a pop and milk flooded into the bath so hopefully it was just a blocked duct!!

Good luck at docs tomorrow and be too worried about your milk drying up, there is a reason for everything xx

Jeni and Jacob 20 days
  • Thanks hun! I really hope it will be ok as our breastfeeding was going so so well untill this happened! I am still feeding in hope that it clears but i am having to express sometimes as its so uncomfertable! Hopefully the doctor will help me tommorrow and we can carry on! X x
  • Hi good luck! Make sure they give you antibiotics today. You are doing everything right.
    I did it all wrong with my first. I had mastitsis and didn't realise and I gave up feeding cos of the pain. I wasn't treated until 5 weeks later and then it didn't work. I had to have an abcess syringed out my boob in hosiptal!
    My mate however did what you are doing and got it treated asap and kept feeding/expressing and she went on to feed for a year.
    Hope it gets sorted today.
  • Hi I can't believe after replying to this thread this morning I now think I have mastitsis! I'm going to ring docs in the morning. My right boob has felt bruised today and this evening I have noticed some red blotches that are sore & harder than rest of boob. I'm also starting to feel ill. I'm going to get it sorted this time!
    Let us know how you got on x
  • hiya - my baby is three weeks old and i have already had mastitis twice image I have had two courss of antibiotics and it didnt affect my breastmilk at all - baby ha been feeding fine. apparently the antiobitics they give you is the same as tht they give to babies. It cleared it up within a couple of days both times
  • Aw no newbiemum-thats exactly what was happening to me! Hope you get it sorted. Went to doctors today, but last night i was expressing loads and letting Noah feed by the time i got to the doctors it had calmed down loads, so she wasnt too concerned and said just to keep feeding but if i start to feel ill again go back to see her-so we are just breastfeeding as normal! Glad you were able to get yours cleared up broodybabe x x x
  • Aw no newbiemum-thats exactly what was happening to me! Hope you get it sorted. Went to doctors today, but last night i was expressing loads and letting Noah feed by the time i got to the doctors it had calmed down loads, so she wasnt too concerned and said just to keep feeding but if i start to feel ill again go back to see her-so we are just breastfeeding as normal! Glad you were able to get yours cleared up broodybabe x x x