Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Quick EBM question...

Morning girls,
my nipples are soo sore today would like
to give them a rest-so want to express today
Can someone help answer the following:

* how often do I need to express!?Poppy
feeds every 3hrs ish...so shall I do that?

* am I able to mix the expressed milk? i.e
I've got some left over from her feed this
morning...if I keep that can I add it to the
next feed? In the same bottle?or should I
dispose of it?

I've just expressed the last bit of a feed
coz I just couldn't stand the pain anymore
Shall I express the other breast now? Or
wait for a bit?

Sorry last question: this won't mess up my
milk supply will it?

Thanks xxx :\?

Replies

• Hi i dont know the answers to your questions but can i offer the advise to phone your hv/midwife (i dont know how old your baby is) and ask her to come round and see you today.
    she will help with your sore nipples. they can give you a trial packet of lanino cream (you can get it in boots its briiliant but about ??10) and also help find a way to get your LO to latch on so it wont hurt and make nipples sore.
    she will also help with any questions you have.
    Most hv/midwifes will come and see you today as they love to help you to continue breastfeeding. Mine was great and came out within a few hours and she got lizzie latched on and helped me find a better position.
    good luck xx
  • * how often do I need to express!?Poppy
    feeds every 3hrs ish...so shall I do that? Yes, every time baby feeds, you express.

* am I able to mix the expressed milk? i.e
    I've got some left over from her feed this
    morning...if I keep that can I add it to the
    next feed? In the same bottle?or should I
    dispose of it? If she has already drank some, then she can have it later, but I would put the newly expressed milk in a fresh bottle. If she feeds every 3 hours, it will be ok to give her the older milk.

I've just expressed the last bit of a feed
    coz I just couldn't stand the pain anymore
    Shall I express the other breast now? Or
    wait for a bit? I am not sure on this one, as I only ever pumped, not b fed, but I would probably leave it for now. I am sure someone else can help though.

Sorry last question: this won't mess up my
    milk supply will it? No, but do see your hv to get the soreness sorted asap!

Good luck!

• Thanks for your responses girls...
    I have been breastfeeding Poppy from birth she is now 6weeks old.. when she has her "growth spurts" she feeds alot and this is when my nipples get sore but then by a few uses of Lan cream they feel better.
    I just wanted to express for a couple of feeds to give them time to heal a bit.
    I used nipple shields in the end and then just expressed the end of my milk off.. just so i have it incase she wants some more today?