Forum home Babies Baby

Hospital wards - do they have hairdryers?!

Hi ladies...

This may seem like a really stupid question, but i'm starting to think about packing my hospital bag, and I was wondering - do the hospital wards have hairdryers? It may sound insignificant, but if im going to have a shower and wash my hair, I'd really like to be able to dry it!! Plus, I'd like to look ok for those first baby photos!!

Thanks ladies

Rucky 28 & 7

Replies

• No they dont.. and dont have anywhere to plug them in either. Plus even if there were sockets you will not be allowed as you will be on a ward with other mummies and new babies so blasting a hairdryer would be highly frowned upon lol

I thought the same god i will look awful but tbh you just do not care after giving birth what you look like! I did have a bath after having DS but i took this spray in shampoo ( my hair was straightened from the day before) and i just tied my hair back.

After what you will of gone through you will not give a monkeys what you look like i promise you! xx

[Modified by: jadeb5 on June 28, 2010 01:32 PM]

• not in my experience no, but when i was in hospital with ds some of the otehr mummies would use the hand dryers in the bathroom, seemed to do the trick, the problem with takling ur own would be if ur in the ward not everyone will appreciate u blow drying ur hair, particularly if new babies are sleeping etc, plus i struggled to find spare plug sockets to plug my phone in, so u may n,ot eve be able to plug one in. x
  • Hi hun.

I used to work on a ward in a hospital til I had my little man.
    Hospitals very rarely have hairdryers and if you take your own in it would have to be sent to be checked before you could use it unfortunatly...though I did sneakily use my straighteners when I was in having Kieran. Naughty I know! xx
  • Dry shampoo - genious idea!! Thats what I'll do....I wasn't sure if there were maybe big bathrooms etc to let you get a shower and clean yourself up etc. - like gym changing rooms etc. I know you are right though - I just won't care after going through labour!!

Thanks ladies
  • You really won't care!!! I didn't for weeks after. Still don't some days...! x
  • I used Dry Shampoo - I had to be induced so was in for 4 days in total. The minute I wash my hair it turns into a frizzy mess so I NEED to blow it dry and straighten it.......as I knew that wasn't an option I thought the dry shampoo stuff would have to do and I have to say, did a brilliant job!! xx
  • I used Dry Shampoo - I had to be induced so was in for 4 days in total. The minute I wash my hair it turns into a frizzy mess so I NEED to blow it dry and straighten it.......as I knew that wasn't an option I thought the dry shampoo stuff would have to do and I have to say, did a brilliant job!! xx
  • Hi, my hospital did, I was told most do, you just have to ask at the nurses station.

I did care the following morning and for every morning since!! Sometimes you feel so rubbish that a nice shower, wash and dry your hair makes you feel normal again even if everything else is upside down!!
  • the title of this post really made me laugh!!! i asked the same question at antenatal class!!!! image at my hospital they did, but no to my next question (do you have straighteners?)!!!! in the end i had a home birth. the thought of sharing one hair dryer with 8 other women put me off a hospital birth image
  • :lol: I was in for a week before I gave birth for PE so I was able to take my hairdryer and straighteners with me. I washed my hair and straightened it the day before I was induced and I still ended up having it tied back, I just didnt care in the end and I brought make-up with me but again didnt use that either!!
  • could you not get your hair into a french pleat? i didnt do it but will when i get preg with my 2nd,my sister did tho and she didnt have to worry about all that part and it stayd nice and neat,my hair was a mess as i had to let it dry,and its the sort to stay wet for hours then go all frizzy,felt really stupid lol