-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Just wondered if anyone can help. I'm interested in getting a babysling but am finding it a total minefield.....I thought prams and carseats were bad enough!!! There seem to be loads of different types and we're a little nervous about these after the sad deaths earlier this yr.

If you have any experience of them would you recommend them? If so, which one? Do you need different ones for different ages? Does anyone know if any are WHICH recommended?

Any help v much appreciated.

xx

[Modified by: tinybabydancer on 28 June 2010 09:06:10 ]

Replies

• I bought a freedom sling (ring sling type) and I've never felt comfortable using it, my LO always cried when I tried it out. Instead I bought a babybjorn carrier and we love it. I can easily put my 20lb baby in it and carry him around for an hour or so.
    HTH xx
  • I've got 2. A mei tei style one for when we are out with just a sling as it is comfortable for wearing for long periods and you have hands free. I also have a baba sling which I keep under the pram so when we are out and about if she wants out of the pram for a while I can just pop her in in a sitting on my hip style, the baba sling is easy enough to pop them in and out quite easily.
  • Thank you so much for the advice ladies....I just cannot believe how many there are. I will have to have a look at the ones you've recommended.

Seems like some people prefer the more structured ones and some the cloth ones....and that they are maybe both good for different reasons.

Thanks again xxx
  • I love my action baby carrier

http://www.actionbabycarriers.com/pic_gal-3rd.jpg

It can be used from birth to 45 lbs!! Front carrier or back and it's so comfy!

Happy shopping xXx
  • Hi ladies x I dont want to alarm anybody unncesssarily but I was going to buy a sling for our new baby, but a friend of mine emailed me some information on a recall and dangers that has been recently announed. I dont know if it applies to all slings, but I thought it was worth passing the info on with you:

"Earlier in March 2010, the CPSC issued a broad warning about sling-style baby carriers, saying they posed a potential suffocation risk to infants, especially babies under four months.

It did not single out a specific type of sling or manufacturer.

"In the first few months of life, babies cannot control their heads because of weak neck muscles," that warning said.

"The sling's fabric can press against an infant's nose and mouth, blocking the baby's breathing and rapidly suffocating a baby within a minute or two.

"Additionally, where a sling keeps the infant in a curled position bending the chin toward the chest, the airways can be restricted, limiting the oxygen supply. The baby will not be able to cry for help and can slowly suffocate."

I know its scary reading, but I was glad she sent it to me, hence me sharing it now x As I said before, I dont know if it just applies to specific brands, but it appears to be the "sling" types.

Sharon
  • Ladies, thanks so much for all your advice....I can see I am going to need to spend a day sitting down researching all of your recommendations!!

V much appreciated

Rainbow, yes these terrible deaths are the reason I want to do my research properly before buying a sling. It's v worrying. I'm not sure if it just applies to that specific brand of sling?? I need to re-join which to see if any have been safety testeted...unless anyone else knows?

Thanks again everyone xx
  • The deaths were with the sling type carriers. Babaslings etc are still fine to use just be aware of your babies position make sure that their head is in alignment and no cloth is obstructing air flow around the baby. Plus be aware that in this weather if you're hot your baby will be too so don't overdress them- its not good to cook a baby in a sling!
  • Hi,

Some slings are tested to BSEN 13209-2:2005, but this is an optional British Standard. Several sling companies in the UK are members fo the Consortium of Uk Sling Manufacturers and Retailers, and these are all considered to be safe, when used in accordance with their instructions.

You can find out more information here http://www.getyourhandsback.co.uk/uk-sling-companies-put-baby-safety-first/

I hope that helps. Please do not be put off using a sling because of one sling (it was only one bag type of sling that had problems). Using a sling can be so beneficial to both parent and baby.

Claire x
  • mei tai slings are safe!

www.babyhawk.com
    www.bigmamaslings.co.uk

i have been carrying hollie in my sling since she was 4 weeks old and now at 27lb and 15 months i still carry her. i also have back problems and cant feel her weight.

very safe
  • Thank you v much for the websites girls, that's so helpful. I really want to get one, just want to make sure it's safe too so that will really help to reassure.

Thanks also to Fallen for emailing the babywearer website.

xx