Forum home Babies Baby

Is it just me who needs practice with the reusables?!

Hi Ladies,

After reading many posts on here about reusable nappies, I did some research and am really enthusiastic about it. Hubby is not against the idea, but he does need convincing as he thinks it's going to be a lot of hassle. My local council offer a 2 week trial bucket with a variety of nappies and they dropped it off to me on Friday, yay!

First thing I did Friday night was wash them all (just for my own peace of mind that they're clean!). I started with a Fuzzi Bunz pocket nappy with the 1 insert, it lasted an hour before she pood (only a little one so fine) but when I picked her up to change her she had leaked wee round her legs, must of been too loose round her legs.

I next tried a Lollipop Bamboo 2 part with no booster, which lasted 3 hours before she felt wet again around her legs. This one felt a better fit around her legs but again obviously not perfect.

And I have now just put her in a BumGenius pocket with the insert plus the newborn one as a booster to see how that works for us.

LO is now 21 weeks old and 12lb 4oz when weighed on Friday. I wouldn't say she was a skinny baby, she seems perfectly in proportion to me, but I seem to be struggling with the fits of these nappies I've tried?

I'm sure as with most new things that it's all about practice, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on where I might be going wrong? I was hoping for an easy smooth introduction of them so I can convince hubby easily that they'll work for us, but at the moment I'm struggling.

Thanks for any advice
xxx

Replies

• I was exactly the same when I started! Have you checked the fit around the leg is snug? That was often our problem as the nappy would be gaping a little! I have found practice makes perfect and now we have it sorted. There are some nappies however that we just don't get oon with as they suit chubby legs and lo is skinny so it may also be they just don't suit your lo!
    Don't give up, you'll get there and you'll never look back!
  • Thanks Chubs,
    Which are your favourite nappies for your skinny LO?
    With the Fuzzibunz, I could not get a tight enough fit, even tightening the leg straps and waste straps. Although there was only so much playing around I could do with it on her before she got angsty with me!
    The 2 part felt a better fit, although it seemed to dig into her tummy when she was upright and left her with a little red mark from rubbing so I wasn't keen on that fit on her.
    2 hours since the BumGenius went on and so far she seems fine...we'll see though at the next change. And if it is the BGs we like I'll have to get buying before they run out of stock!
    xxx
  • fuzzibunz need to be adjusted around the legs to fit. i am only just liking the fb tbh and lo is 14 weeks. poppers are hard work. i always reach for my bgs, which i like best. we always use the newborn insert as a booster with the main one too as lo is a heavy wetter. i have had a few accidents with poo everywhere when i have not fastened them properly, but ive had the same with pampers when they are fastened properly! i have bought one pack of nappies since lo was born and really prefer bgs to disposables so its just a case of sizing and putting them on properly. keep with it and let us know which ones you have tried and what you thought of them. coolababy get a lot of good reviews on here, and are very cheap too.
  • just to add. hubby got up with lo this am to give me a lie in. when i asked hubby at midday when he last changed her, he said he'd forgot. she'd had a dirty nappy on, which was changed at 1am!!! i was absolutly livid. whats the point in him taking responsibility on one morning a week if he doesnt even have the sense to change a nappy, so cant be trusted. anyway, to get to the point, she had a poo nappy (again hubby got absolutly screamed at) and it was wet through but no leaks at all.
  • I use a mix of bg's, flips and close parent pop ins, all of which suit lo fine. I also have 2 lollipop 2 parters which are ok. I have a cushie tushie but it leaks, he's too skinny for it still
    Have just added some more bg to our stash whillst on offer too!
  • Oh Calleigh, I can imagine the ear bashing your hubby got! I'm lucky that my hubby is good and this weekend we shared the lay-ins one each, bliss to get an extra 2 hours sleep!
    Despite your poor LOs discomfort, that's pretty impressive that it didn't leak and reassuring to hear. I agree that the popper ones will take some getting used to and at the mo BGs are the first ones I'm impressed with - just changed her after 3 hours in it and it's fine. I think when we change her at 11pm I'll put her in a disposable till I've had more chance to play tomorrow and have more confidence in them.
    Once I've worked out in this 2 week trial which type work best for us, I'll buy 1 or 2 of different brands to find my favourites.
    I thought I'd seen a YouTube clip showing clever poppering that will make the wastes smaller but I can't find it now. Would be handy for a couple of the wraps I've been given that are too big even on smallest popper setting.
    I'm sure we'll get there after some more playing tomorrow.
    xxx
  • If you look up The Nappy Lady on You tube she has demo videos for most kinds of nappies.
  • i have fuzzi binz in petite but i just cant seem to figurs them out either. my LO is a heavy wetter and have been using 2 microfibre inserts and a bamboo booster and yet she still leaks! i cant get it any tighter around her legs without it diggin into her tummy! i've ordered some bamboo inserts to see if that helps.

how can you get the legs tighter on fuzzis? also my LO has taken to screaming when it comes to fasining it up.

just set this up on facebook incase anyone is interested
    http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=107828965936444
  • Sarah-jb, I did a lot of my research using the Nappy Lady's clips so it must've been there I saw it but I couldn't find the clip that showed the clever poppering (Have I made up the word poppering?!).
    Sleepybeccie, the fuzzis can be tightened at both ends of the legs (front and back), as well as across the waste band inside the pocket. Strip of elastic with numbers and holes for the button to go into. But I still couldn't get a good fit.
    xxx
  • poppering. like it.
  • Sarah-jb, I did a lot of my research using the Nappy Lady's clips so it must've been there I saw it but I couldn't find the clip that showed the clever poppering (Have I made up the word poppering?!).
    Sleepybeccie, the fuzzis can be tightened at both ends of the legs (front and back), as well as across the waste band inside the pocket. Strip of elastic with numbers and holes for the button to go into. But I still couldn't get a good fit.
    xxx

are you using the one size or prefect fit fuzzi's cause mine dont have all that x
  • Ooh I don't know. I would assume the one size as a lot of them in this sample bucket a birth to potty
    xxx
  • ah, i have the perfect fit ones. my council doesnt do anything like that x
  • I think it's a great thing the council offering this. I initially thought I'd prefer to be in one of the regions where the council gives incentives to help with the initial outlay. But infact this trial is very useful.
    Right, bed is calling. Another exciting day of nappy testing ahead of me tomorrow!
    xxx
  • Sleepybeccie, Ive requested to join your fb group image

I had a few problems with leaking around the leg, I was told that if the poppers are done too tight then this can also make them leak at the leg. I loosened it by 1 popper and not had anymore leaks?? I dont understand it, not sure if it worked or was just a coincidence and then became more absorbant after a few more washes.

Hope you find one you like mummyjackson, I think thats a great scheme your council offer. My council dont offer anything! image
  • Thanks Steph, that is interesting. I'll give it another go when that one's out of the wash.
    I was a wimp this morning and put her in disposables as we were going out to baby massage. Now we're back home she's in another 2 part. She has a long nap most afternoons so I'll see what she's like when I get her up. I'm still determined to make it work image
    xxx
  • I use Bum Genius and love them I use both inserts but may drop back down to just one as they are getting a bit bulky now.

• does anyone use tots bots with a wrap?
  • Yup, we've got a couple of tots bots bamboozle stretchies, we use them at night as they are super absorbant, and we add a bamboo booster too so they last all night. I only use them at night as they take a long time to dry and we don't have a tumble dryer.
  • Yup, we've got a couple of tots bots bamboozle stretchies, we use them at night as they are super absorbant, and we add a bamboo booster too so they last all night. I only use them at night as they take a long time to dry and we don't have a tumble dryer.

wheres the cheapest place to buy them from?