Forum home Babies Baby

Oopsie, I've scared myself re:BLW! :roll:

Well we're not officially weaning yet. but the other day James had a suck on a strawberry and enjoyed it.

So today I had an apple, and thought I would give him a bit. He was sucking away quite merrily, until a piece came off! About a centimetre long. He gagged, then it was moving about in his mouth. He started to get upset, so naughty mummy fished it out. Which I know you're not supposed to do, and he got even more upset!

He's only 10 day away from being 6 months. but BLW isn't supposed to start until then. So not to self, cooked apple or ones that are a little harder in future!!

I don't know if he could have swallowed that piece, as he doesn't get chewing or anything yet. But wasn't prepared to find out! xx

Replies

• oh hun, ((((big hugs)))) you must have had a shock!

I've read on here before that babies gag reflex is very far forward so it's unlikely that he would have swallowed it.

Glass of wine tonight i reckon!!

• I've written about the gag reflex being forward on here myself! Which is why I feel a bit daft! He was still moving it around his mouth, so I had a little panic! xx
  • psml at that mith!!!!...love us nurses...practise what you preach eh? not if you're a nurse image
  • Yep, I've written how you should just let them get on with it, as per BLW. But when it's your own.....bye bye, gone out the window! :lol: xx
  • aww bless u weaning is hard and although i havnt done blw apple is defo something i wouldnt give my lo ,a girl i know from here whos little boy is the same age as sophia just recently had a horrendous time after he accidently swallowed a big peice that he had bitten off and choked on it!! choking is my biggest fear with my lo's im terrible ,when ds started nursery all those years ago they had a list of things he wasnt allowed to eat incase he choked and they werent watching :lol: xxx
  • ive read apple is for later too. not that you were giving it to him! clever baby just taking a chunk on his own! i am worried about these issues too! i am such a paranoid mama
  • oh bless you don't let it put you off it is very scary but ive heard that about the gag too, us mummys just love to worry too much don't we!!

xx
  • Yeah he was only supposed to be having a suck on it! :lol:

I'm sure we'll be fine. I'm doing BLW and purees so he'll get used to it. xx
  • Hey, just reading your posts, and I've not done BLW, so not sure if this would help as I know with BLW they are properly eating, but we have this meshy thing for DS that you can put harder fruits in such as apple so they can suck on it and get teeny tiny bits out without the risk of choking imagehttp://www.nuby.com/en/Nuby/solid-feeding/5360
  • Hey, just reading your posts, and I've not done BLW, so not sure if this would help as I know with BLW they are properly eating, but we have this meshy thing for DS that you can put harder fruits in such as apple so they can suck on it and get teeny tiny bits out without the risk of choking imagehttp://www.nuby.com/en/Nuby/solid-feeding/5360
  • Hi RJ84, I have heard of those. But hadn't thought about one. Sonething to consider. Thanks. xx
  • I just posted something very similar over in BIJ, Sasha had some melon yesterday and had a big gag on it, I was just holding my breath and forcing myself not to intervene. She did manage to spit it out on her own but my nerves were a bit frayed, hope it doesn't happen too often.
  • I've seen your thread. But as I couldn't stop myself intervening, didn't post. :roll: Well done though. xx