Forum home Babies Baby

Do I need to sterilise calpol spoon?

2»

Replies

• Personally I wouldn't bother. I sterilise bottles, teats, sometimes dummies, but have never bothered with spoons or weaning equipment. A good wash tends to be good enough I think.
  • Just wanted to say my sil stopped sterilising bottles and dummies when her lo was 6 months old and she gets every cold and stomach bug going and I do think this is part of it and she was bf for the first four months so she had that protection.
    My lo is 8.5 months and I still sterilse her bottles and dummies, her weaning equipment is washed in hot, soapy water but she has had one cold and never gets sick.

As long as the spoon is washed, I usually rinse the calpol spoons/neurofen syringe in hot soapy water and then poor boiling water over it.
  • I actually think that a gradual exposure to germs and general unsanitaryness is good for building up a healthy immune system. My DD is nearly 4, and although I sterilised nothing at all from 7 months on, she is never ill. She has had one stomach bug in her life, one that felled her entire day nursery, and I swear it's because I let her eat mud and worms.
  • I've always wondered about over sterilising - I mean you don't have to sterilise your boob before each bf do you.
  • Mrs S - Totally agree. I used to babysit for a 4yr old and eating mud and worms was part of her everyday life since very small. She was never ill!! Hubby has practically banned Detol from our house as he doesnt agree with 'killing 99.9 % of germs'! (except at work of course!)
  • I think you mainly need to sterilize milk bottles and dummies up to when they are 6 months old, as the milk deposits in bottles and on dummies can grow germs which can cause tummy upsets. After 6 months the baby has been in touch with the outside world so much that they will be able to cope with said germs and bacteria a lot better.

I never sterilized calpol spoon or even infacol syringe thingie ... just was in hot water. I dont even OWN a sterilizer. If something needed to be sterilized I did the old boil in hot water for 5 mins .. no huge equipment in my house :P

I pretty much stopped boiling his dummies at around 4 months as he was eating everything he got his hands on!

Same as gemmiebaby' s husband I think that nowadays people are overcleaning/sterilizing/killing bacteria and so on ... the children who live in the country with animals, pollen, germs etc have way less allergies and illnesses than city kids with sterile environment!
  • I think you mainly need to sterilize milk bottles and dummies up to when they are 6 months old, as the milk deposits in bottles and on dummies can grow germs which can cause tummy upsets. After 6 months the baby has been in touch with the outside world so much that they will be able to cope with said germs and bacteria a lot better.

I never sterilized calpol spoon or even infacol syringe thingie ... just was in hot water. I dont even OWN a sterilizer. If something needed to be sterilized I did the old boil in hot water for 5 mins .. no huge equipment in my house :P

I pretty much stopped boiling his dummies at around 4 months as he was eating everything he got his hands on!

Same as gemmiebaby' s husband I think that nowadays people are overcleaning/sterilizing/killing bacteria and so on ... the children who live in the country with animals, pollen, germs etc have way less allergies and illnesses than city kids with sterile environment!
  • Lol - this has become a very amusing thread! Glad my LO isn't the only one to lick carpets, pets, shoes, everything in sight! Cam is 6 months and I only sterilise his bottles (and i've not done this once or twice!). All weaning equipment etc is just washed with antibacterial fairy and then used straight from the draining board. I'm also a firm believer that you need to give babies immune systems a chance to build up. I think Cam's is doing well too, he's not been poorly once since he arrived!

Anyhow, in answer to your question it will do no harm if you do sterilise it (maybe try put it in a bowl with a touch of water, covered and put in the microwave for 30 seconds) but I wouldn't worry about it too muchimage

xxx
  • I actually think that a gradual exposure to germs and general unsanitaryness is good for building up a healthy immune system. My DD is nearly 4, and although I sterilised nothing at all from 7 months on, she is never ill. She has had one stomach bug in her life, one that felled her entire day nursery, and I swear it's because I let her eat mud and worms.

I agree. I only ever sterilised milk equipment with dd (now 21 months) and new items once like beakers etc.. i think some exposure to germs is necessary. My dd has been brought up with 2 dogs so you can imagine she is forever touching them and they lick her (not that i encourage it but it cant be helped sometimes there friendly dogs lol) and she has never had tummy bugs or things like that xx
  • I agree too. And like MrsNoName I've only ever sterilised milk equipment, and then only til about 8 months after which time I just swished boiling water round it until she was about a year old.

I would lick the spoon first but that's about it.
  • Oh Mrs Setters - you do make me laugh!!! I also agree with you about the exposure to germs building an immune system
    My boy is 3, I stopped steralising at 8months, and I don't worry about him mucking about in the garden or playing with the cats, and no he's NEVER ill (touch wood!)

.........However he has recently started taking an interest in what he calls "the black button" on the cat's backside!! I did yell "NOOOOO" when I caught him trying to sick his finger in it the other day!!! Poor cat!! He's 15years old bless him and nearly had a toddler's fat finger up his hole!!!
  • HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • OMG claire a belle.... I nearly died laughing when I read that. Talk about things you never expect when you become a parent!!!!
  • thats nothing!! They become little comedians when they reach toddler-hood!!
    Shea is 33 months and has been potty trained and dry during the day for a few weeks now but he came into the kitchen from the back garden at the weekend and said "mum, i'm a dog, woof woof" I said "are you darling why are you a dog?" He said.........wait for it....................................

"Cause i've pood on the grass"....."that makes me a dog"!!!!!!!!!!!

He'd taken his shorts and pants down, crouched down and took a dump right in the middle of my lawn!!!

I've heard of fertilising but honestly!!!! I had to try and explain that isn't acceptable to poo on the grass without cracking a smile!!!!

• .........However he has recently started taking an interest in what he calls "the black button" on the cat's backside!! I did yell "NOOOOO" when I caught him trying to sick his finger in it the other day!!! Poor cat!! He's 15years old bless him and nearly had a toddler's fat finger up his hole!!!

When my old cat Spot was alive, he'd have been about 15 too, I found a stray white male rabbit one evening on the way home. We took him in and let him hop round the lounge. I nipped off to the loo and as I walked out, Spot wandered in.

Halfway through my wee, DH burst in looking frantic and said "you have to come, it's the cat and the rabbit!!!". Surely old Spot hasn't attacked it, said I. "No, you don't understand - the rabbit is butt-raping him! Quick!!"

Poor, poor Spot. We did rescue him but from then till he died he was petrified of rabbits. We also found the bunny's owners. I politely suggested neutering.
  • I'm totally g/c, just seen this on the homepage but am in stitches at that MrsSetters!! Soooooooo funny!! Claireabelle my DS tried that with our cat when he was about Shea's age. Don't think the cat ever recovered, he left home shortly afterwards image(( !
  • hahahahahahahahahhaa PMSL at the poo on the lawn - I did NOT see that one coming!!!!!!! xx
  • I'm with mrsS, life is too short and a few germs do the babies good to build up their immune system.

I've never bothered sterilising calpol spoon and past 6m I haven't sterilised spoons bowls etc. I'm Bf so no bottles to bother with.

Apparently if you use a dishwasher it goes hot enough to sterilise bits anyway, so they all go in there!

DS2 is 9m now and into everything, he'll have stones in his mouth outside, eat sand at the beach, grass in the garden. Need I go on, I can't sterilise any of those!

xxx
  • Thanks for all your replies! Some of your stories have really made me laugh! x
  • LMAO Mrs S and claire a belle, aw mystomach is sore.

i agree with the others too mrs, reece rolls over and licks whatever he is lying on, blanket, his bed my bed and im not about to sterilise all of those lol,

when my ds1 was 3 he made a bird feeder in nursery, unfortunatley the birds never got to it as he ate it!!!!!! mmmmmmmmm