Forum home Babies Baby

What did you wear once you had Bubs?

Hi ladies,

I'm 30 weeks today and thinking about my wardrobe after Bubs arrival. I'm already finding going to the shops pretty tiring, so need to stock up now!

What did you wear for the first couple of months once you had Bubs? At the moment, I'm thinking that I will just want comfort - jogging bottoms and a vest top? But, at some stage, I will prob want to dress a bit nicer to make myself feel better - will my maternity leggings and maternity tops still do the job?

I'm aware that my tummy is probably still going to be pretty flabby (!) so won't be squeezing back into my pre-pregnancy clothes for a wee while yet!!

So ladies...what clothes did you live in after giving birth? What should I be making sure I have in my wardrobe?

Thanks girls

Rucky 30 & 1

Replies

• Leggings! Although I have to say, LO is 11 weeks now and I am dying to get back into more fitted clothes but my post c-section tummy is simply not allowing it! I don't wear maternity clothes (I thought that was a slippery slope!) but just bought a couple of pairs of larger size leggings from Next and a couple of nice, comfy tops. Heaven knows what I'll wear if I ever get invited out anywhere nice again!!!! x
  • hareem pants if you want to be abit more trendy but yes leggings, jogging pants ,my pjs were a regular haha!!! (not out of the house mind!!)

• I have to agree defo leggings! So cheap at Primark too :lol: I even almost gave birth in my leggings lol.. hubby and midwife had to whip them off sharpish (things happened fast lol) xx
  • I wore my maternity jeans for a bit but then bought a couple of pairs of normal jeans in a size bigger than I usually wear as I was so fed up with elasticated waistbands!

You might want to think about tops too if you're planning to breastfeed. Things that are front fastening or that you can hoik up easily are good. I bought quite a few vests with the nursing clips from H&M which I either wear on their own or under other tops.
  • I wore yoga pants and t-shirts. I also wore crop tops under my t-shirts, my boobs were huge and i just felt too restricted in my bra! The crop tops were so comfy, i even wear them at night now for bfing.

Lx
  • Ha ha I remember asking the exact same question! I wore my maternity jeans for a few weeks (I have chunky thighs so leggings are not a good look for me at all!) and then bought a few cheap pairs in a bigger size to tide me over until I fit into my old ones. I also wore baggy tops (and still do) and as I bf, I just wear a vest top underneath so when I need to feed I pull that down and pull the proper top up so you cant see anything.
    When no-one is visiting and we're loafing around the house I often just wear joggers and t-shirt/vest top etc.
  • i know what you mean about it being tiring but if i were you i would just buy a couple of pairs of leggings and vest tops to start with. I did go back into my normal jeans very quickly and i am glad i didnt waste money on stuff i would never have got any wear out of.
    So i wore my nghty for first 4 days,lol then my normal clothes x
  • Pj bottoms and breast feeding tops image asda do a White nursing vest for ??5 (internet only)

my maternity jeans and trousers are starting to get too big but comfy!! Haven't even thought about trying old clothes (too depressing as put on some extra padding when pregnant)

nic and alex 3+1
  • I honestly just stuck with my maternity clothes for a while for comfort. Lo is 19 weeks now and I am just starting to wear 'normal' clothes again! Baggy tops are definitely a must for the first few weeks unless you are lucky enough to spring back to your old shape!

I actually find I care less now about my saggy belly than I did before I had a baby (was a little out of shape). I don't bother sucking it in as much. Probably 'cus I can say 'Well, I have had a baby recently you know!'
  • I only had my baby a week ago and already I'm sick of jogging bottoms, so don't stock up on too many of those - although they were essential for the first few days. When I had ds two years ago I was very sore down below and think I wore joggers for a couple of weeks, but this time I'm not sore so am back in jeans - albeit maternity ones!

I keep forgetting about leggings, might have to dig those out of the wardrobe, although I don't find long tops great for breastfeeding. Maybe get a few cheap T-shirts on a size bigger than you normally would, especially if you're planning on breastfeeding - I don't think I'd get my boobs into any of my old tops at the moment!
  • I'd definitely go for leggings, jogging bottoms or some larger sized bottoms, rather than maternity. I thought I'd be weaning maternity trousers for a while but they were literally falling off me within a few days. Unfortunately I was in hospital still and couldn't think of anything else for my OH to bring in, as I wouldn't have fit into my normal clothes and only had 1 pair of leggings, that I'd lived in for 3 days after the birth! It was lovely to get home and discover that my joggers fit (very stretchy) and I loved wearing some near-normal clothes, rather that being drowned out in maternity jeans. HTH xx
  • Leggings and my old fat jeans with my bump band for the first couple of weeks. I found tops hardest when I was bfing, not only for access but for squeezing those bowling balls into x
  • I can still get into some of my old clothes but not many, I even wore my maternity shorts again. I am a stone heavier, have started buying a bigger size on the bottom half.

• i didnt need maternity clothes til i was past 32 weeks and ended up lighter after havingmy baby than i was pre pregnancy lol so my mat jeans etc were too big even the next day after i gave birth (i wore the same pair homw that i wore in and they kept falling down)

i have been living in leggins despite them being something i would never normally wear byt they are so comfortabe i didnt care how big my bum looks lol (my lo is 3 weeks on thursday)

Lx
  • my maternity clothes, i also had yo buy biger shoes after as i swelled x
  • I was a real slob and wore Tesco/Asda trackie bottoms with Primark TShirts for months! I wore my maternity clothes if I went out and then at about 3 months caved in and bought some bigger size jeans. Now I am back in normal tops but still can't fit my pre baby trousers 10 months on. That's my own fault for being mega lazy though! x
  • Well i must admit i got up and showered and dressed everymorning and put nice ish clothes on, made me feel much better. I bought a couple of pairs of up one size jeans and wore them with maternity clothes, i was lucky in that after giving birth i think i was as thin if not thinner than before being pregnant!! I just put on weight afterwards, grazing rather than eating meals! oops
    Sx
  • Well i must admit i got up and showered and dressed everymorning and put nice ish clothes on, made me feel much better. I bought a couple of pairs of up one size jeans and wore them with maternity clothes, i was lucky in that after giving birth i think i was as thin if not thinner than before being pregnant!! I just put on weight afterwards, grazing rather than eating meals! oops
    Sx
  • Definitely something loose or soft such as leggings or jogging bottoms in case you are sore down below. Also nothing too expensive in case the extra thick maternity mads don't hold up - sorry!!

But don't rush out and buy too much now as you don't know how much weight you'll lose afterwards. I was back in my pre-pregnancy jeans within about 4 days but everyone is different - you may find a lot of the weight is water which goes really quickly after you've given birth

xx
  • yoga pants, so not tight like leggings, and breastfeeding tops. rememberb youll be wearing huge mat pads for a couple of days so neds to be loose and long top to cover. i was wearing prepreg jeans after 2 weeks.