Forum home Babies Baby

Anyone refused induction

Also in Due in July

So I'm only one day over due (by scan- EDD by LMP is actually tomorrow but mw let me pick lol) and whilst not totally panicking am obviously aware how these things can pan out. Where I live the mw's are only in on tuesdays so next tuesday (if I make it) I'm booked in for a sweep and at that appointment they'll be me in one week later (14 days over) for an induction- now firstly I'm surprised they wouldnt attempt another sweep first?? but that's something I'll ask if I get there- secondly I'd rather avoid induction if possible as long as baby is happy at least for a few days as I totally dont fancy being strapped down through labour (was hoping for a waterbirth) and I'd need to go to a completely different hospital too :\? . Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this

michelle
40+1
xxxxxxx

Replies

• Hey mich,

I was induced with both my girls. This time I'm determined to experience the whole 'going into labour' experience without anyone interfering. I'm also planning a home birth. There is 10 years between my youngest and my new bean but I have always felt like I missed out and wasn't in control of my two previous births the way I wanted to be. For the last ten years, I've been thinking if I ever met someone else and married (which I have) and if I'm ever preg again (which I now am) I would have the birth I wanted (as much as possible). I will be refusing any potential induction, unless baby has problems! Have a look at some of these late birth stories (link below) don't let people scare you and good luck!! xxx

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/overdue.htm

Click on: Birth Stories about long pregnancies
  • Fairythalia thanks so much for that link!! its fab!!

Wanna-bump, my pregnancy so far has been text book, i am completely healthy, my bp is fantastic for a non preg person and even at 40+1 I'm still really active, I've had no heartburn no swelling no concerns throughout, I've been really lucky ! my mw said about induction because "that's what they do" not because my health requires it- I do understand the placenta deteriorates but it does this slowly and WHO says a full term pregnancy is 37-42 weeks so to me an induction at 42 weeks wouldnt necessarily be overdue iyswim- I was under the impression that both you and baby had to be constantly monitored during induction which would mean being stuck on a bed (perhaps I'm wrong) I do totally understand I may have to deviate from my ideal birthplan but I also have been told by my mw's that one intervention can lead to another which concerns me - baby is in a good position so unless they were distressed I'd like to let them come on their own

• I was induced and actually really enjoyed my labour, even though I gad wanted a water birth. You only need to be on constant monitoring if you have to have the drip, it could be that pessary etc are enough to start your labour without the cannula and then you'll be able to proceed with your plan as normal. Personally I was paranoid through pregnancy and the risks of stillbirth dramatically increase after 42 weeks so I could not have coped going longer than I did. Having said that my sister was born 7 weeks late!!!!!
  • Hey there, I wouldn't worry too much about the induction, and I do agree with wanna-baby, in the end it's best just to get them out. I really wanted to labour in the birthing pool and potentially have baby in water too if it was going well, but in the end my waters broke, no contractions, so after 24hrs had to be induced as baby was not coming on his own accord! But I was totally mobile until they put the drip in. I had 2 lots of pessary to 'ripen' cervix and despite having to go on the monitor at intervals, I was able to walk around.

In the end all that matters is getting the baby out healthy, and once you are there with your baby, what happened during labour suddenly becomes totally irrelevent. Good luck with what you decide and I hope your baby decide to make an appearance soon! xx
  • Wanna-Bump thanks for the info but I think you're words are quite scary and contrary to a lot of the reading I've done- my mw has suggested a sweep at 41 weeks- not an induction- my little brother was born at 42+4 (forces hospital couldnt get an induction before then) and was healthy and well has never had any problems was a great bf etc- if I'm honest its probably just hormones but you've worried me and annoyed me that you could be so insenstive - i'm not expecting sugar coating but you're post in pretty negative, i dont have the option of induction at 41 weeks and you've pretty much said induction laer than tha will result in an em-Csec??
  • Hi Mich, I too went 17 over with my little boy and although I had to have an induction in the end (the little bugger was far too comfy!) he was perfect once he was here. Also my consultant was fab and very supportive of leaving me as long as possible to see if things went aunatural, but alas the monkey wasn't for shifting so I opted for induction. It was'nt too bad really apart from the whole bed ridden rule!! I did end up with an emeg section but this was totally unrelated to being so far over due and my boy was a titsy 7Ibs 10......at 17 days over I was expecting a good 10Ibs baby lol.
    My advise is go with the flow and try not to set ur heart on specifics.....as for the water birth my hospital's policy is no water births for anyone who is over due by any amount! The sod's neglected to tell me this until I was 14 days over lol.
    Lots of luck xx
  • em7- so basically no waterbirths after 40 weeks? I've not been told that and will be annoyed if that is the case (will ask mw) I dont think we're allowed to make enough decisions ourselves!! Baby is currelty head down low LOA so perfectly positioned so fingers crossed they tip up soon!! x
  • I was induced for PE and I had no problems, I had the drip attached and I was still able to move from the rocking chair to the bed if I wanted to, it was nice and quick and over with within 2 hours.

I don't think wanna-bump was trying to be insensitive, I think that she was just trying to give you the facts and the realities which I am sure your mw will advice you if you refuse induction.

Good Luck whatever you decide and hope you go naturally soon xxx
  • Ok... I don't think Wanna-bump was meaning to scare anyone but I do think her views one sided. I worked in SCBU during my nurse training and have seen babies post 42 weeks as well as tiny prem babies and babies who have reacted badly to induced labour. I have also seen babies born post 43 weeks who are perfect and I personally have two healthy induced babies myself. You can find good and bad examples of everything, so it works all ways...

Vaginal prostaglandin is the most commonly recommended method to induce labour. There is a very small risk that using or vaginal prostaglandins, or Syntocinon may cause your uterus to become overstimulated or hyperstimulated. Hyperstimulation of the uterus seriously reduces the oxygen supply to your baby. Drugs can be used to stop or slow down the contractions if this happens. In a worst-case scenario, hyperstimulation can cause your uterus to rupture (tear).

Syntocinon can cause strong contractions and put your baby under stress, so you will need to be monitored continuously . Some women also say that the contractions brought on by Syntocinon are more painful than natural ones, so you may be more likely to choose an epidural for pain relief. There is also a very small risk that using Syntocinon may cause your uterus to become overstimulated or hyperstimulated as above. There is also some evidence to say that you are more likely to need instruments such as forceps or ventouse to help deliver your baby, following an induction.

Ok, these are extreme example but so are the cases wanna-bump is referring to. Please don't worry and the most important thing is that you feel well informed and make the decision yourselves. I think the problems start to arise when partners start to disagree with each other. So, discuss your plans now with you OH and don't allow anyone to scare you off either path.

I know it sound cynical but health professionals do sometimes have ulterior motives. They may be scared of dealing with a 42+ week baby in case something goes wrong and they are held accountable. They may not have experience of post term babies and be out of their comfort zone. They may be short staffed and want you to come into hospital. There are all kids of reasons, so don't be afraid to question!

All the best xxxx
  • I was induced with my son at 41+4, and to be honest I was so ready by then for him to be born that there's no way I would've considered refusing it. I did get a bit emotional when my consultant booked the induction, as I felt I should've been able to go into labour myself - and her words were: we've come this far, you really don't want to be taking risks now - and of course I didn't. I do have a condition that can affect my placenta (but it didn't), so the risks of placenta deterioration might have been slightly higher for me than for you, but the risk is still there for everyone. I found the induction/labour a positive experience, and it only lasted three hours - yes I was constantly monitored, but it didn't mean being strapped to the bed. Inductions can lead to an increased chance of intervention, but if your body is ready for labour it might just need a gentle push to help it along (like mine did) - if it really isn't ready, then I don't think waiting a few more days after 41 weeks is going to increase your chance of going into labour naturally.

I had my second baby last week at 5 days over - I was convinced if I went overdue again I;d go fully overdue and end up being induced, but I didn't! At 40+1, induction is still a long way off for you, there's plenty of time to go into labour yourself - although of course it doesn't hurt to think about what's happening. I think your midwife should've explained things a bit better - maybe you could ring their office and get someone to talk you through what induction involves and why.
  • Myself, I would always do as I was told by a medical professional. My understanding is that ladies are induced at term +10-14 for a reason - statistically it's safer.

Wanna-Bump was only sharing the benefit of her experience. I think it's a little unfair that because she didn't tell you what you wanted to hear you threw that experience back in her face.

I hope you go naturally so that none of this will matter and you can have a chance at the birth you want :\) Good luck.
  • Luke was born at 40+2 and I was abale to get in my birthing pool without any problems unfortuntely for me I had to go to hospital in the end for a c-sec.
  • Myself, I would always do as I was told by a medical professional. My understanding is that ladies are induced at term +10-14 for a reason - statistically it's safer.

Wanna-Bump was only sharing the benefit of her experience. I think it's a little unfair that because she didn't tell you what you wanted to hear you threw that experience back in her face.

I hope you go naturally so that none of this will matter and you can have a chance at the birth you want :\) Good luck.

I wasnt throwing the experiance back in her face I just said she'd scared me and I was annoyed because I thought her post was very negative- which to be fair it was as it only focused on the downside, if this is her only experiance fine but to basically be told if I refuse I'm causing my baby harm is the extreme case- (I'm guessing working in special care extreme cases would be the norm)- just to add if I was being advised based on my specific circumstances then I would ultimately follow advice but because it is the bog standard norm across the board I'd prefer to be given more options and at least a few days extra to try and allow baby to come naturally or to try another sweep before being pumped full of chemicals.
  • I hate speaking out against the majority on here but sometimes I feel duty bound to do so. I certainly have no ulterior motive and have never come across a nurse or midwife who does. In my line of work health comes first!

Fairythalia, can I ask you more about this statement
    They may not have experience of post term babies and be out of their comfort zone

Wanna-bump I was not talking about YOU having an ulterior motive at all??? I even stated that I did not think you were meaning to scare anyone but I found your views one sided. I am also a health professional and find it imperative that patients are given balanced information in order to make informed decisions. I totally understand that your personal opinions are strongly influenced by your professional experiences; however I feel -duty bound' to present an impartial argument based on FACTS and then support the patient to form their own conclusions and make their own decision. Even if I personally disagreed, I would never influence patient choice.

To say the following;

If that had been my baby and I had opted not to have an induction so that I could have my optimal birth experience then I would feel awful.

Is totally wrong and unprofessional!! What if that parent had chosen induction and the Syntocinon caused her uterus to become overstimulated and seriously reduced the oxygen supply to her baby?? Same guilt placed on the parent, different flip of the coin.

As for the reference to ulterior motive; I was talking about a variety of scenarios. I have sat on a night shift in a delivery ward where the doc comes along and says -Its quiet tonight and I'm so bored, does no one want a section' or -Try and talk one of the ladies into an epidural, I want to demonstrate one to my student'. I have also witnessed conversations between MW's who have said - -Talk her out of the home birth - I don't want to be on call next week' or -Push for a hospital birth - we're just too short staffed to release another MW to community' etc. etc. You can peer through rose tinted glasses if you want but it does go on!!

And yes for the majority of health professionals, health comes first, but when you're on skeleton staff, they can't always give the level of care they would like to, that is just a sad fact of the NHS and life.

Finally the statement: They may not have experience of post term babies and be out of their comfort zone. Refers to your -named midwife' and yes she can turn around to her line manager and say, I don't feel comfortable with this, I'm out of my depth, I don't have enough experience etc. But if a bond has been formed between the Mum and her MW, the MW might try and talk the Mum out her first choice in order to continue the care. Equally the Mum may choose continuing care with the same MW over the perfect birth plan.

SO many scenarios and none a personal dig at you wanna-bump. My only motive was to provide Mich with a balanced view without fear :\)

[Modified by: Fairythalia on July 07, 2010 11:10 PM]

• Mich, both of mine have been early C sections for medical reasons, but my friend had her little boy at 43+something, at home, after refusing induction. He was absolutely fine, the midwife didn't even touch her until his head was out - textbook birth and baby.

There's a user her called Sim as well, who refused induction and had a great home birth post 42 weeks.
  • Mrs S- I actually read her birth story but will go looking again- will play it by ear I think but wont be pushed into it because its "what they do" obviously would never put my baby deliberatly at risk !!
  • My friend refused an induction as she was very keen for things to happen naturally and had her baby post 43 weeks so it does happen.
    I had my ds at 8 days over my due date and attempted a water birth so you can have a water birth after 40 weeks (note my contractions slowed so I had to get out in the end but the water really helped and I didn't need any other pain relief but gas and air). I am afraid I have seen a few posts from Wanna Bump that are less than helpful, but just give misleading advice under a 'health professional' guise. Very worrying.
    Good luck and I hope you get the birth you want x
  • The link I posted is a reflection of my personal opinions and when I first responded to this thread I never mentioned that I was a health professional at all. I was just responding as a Mum and ordinary forum member. :\)

You however mentioned that you were a health professional and that is where it went wrong as you were no longer giving personal opinions, you were giving a professional opinion which I felt wasn't professional at all, due to your one sidedness, and this is why I responded.

I really didn't mean to upset you :\( and have nothing against you personally at all, but I was against what you were saying and that you were saying it under the guise of 'health professional'. When you use the words -I'm a health professional' you have a responsibility to be factual and objective. You were not and I felt that I should then put my professional hat on and step in, because intentionally or not your post was really scary and sounded like medical opinion rather than personal advice!!

Out of interest what is your professional role and which University did your train? Treating patients holistically, evidence based information and informed decisions / consent, are some of the basic principles you learn in your first year of training. They are drummed into you!

As for the YAYW website: I was a member and it did get bitchy at times, mainly because it had major problems with trolls and people winding each other up for entertainment. I just avoided the main forums and stuck to the big day buddies forums.
    If you are implying that I am somehow being bitchy?? I assure you I am not, that's just not me at all. My response wasn't out of Bitchiness at all; it was out of a moral and professional duty to correct unfair and scary information.

You are not being singled out as being an unhelpful trouble maker??? (your words) I have presented a fair and intelligent argument, so please do not take this a personal dig, it isn't. Just stop and think before you use the words -I'm a health professional' Truce! :\)

Mich: Really sorry for your thread becoming hijacked! xxx
  • Morning all, g/c from baby - I can only imagine refusing induction/going over the 42wk mark is very rare these days and while some people know others that have gone safely onto delivery healthy babies I feel that Wanna-bump was only giving us an insight into the grim reality of why the guidelines and induction practices are in place. Human nature is to be positive and nobody wants to be the bearer of bad news, hence the number of replies that have said things along the lines of oh yeah do whatever you feel is best.

I too am a healthcare professional and feel that my experiences provide unique insight into certain scenarios - yes our experiences can be one sided, depending on where you work/practise.

In this situation a little knowledge can be very dangerous.

This said Michmummy, you should be guided by your MW and weigh up the pros and cons and then make an informed decision, hope everything goes really well for you, whatever you end up doing...look forward to seeing you in baby!!!!

Liz xxx