Forum home Babies Baby

FAO Teachers - when do I have to hand my notice in?

I am basically lazy / disorganised and thought I'd ask you guys instead of trying to dig out the policy (which I merrily filed under 'things I no longer care about' when I started maternity leave in Jan)!

I went on maternity leave 29th Jan and verbally told them I intended to be off a year. As it happens, I won't be going back as we are moving to the opposite end of the country. The move should be taking place in Sept and I will hand my notice in when the move is imminent (or has happened - just to make sure!). Just want to check they don't need notice before that....? Is it a term's notice or anything like that?

K x

Replies

• Half a term in our county. Im not sure if its any different anywhere else. September should be fine hun xx
  • i think sept is plenty. its 8 weeks notice of when you want to go back, not sure if thats different if you dont want to go back. i wish i didnt need to go back...
  • hi sorry to g/c but im going to be in a similar position. My baby is due in Jan and we are thinking of moving home to ireland (in england at the mo) in march or april. Do you know if i could still take ml and work notice alongside it or woud i have to hand in my notice and not get any ml. The policies arent very clear seems one rule for everyone except teachers!!
  • lucky you kayecee!! are you going to look for a job in edi or be a stay at home mommy?? i went in yesterday & met my new form (currently y6).....boooooo! xxx
  • hi sorry to g/c but im going to be in a similar position. My baby is due in Jan and we are thinking of moving home to ireland (in england at the mo) in march or april. Do you know if i could still take ml and work notice alongside it or woud i have to hand in my notice and not get any ml. The policies arent very clear seems one rule for everyone except teachers!!

I guess you could take ML and then hand your notice in but would be required to pay back anything you got on top of SMP. I think that's what would happen anyway! x
  • lucky you kayecee!! are you going to look for a job in edi or be a stay at home mommy?? i went in yesterday & met my new form (currently y6).....boooooo! xxx

I am going to be a SAHM Ruth! image My DH is only tied in for a year so we may come back to Essex at the end of it. We'll see. You can't be going back already, surely?!

I am going to be a SAHM Ruth! image My DH is only tied in for a year so we may come back to Essex at the end of it. We'll see. You can't be going back already, surely?!

x

Wowser, that's so wonderful! I'm not back till March but was in as am moving rooms & wanted to rescue stuff & they were in for an intro visit so thought I'd show face! xxx

you can ask for you mat leave to be paid at just the smp rate, and the additional held until you return, so you'll receive it as a lump sum. then, if you dont go ack they just keep it. this is what is written in my maternity booklet from HR. you'll still get smp even if you are planning to leave.