Forum home Babies Baby

pimples on baby's face

hi ladies,

my 3 week old son has developed a lot of small red pimples on his face over the last couple of days, especially on his cheeks. the health visitor said it could just be the heat or hormones from me, but didn't really know.

just wondering if any of your lo's have had this and if anything cleared it up or if anybody has any idea of what it could be? (i'm making sure i clean his face with cotton wool and water if he gets it dirty or gets milk round his mouth).

thanks
XXX

Replies

• My lo got these around same time. Just a mixture of hormones & oil glands still devloping. Her's cleared up after about 4 weeks. My hv told us to put a small layer of sudacrem on lo's cheeks & chin before a feed as it'll make a waterproof barrier so they won't get worse. Also just washing his face with cotton wool & water twice a day will help.

Jayne xx
  • Hi,, my little boy got this at 5 weeks and I took him to the doctors, he said it was a virus and just to leave it alone. My HV then saw him and said it was just baby acne and that docs will say a rash is a virus if they dont know what it is!

It was all over his face and just under his hairline and cleared up within 2 weeks, I didnt use any baby shampoo or lotions, just water and cotton wool.

Hope this helps x
  • perfectly normal, think they call them 'milk spots', nothing to worry about unless they become very red and inflamed, u can try a little sunflower or olive oil just to help stop it drying out but otehr than that its prefectly fine xx
  • if its a heat rash, dont put sudocreme on it - i did and it made it worse. i rang NHS direct and they said that creams lock the heat against their face and to just use cotton wool and water. Izzy's cleared up within days x
  • My son had the same and the hv said it was baby acne and that it would clear up itself which it did. i just used cotton wool and water morning and night to top and tail him and they did go but i know how awful it is while they are there! My hv said try rubbing your milk (i was breastfeeding - dont use formula!) into his skin as it may help as its a sort of cureall. it certainly didn't hurt! Dont worry - time will make them disappear x
  • My son had the same and the hv said it was baby acne and that it would clear up itself which it did. i just used cotton wool and water morning and night to top and tail him and they did go but i know how awful it is while they are there! My hv said try rubbing your milk (i was breastfeeding - dont use formula!) into his skin as it may help as its a sort of cureall. it certainly didn't hurt! Dont worry - time will make them disappear x