Forum home Babies Baby

Easy fish recipes for weaning

Neither husband or I eat any fish we both hate thee stuff so i have no idea how to cook it or where to begin, does anyone have any simple tried and tested recipes i can make for my 6 month old, not sure what would be easiest like fish pie or just simply steaming it and whizzing with vegetables?!?!

thanks x

Replies

• hey hun

me and oh love fish so we tend to just mash it up when we are cooking it for ourselves but here is a good one from my annabel karmel baby book:

200g cod fillet, skinned
    15g unsalted butter
    1/2 lemon
    110g fresh spinach, washed

put the fish in a microwaveable dish, dot with the butter and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Cover, leaving an air vent and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
    Cook the spinach in a saucepan with a little bit of water or steam for just a couple of minutes, then drain and squeeze out any excess liquid.

Annabel makes her own cheese sauce with this recipe but i used the baby cheese sauce from the heinz 'cook at home range'

then you just flake the fish, mix in with the sauce an dchop the spinach and mix in - you can puree it to a smoother consistency if you want.

We tend to just steam fish or sometimes we bake it in the oven with olive oil, herbs and garlic in the dish too - usually gas 5 for 20 minutes, then you can just take out the fish and puree with some veg image our lo loves it with peas and potato image

good luck
    xxx
  • My LO loves fish pie.
    I cook the fish, say haddock, for about 10 mins in a pan with whole milk. I add a tiny pinch of pepper now too. I then let it cool then flake it checking for bones.
    I then cook peas, broccolli and potatoes.
    I mash them all now as LO is older but before I used to whizz the fish and peas and broccolli in the processor (adding the leftover milk from the cooking) and then mash the potatoes and stir through.
    Freezes well too.
  • another good way (and seems to reduce smell...) is to put a piece of fish with some lemon juice and/or milk with some veg (brocolli/small chunks of pots etc) in tin foil and wrap it up so no gaps for steam or juice to escape and put it in oven for about 20mins, i then pour cooked contents into a bowl and mash it (you could whizz it)
    Its so quick and doesnt stink house out like the microwave seems to!
    x
  • oops forgot to add thatt microwaving stinks! hence the 'we tend to steam it or bake it in the oven' lol image

xxx
  • These ideas are great! I am going to bookmark the thread for when Adam reaches the fish stage (I have never eaten or cooked fish in my life so need all the help I can get! I am particularly loving the 'wrap it all in tinfoil' idea! )

xx
  • I do a Salmon and brocli pasta.

1 salmon fillet
    brocli
    pasta stars (or what ever pasta you want!)
    milk
    butter
    flour
    cheese

I cook the salmon on the hob in the milk with a bay leaf, parsley and black pepper corns for 6ish mins. Cook the brocli until tender. Take salmon out of milk and strain (save the milk!)

Make a cheese sauce with butter, flour, saved milk and cheese. flake and mix salmon with sauce, add brocli and pasta.

You can wizz the sauce to what ever consistency you want and mix with what ever size pasta you want.

We have this as a family meal. I hate fish too, but as it's well mixed into this meal I like it!!

xxx
  • just to add, other easy ways to give fish is to use tinned tuna with jacket potato or pasta, or fish paste in a sandwich, or my dd1 used to like tinned sardines in tomato sauce spread on toast. You can also just get the breaded fillets and bake them in the oven, cut it into chunks and give it as finger food.
  • my LO loves fish. Here are the dishes I make for him:
    tinned tuna & cheese with jacket potato
    tinned salmon with pasta and tomato sauce steamed salmon fillet with brocolli & parsley sauce
    fish pie
    fish fingers....

Here is my recipe for fish pie:
    put a couple of chunks of cod & haddock in the bottom of around 6 ramekins (can then be frozen separately)
    make a cheese sauce by melting some butter in a pan then adding plain flour (it will look like marzipan). Then add milk slowly until you get a thick creamy sauce. Add grated cheese, frozen peas and some parsley.
    pour sauce over fish
    spread mashed potato on top + sprinkle grated cheese over the mash.
    oven bake for about 30 mins.
    HTH
  • Not really a recipe as such, but my LO loves tinned sardines (skinless, boneless in oil) mashed together with philadelphia. I have tried to give it to her on toast, breadsticks and crackers but she just picks it off and leaves the toast etc bit. So now we just spoon it into her. Aside from yoghurt, it's the only thing she'll take off a spoon.... and she just can't get enough of it.
    Beware though, the nappies stink afterwards!!
  • Hello everyone! I know a lot of fish recipe, but my favorite is grilled salm