Forum home Babies Baby

Tax credits help? Pleeease

Hi girls,

in sorting out my tax credit forms...I've never claimed before. I know some of you have said before that you sent a covering letter with yours saying something along the lines of please take into consideration the fact your on mat leave.

Would you be able to tell me what kind of things to say? And any example letters would be unbeleivably appreciated...I'm poo at wording things image

Thanks girlies xxx

Replies

• aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh be ate my reply pig!!!

Annnnnnyy hooooww

hey PB!

What you should do is work out what your salary will be THIS year and give it to the tax credits that means you'll get the correct amount while on mat leave and when the review is up next april just give them your normal salary - I assume that you get the same wage every month normally??

If you want you can email me the details and I'll work it out for you I have done this for a good few of my friends and also did it myself when Reece was born, they like the most up to date figures so you are ensuring that what they give you is accurate.

• dont forget the first ??100 of mat pay each week isnt counted for TC's purposes.

• ...icecreamlover, what does that mean?
    Xx
  • PB if this turns out to be the case (which I'm not that sure about?? I think people get confused about your tax free amount each year and the way the tax is deducted, but I could be totally worng as its 6 years since I last had maternity pay.

However if this is the case just multiply the number of weeks off with mat pay by 100 and deduct this from your total but I doubt this would be the case as your tax code would change and mine hasn't basically every one would be getting up to an extra 2600 tax free on top of your normal tax free amount??? I would check it out first xx
  • Sorry to hijack...am I wrong thinking it is actually calculated on last tears earnings as until the end of the tax year you don't know properly what you'll earn in the coming year...you could lose your job, get a payrise, get a promotion etc then you could be owed more or worse owe them money back...
  • I spoke to a really helpful guy when I was sending my form off, he said to fill it all out as normal with last years then when you get the letter back confirming what you've been awarded to then call and explain the change of circ ie mat leave and crap pay. He said sometimes it actually works out better for you this way too. Just waiting for my letter x
  • I spoke to a really helpful guy when I was sending my form off, he said to fill it all out as normal with last years then when you get the letter back confirming what you've been awarded to then call and explain the change of circ ie mat leave and crap pay. He said sometimes it actually works out better for you this way too. Just waiting for my letter x
  • However if this is the case just multiply the number of weeks off with mat pay by 100 and deduct this from your total but I doubt this would be the case as your tax code would change and mine hasn't basically every one would be getting up to an extra 2600 tax free on top of your normal tax free amount??? I would check it out first xx

It is not tax free amount. You will still pay tax on it when you get SMP. It is an amount you take off your income before you declare it to the tax credits office. By lowering the amount that you declare to the tax credit office you get a bit more in tax credits. (only counts for when you are on mat leave, but don't forget you can also take 100 a week off for the two weeks your oh had paternity leave)
  • Oh I get you now as a rough guide to how much less you will have earned when off when you deduct the ??100 a week, I just worked it out exactly for this year and sent it off as using my last years income would be wrong as it will be too high and hten you'll get a letter stating we paid you too much, already happened with ds1 lol not gonna happen again!