Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

FYI Coeliac Disease

Hi Ladies,
Have introduced myself in another thread, but here's a few details. I'm 28 have a beautiful girl 13 months, but unfortunately had an early miscarriage at 5.5 weeks beginning of July. We're trying again straight away, so this is month 1 for us again, have fingers and toes crossed!

The reason I'm writing is I have Coeliac Disease, which means that I have to follow a strict gluten free diet, but apart from that I'm healthy. Anyway, I'll come to the point! I remembered when I was first diagnosed (2005) that I was told that one of the symptoms is recurrent miscarriage, and just thought I'd mention it here incase anyone might think they have it. Other symptoms are upset tummy, diarrhea (sp?), tiredness, sudden weightloss, and a host of others. Need to point out that not all symptoms may be present, mine were weightloss, tiredness and headaches. Diagnosis can be as simple as a blood test.

Hope you don't mind me posting this, but thought it might be useful to some of you.

Sticky babydust to allimage

Replies

• hey, that is very random as i've got an app next week with a GP to discuss the possibility of this as i've had mild ibs (supposedly) for a while now but have other symptoms that are linked with this. Do you know much about it? xx
  • Hi Rocky,

Hope you're well. There are a range of tummy related symptoms related to coeliac disease, that can be easily mistaken for IBS. Diagnosis by GPs can be hard as symptoms can be mistaken for other things. I'm not an expert, but a great website for info. is coeliac uk website www.coeliac.org.uk .

Good luck with everything,

Sioned
  • Sorry to g/c but I have coeliac disease as well. I had a mmc back in feb this year. Luckily we concieved again right away and I am now almost 18 weeks. After my mmc I looked a lot into the link between coeliacs and miscarriage, and it seems as though once you are following a gluten free diet, the risk of mc drops a lot.
    I agree, if you think you may have coeliacs get tested before trying a gluten free diet as the blood test won't be accurate if there isn't gluten in your system.
  • thanks so much! i'm going to my GP on tues to ask for a test and speak about the symptoms. it'll put my mind at rest loads, do you mind me asking what your symptoms are? Thanks xx
  • Hi Rocky, just got hold of some of the symptoms from coeliac uk charity.

Possible symptoms may include:
    ??????? diarrhea, excessive wind, and/or constipation
    ??????? persistent or unexplained gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting
    ??????? recurrent stomach pain, cramping or bloating
    ??????? any combination of iron, vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency
    ??????? tiredness and/or headaches
    ??????? weight loss (but not in all cases)
    ??????? mouth ulcers
    ??????? hair loss (alopecia)
    ??????? skin rash (dermatitis herpetiformis (DH))
    ??????? tooth enamel problems
    ??????? osteoporosis
    ??????? depression
    ??????? infertility
    ??????? repeated miscarriages
    ??????? joint and/or bone pain
    ??????? neurological (nerve) problems such as ataxia (poor muscle co-ordination) and neuropathy (numbness and tingling in the hands and feet).

Very long list! But from personal experience I only had a few of these. Hope this helps,

Sioned
  • Hi Sioned, I just wanted to wish you good luck with the TTC, we both suffered our MCs at the same time and now trying again. Scary isnt it? Fingers crossed for us, Tracy xxx
  • Hi Tracy, I know very scary. I'm only 4DPO and I'm ss already, and trying really hard not to get my hopes up. Good luck with all the TTC, Sioned x