Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

When do they stop putting things in thier mouths?

After a very scary morning of LO literally not breathing as he was choking on.....fluff!!! I was wondering if you ladies could shed some light on when they stop putting EVERYTHING in thier mouths.....

I have removed live beetles, stones, dog biscuits, a ??10 note etc etc

He is 10 months......

Just wondering how long before your LO stopped?

Thanks

Replies

• eeek!!!

Erm gosh that's a tough one... i actually cant remember :lol: DD is 22 months now and doesn't put anything in her mouth but its been ages since she has like months and months and months but i cant remember exactly sorry lol xx
  • eeek!!!

Erm gosh that's a tough one... i actually cant remember :lol: DD is 22 months now and doesn't put anything in her mouth but its been ages since she has like months and months and months but i cant remember exactly sorry lol xx
  • yeah i'd say between a year and 18months. my ds has never really been too bad at this so its hard to remember.

My friends lo is 13months and is still putting things in her mouth

• My lo nearly 22 months still occassionaly puts things in his mouth. (he has always been bad for this)

But now, he is aware that it's maybe somthing he shouldn't and if I catch him he happliy passes it onto me. As if he's being such a good boy in offering me back my Mac lipgloss !
  • Isla does and she's 29 months old mostly things like rocks :roll: and a few other things but it always seems to be the same things so not nearly as much as she did a year ago. Her little friend is 6 weeks older and a couple of months ago swallowed a coin, not good...

[Modified by: canuckmom on July 27, 2010 06:10 PM]

• Peter still does at almost 17 months but has reached the stage where, if I ask him not to, he will stop and give me whatever it is. That being said, there are certain things (like my house keys) that go straight in and get chomped on, often a sign that a tooth is on the way. :roll:
  • It's usually about 18 months maybe younger when they stop exploring things with their mouth.

DS stopped about 16 months when he started walking? Something like that.

However children still put things in their mouth occasionally until they are 3 years old that's why small things or toys w small parts have 'not suitable for under 36 months' on...But that's just a guide really.

DS is 26 months and he's had age 3+ toys (like little postman pat figures) for a while and never been a problem. He's been playing with money since he was nearly 2 and doesnt put it in his mouth.

He did occasionally do it until age 2 but it was only to make me laugh LOL!
  • Hmm I don't know the answer but Joseph is 14 months and still puts pebbles, leaves, crayons, fluff, basically everything in his mouth given half a chance! lol Hope he grows out of it soon! image
  • My lo is almost 18 months and still putting stones in her mouth.
  • my Lo is 14 months and ate some cat litter today - eurgh!
  • My lo has always been bad for putting things in his mouth - everything used to get chewed and sucked on and I was constantly washing things. I used to have to take his own toys round to friends' houses as he would otherwise have chewed on their toys! All of his toys had dribble and teeth marks on.

I think he was about 21 months or so when he stopped, or maybe a month or so younger. It was only then that I was happy for him to play with things like felt tip pens, playdough and that kind of thing.

Though he still does put playdough in his mouth occasionally and pretends that it is a lollipop! When I tell him not to, he tells me that he is only pretending to put it in his mouth which is a complete fib as his tongue is the same colour as the playdough!
  • Isaac is 18 months and still occasionally puts things in his mouth. Mainly if it is a totally new object and still loves to put crayons and pens in his mouth! He definitely started to do it a lot less after 12 months. Oh yes and he still has a thing for keys!! Think they must help with the teething, he sticks things in his mouth more then.