Forum home Babies Baby

Question for mums who had premature baby...

Hi ladies,

poppy was born at 36+2 she is now nearly
8weeks old and still isn't focusing or following
objects.

She is technically 4weeks from her due date.

We went to hospital today and they have refered
her for her eyes!

I'm really worried that she may have eye sight
or brain problems...
Has anyone elses babys taken longer to focus?
Respond???

I'm sooo worried image

Replies

• Hi hun,

Amelia is 15 weeks old (3weeks corrected) She is still not smiling or babbling despite my HV telling me she should have reached these milestones already...! She doesn't always focus at things like toys we put near her preferring to stare into space! x
  • Thankyou for the reply... It's made me feel much
    better! Again it's the HV that is putting things
    in my head... When they asked about fixing and
    focusing - I said no not yet and she was like "oh,oh
    well u need to mention this to the docs" and this is
    what got me totally paranoid something was wrong!
    Thanks for the reasurrance that ur lo is in the same
    boat! Xx hope ur enjoying being a mummy xxx
  • There is too much emphasis on our babies catching up on their prematurity really quickly... A friend of mine told me to always remember in the back of your mind your LO's corrected age (from due date) and not to worry, every baby is different, some take a little longer to reach milestones anyways. Another friend of mine who had a baby a year ago (not prem) was worried her LO wouldn't roll over and the dr's questioned if he was mentally delayed and said they wanted to do all kinds of scans and tests over the next few months if he still showed no signs of rolling at 4months which really worried her. 3 months later he started pushing himself up and trying to crawl, now he's walking about fine..! x

[Modified by: HodgeysDorris on July 14, 2010 10:50 AM]

• glad i found this thread as was gonna post summit similar my lo isnt tecnically prem as she was 37+1 but she does seem to be slower than my other2 at reaching milestones also i was curious how much awake time your lo are having in a day?
  • hi i've gc from ttc after bereavment .
    i had my little girl at 36 +1 so she is 7 weeks today but my health visitor said they look at her like she is a 2 week old and they would only expect her to do things that a 2 week old baby woulds be doing , so i wouldnt worry too much hun , evryday we think ella is going to smile , but do u know what she'll smile in her own time and they all develop diferently some health vicitors are a pain and m,ake u worry for nothing x i'm sure yr baby is doing just fine x
  • hi i've gc from ttc after bereavment .
    i had my little girl at 36 +1 so she is 7 weeks today but my health visitor said they look at her like she is a 2 week old and they would only expect her to do things that a 2 week old baby woulds be doing , so i wouldnt worry too much hun , evryday we think ella is going to smile , but do u know what she'll smile in her own time and they all develop diferently some health vicitors are a pain and m,ake u worry for nothing x i'm sure yr baby is doing just fine x
  • We are having our little one's eye test repeated on Monday as they are unsure about her retina development. I'll keep you posted when I know more, xx
  • Must admit that I'm finding it hard to remember back that far now, but I'm sure my little girl wasn't really focusing at 4 weeks corrected age - I've looked back at photos and she looks all vacant and stary at that point. Can't remember exactly when she did start to focus, but she was always measured against her corrected age, and I thought they always are until they reach approx 2 years with premmies? (that's what my special care officer and consultants have always said). We were signed off at 16 months from all checks as Skye had caught up more or less by that point, great relief for us!