Forum home Babies Baby

BLW- hints and tips please?

Hi ladies,

my little boy is 17 weeks old now and not showing any signs of needing to be weaned early so I think im going to be able to hold out til 6 months

I think I'd like to do blw and have done some research this morning but gave a couple of questions for you...
What do you do with meat (chicken etc as it's harder to chew)?

What do you do if taking baby to a restaraunt? As it's so messy you can't exactly strip them down when you'r out?

Thought you coould also share all your advice etc for all the other mummies thinking of going down the blw route xx

Replies

• Hi
    well with meat, say chicken, I'll make some chicken sausages or pattie type things so it's mixed in with veg. I've found my DD doesn't like it as just a piece of chicken if that makes sense?
    If I'm not doing chicken then any red meat I tend to use mince as it's easier for them, and make meatballs (so again you can add lots of veg), or a Spag Bol.

With regards the mess now I will say this is the hardest thing I've had to deal with BLW, but that's my own issues hahahaha!!!
    When we go out I take a long sleeved bib and she wears that, they seem to be quite long so cover the tops of her legs too. Then any bits that she's thrown on the floor I just clear away with napkins. Easy really and actually easier than feeding purees as it means you actually get to eat yours :lol:
    There's quite a few of us on here that do BLW and, I've found, to be a great help & support so, when you get to that stage, give us a shout if you need any help xx
  • With meat, I tended to let him suck on strips and tried not to worry too much about how much he was actually ingesting. I was more interested in him learning about different tastes to start with, and it is actually pretty impressive how much they can soften meat with their gums. Mince is also brilliant. He adores spag bol and the like, and I also do things like courgette stuffed with minced chicken that he enjoys taking apart and consuming.

Eating out, I just tend to be careful about where we go and what I get for him to eat. At various times he has had garlic bread and penne pasta, sandwiches, pizza and grilled chicken with beans and purple sprouting broccoli. The last was the most successful meal as it didn't leave any stains on him and was easy to hold, although I did pick up rather a lot from the floor afterwards. If a restaurant is child-friendly in general, they usually don't mind the mess all that much, as long as it doesn't cause a hazard.

Good luck and have fun. It is hugely rewarding watching them learn to handle food themselves.
  • With meat we tend to do as the others have said and do mince or strips of meat, we have more fish than meat though and that is alot softer for her to chew on, you have to check thoroughly for bones though.

For going out we take one of these placemats
    http://www.thebabycatalogue.com/Tiny-Diner-Hippo-Travel-Placemat/productinfo/BW2251/

I also take a little flannel and ask for a little bowl of water and clean up with that.

We went out at the weekend and had a roast dinner so she just had plenty of veg and a few strips of my meat and a small potato.
  • I started BLW just this week so don't have much experience to share except that it is great fun letting them learn this way! Albeit messy.
    My big tip is be prepared to explain yourself to pretty much anyone and everyone. Some people are interested and as excited as I am by this method of weaning...others not so and will think you're basically mental - these people generally know nothing about it and aren't prepared to enter into conversation or debate because they're so fixed on the old way is the only way. To those people I will explain a little and then basically ignore their criticism and get on with it myself.
    Basically enjoy it, they don't actually eat much at the start but they'll get there.
    I have friends who weaned their babies because they were hungry and milk was no longer satisfying, for us I'm weaning because she's hit 6 months, her milk is still enough so I know I'm not starving her by doing it this way.
    Have fun :0)
    xxx
  • I started BLW just this week so don't have much experience to share except that it is great fun letting them learn this way! Albeit messy.
    My big tip is be prepared to explain yourself to pretty much anyone and everyone. Some people are interested and as excited as I am by this method of weaning...others not so and will think you're basically mental - these people generally know nothing about it and aren't prepared to enter into conversation or debate because they're so fixed on the old way is the only way. To those people I will explain a little and then basically ignore their criticism and get on with it myself.
    Basically enjoy it, they don't actually eat much at the start but they'll get there.
    I have friends who weaned their babies because they were hungry and milk was no longer satisfying, for us I'm weaning because she's hit 6 months, her milk is still enough so I know I'm not starving her by doing it this way.
    Have fun and relax with it
    xxx

[Modified by: MummyJackson on July 29, 2010 02:56 PM]

• I haven't read all the replies so sorry if this is repetative but i'm so so tired.

I LOVE BLW! Dylan has progressed so so well with it, he's not fussy loves his food and meal times and is a joy to watch eat.

With meat, he tends to pull things apart with his hands and play with the food a bit so I give strips of chicken slightly smaller than mummies and daddies bits but not much so that he can pick it up easily. He also gums it apart (he cut his first tooth 2 days ago and its not a length to be of any use yet and we've been weaning nearly 3 months this way)

Eating out, I take my own bowl/plate, wipes, a spoon (for him to play with mainly) and a cover up bib. At the start you could always take a change of clothes. I have never had any issues in restaurants with them having an issue with mess, I just tend to pick the bits off the floor when he's done.

We went to our local surestart today and the coordinator/HV was commenting on how brilliant his eating was, it took a while but he managed all his finger foods today with no mess on his clothes (I forgot a bib bad mummy and he's still in the same clothes!)

If you want any advice at all feel free to email me, im no expert but its something I have really enjoyed doing and will help in anyway I can

xxxx
  • my mum used to have me chew on a chop bone when i was in my high chir. i am not saying to do that though!!! yesterday she laughed saying it was becasue she couldnt afford one each for us all.