Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My BS

Adverts!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Hi! Just thought I'd let you know how I got on now that I've had my baby. I had an elective due to an emergency section with my first for fetal distress and failed induction. Hopefully it will make any of you going in for a section feel a little better image

On Wednesday morning I arrived at hospital at 7.45 and booked in at the reception (it's like booking in at a hotel, the mat unit is lovely) and they asked us to wait for the mw to come get us. We only waited 10 mins but it felt like an eternity- I was so nervous!! The mw came to take us thru to the theatre recovery where there were a row of beds, basically a queue of woman to go into theatre which was strange. I was first. They got my obs done and I put the gown and lovely ted stockings haha! I felt a bit lost at this point coz I felt like I didn't know what was happening. The mw, anaesthetic nurse and doc and the consultant all came to talk to me. It was the same anaesthetist as last time which reassured me.

It came for the time for me to go thru and I panicked and asked for the loo- nearly made a joke about there being no windows for me to jump out of! Haha! I walked round to theatre and had to leave dave waiting outside while they got me organised. I started shaking when I got in. I knew I had to get the spinal which was really scary. I was scared it wouldn't work or he would find it hard to get in or I wouldn't sit still enough!!! All my fears were put aside when he put the spinal in and lay me down. They spray you with stuff to make sure you cant feel anything before they start (just as well lol) and put the screen up. At this point they get Dave in and really from now on in you have no idea what they are doing! Just as well I say. You heard them suctioning (my waters away) and I felt tugging and pulling but no pain. Wasn't long before she was out and she cried right away! I was so relieved. It was the anesthetist that said she was a girl. I swear Dave nearly fell off his chair! He was in complete shock. I thought someone was kidding me on and I didnt see her naked for the first few hours either! I started crying especially when dave brought her over. I was glad she had hair haha! How silly but after Lucas it would have been strange to have a bald baby.

Its quite strange to think those first photos of us with Kara were while I was still being sewn up. Try not to think about it lol! I did lose a bit of blood as there was an artery that wouldn't stop bleeding but other than that it went well. They cut out my old scar to make a new one so you might say I got a mini tummy tuck! lol! I was then moved to recovery where I stayed for a few hours. My canula tissued (thats when it comes out from the vein) and my hand started to swell with all the fluids being pumped in under my skin. They had to put another one in after that (I really hate drips) and that one stayed in better. I really don't remember much about recovery other than that, too many drugs. I did try and breastfeed there but the mw assistant kept telling me she wasn't on right even tho I knew she was. Never mind! After a few hours I was taken up to the ward, a very happy mummy. Overall it was a much better experience than last time. I am recovering so much quicker and I'm a lot more mobile already. It's strange to think that electives make it easier to recover coz its the same procedure- must be the power of the mind!

I'm totally in love with my little girl. Couldn't ask for anything more. With one of each I won't be doing this again as my family is complete. Lucas loves his little sister and is very protective. I am so proud of how he has reacted. Makes me appreciate him even more.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs227.snc4/38703_411422211009_658386009_5204036_5527972_n.jpg

Minutes old, while I am still being put back together!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs191.snc4/37881_411422506009_658386009_5204056_6368014_n.jpg

Proud big brother!

[Modified by: Lemon Cupcake on 02 August 2010 07:27:41 ]

Replies

• So pleased it went so well Nicola. You must be so proud of your beautiful family.

I think the reason why electives are easier to recover from is due to the fact that your body has not laboured. When your uterus has been contracting and you are worn out from hours of labour and then you get a section, its going to take longer to recover from. (i think thats why anyway)

enjoy your family.....

d xxx
  • glad that all went well, kara is lovely, and glad that lucas has taken to being a big bro well. xxx
  • Fab BS, she is beautiful and Lucas looks sooooooo grown up holding her. I totally agree that you recover quicker from an elective cs. I noticed a huge difference after having Evie by elective rather than Joe's emergency one.
    Big congratulations to you all.
    Xx
  • Oh wow! Congratulations!! Such lovely news. She's absolutely gorgeous. She looks so lovely and brand new! I think she looks loads like Lucas.

You look fab too and positively beaming.

Hope you're getting plenty of rest in these early days.

(P.S. One month to go for me! I'm really excited about the birth but very nervous about what lies beyond after the sleeplessness and colic last time. Fingers crossed that second babies are so much easier! Finish work next week - can't wait!)