Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Umbilical hernia

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of their LO having an umbilical hernia?

My little boy is 9 months and since he was about 5 months his belly button turned to an 'outy'. I really didn't think much about it as he really didn't bother him but as he has got older he has started tugging it.

The Dr has diagnosed him as having a hernia and has referred him to Alder Hey children's hospital for assessment to whether it needs operating on. It gets worse if he cries for a few minutes so I feel as though I can't nip for a wee as he gets upset and in the night I have to go running straight into him instead of leaving him for a few minutes to try and settle himself.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Jo x

Replies

• Options
    I have no personal experience of umbilical hernias. But in most cases they sort themselves out. They are cautious as they don't want it to be too big, or get strangulated, where the blood supply is compromised. An operation is very routine and has a high success rate. HTH. xx

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/umbilicalhernia/Pages/Whatisitpage.aspx
  • Options
    I had one when I was born and they bound them back then...placed a 5p piece on it and then wrapped it tightly with a bandage and within weeks it was gone! Don't think it's recommended now mind!

I wouldn't worry hon, it is a routine op if needed, and he won't remember a thing about it.

Hxx