Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Possible Bad News :cry:

Hi Ladies

As most of you know we fell pregnant again after having a missed miscarriage in March.

Yesterday I should have been 7 weeks, and we had an early scan at the EPU (managed to get my doc to refer us for a reassurance scan, even tho he was a bit reluctant).

However, after scanning externally and then internally, it only showed a gestational sac and a yolk sac. No fetal pole, let alone a heartbeat!! We are devastated as, once again, we are sure of our dates, Last time we payed for a private scan when we were 9 weeks, but again pregnany was showing about 5 weeks!! We had to wait then to be re-scanned, only to have some development 10 days after, but then nothing after that and was classed as a missed miscarriage.

The nurses and midwifes were lovely and we are being called back next Thurs to see if the pregnany is viable or not. I just don't know what to think. I am so sure of my dates. Even if I was a week out, making me 6 weeks, surely they would have seen the beginnings of a fetal pole?

Whilst she was scanning internally, she asked me to clench my fists and put them under my bum to help her see clearly (perhaps I have a tilted uterus, tho they didn't say that?).

I can't help but feel like history is repeating itself, life is so cruel, how can this be happening again to us??????? We do everything right, eat healthily, don't smoke/drink, we take folic acid and still there seems to be a problem.

The midwife has basically said its a 50/50 chance.

Has anyone had any experience of this??? Sorry for the long post.

Zxx

Replies

• I wrote you a long reply and be ate it arghh. Anyway ((hugs)) I know this must be absolute torture for you hun. Firstly please try and not worry easier said than done I know. If you are less than 6 weeks the baby will be so small about a grain of rice so the ultrasound can't pick it up. It's going to be a tough week but there is a sac and yolk sac there so something is happening. We are all here for you if you need us this week. I was the opposite to you and was 2 weeks further on so to begin with the midwife was preparing me for a scan similar to you where it's inconclusive for a week. Chin up Hun and I'm praying for you. X
  • oh hun, my heart sank seeing this thread image
    I am sorry you are in limbo and am keeping my fingers crossed it is a dating thing and like h2ta says that we are all here for you and hopefully when you go back next week all will be clearer.

Here is some info I found that is reassuring...

The fetal pole is a thickening on the margin of the yolk sac of a fetus during pregnancy. It is usually identified at 6.5 weeks with abdominal ultrasound imaging, and 6 weeks with vaginal ultrasound imaging. However it is quite normal for the fetal pole to not be visible until about 8 weeks. The fetal pole may be seen at 2-4 mm crown-rump length (CRL), and heart motion is often detected when it is seen. In the embryo, the heartbeat is seen as a regular flutter, which should be first evident at 5 mm CRL. If the embryo is less than 5 mm CRL, it is possible for it to be healthy without showing a heartbeat, though a follow up study in 5-7 days will almost always demonstrate the heartbeat.

Seems like it could just be a bit too early to detect the fetal pole.
    Sending you (((hugs)))
    xxx

• sounds hopeful what mrsH found for you - I really hope it is just too early. it's awful feeling like everything is happening again, and waiting for scans. Like others have said, we'll be here to help if we can this week while you're waiting.
  • Hi hun,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this! It's so unfair that those of us who have experieced a loss then go on to have terrifying pregnancies next time round! It's very frustrating i know!

I truly hope everything works out for you hun, i really do and i hope this week goes super fast because i know how shit being in limbo is!

Thinking of you!
    xx
  • Thanks ladies, will keep you all posted, but next Thurs seems such a long wait.... Zxx

PS: MrsH - thanks for what you posted. All we can do now is hope and pray. Zxx
  • hey hon i am so sorry to be reading this i can only begin to imagine how you feel. like the girls said it may just be a date thing. Im keeping everything crossed for xxxxx
  • Hi ZLS23. So sorry to read about what has happened to you but I just thought I'd share my story. It's my second pregnancy and I went along for an early scan at 6+1 ( I was sure of my dates and even when I ovulated). I went privately to the clinic with the best ultrasound machines ( I know because my friend is a sonographer) I had a tummy scan and then an internal and they could only see a yolk sac, no fetal pole. The gestational sac was measuring 7 weeks apparently (at which stage you should definitely see a fetal pole). I was devestated as you can imagine but told to wait for a rescan 1 week later. Anyway I just didn't quite believe it as I still felt pregnant so I booked for another scan at a different clinic on the Monday - where from a tummy scan they saw baby and heartbeat - such a relief. I do have quite a retroverted uterus and I think this is why they were struggling to see - I hope this is the same case for you. Don't give up hope yet. Keeping fingers crossed for you.
  • Thanks for sharing your story, much appreciated Zxx
  • I just read your post, I just wanted to let you know that at my eairliest scan at 6+0 there was still not a fetal pole only a sac. 2 weeks later we were rescaned only to find our sweet little babes with a heat beating away at 170bpm! Hang in there hun!

Kari & babes
    25+0!!!