Forum home Babies Baby

When to give cows milk?

hi ladies

my son is 10 months, and is having plenty of food and 3 bottles of formula a day (although he would love more) i was just wondering when to give him cows milk? is it from 12 months? and does it HAVE to be full fat? we drink semi skimmed and ideally id like ds to drink the same, he is a big lad and im slightly concered about his weight gain, he loves food and milk! can u give cows milk before 12 months and how do you go about introducing it?

ashy xxx

Replies

• Yeah its from around 12 months although I think I changed over a week or so early because I ran out of formula. They should be on full fat milk until at least 2 because they need all the calories in it. I know its a pain buying extra but its much better for their growth. Don't worry about his weight my ds was seriuosly a chunky monkey when he was a baby/toddler and now at 6 there is nothing on himimage
  • yes it is from 12 months and yes it does have to be full fat. I am unsure if its full fat up til 2 or 5. i use to think it was 5 but for some reason 2 years old is ringing bells??
  • it's full fat until 2...my LO was really chunky before 12 months and is now small for his age so don't worry about giving him full fat and it's much better for them! x
  • Hi ashy,

I have been told they have it from 1 onward too and that it has to be full fat. We also drink semi skimmed but will be giving K full fat.

I am worried about getting her to drink out of a cup rather than a bottle as she loves her bottle and I love snuggling with her when she has it!! I need to find out what sort of cup is best...

Good luck giving him cow's milk

xxx
  • When we went for Abby's development check at about 10 (and a bit) months, the HV said that as she was thriving, her weight gain was bang on, and she had a good varied diet, that It was OK to start switching her over to full fat cows milk (yes it does have to be full fat - but we give Abby the odd beaker of semi, when we have run out! Naughty!)

She just said to use up the rest of the formula tub, and not bother buying any more - and to either introduce one drink of cows milk a day, and gradually increase, or to mix half and half (cows milk and formula) we went with the full cup of cows milk option, as it was a lot less faffing about.

She warned me that Abby's weight might dip a bit after that, as cows milk has less calories than formula, and they get very active during the toddler years! So I wouldn't worry about your LO's weight, just try to limit very sugary snacks, they do need a lot of fatty foods at this stage (just go for healthy fatty foods, cheese for example is fab!) and his weight will even out when he starts running round!

Good luck hun.
    Nx
  • HI Ashy our LO's are the same age.....

My LO has milk in his brekkie but ATM he has semi purely as it is such a small amount. (he still is on formula for his other 18oz)

I am going to swap his morning bottle at 11 months to full fat and 12 months both bottles.......

xxx
  • thanks ladies, i think i will wait another month or so and then start to change, my lo wont drink from a beaker, can i put cows milk in a bottle? iv battled with him with the beaker for 4 months now, and he still isnt drinking water.

ashy x
  • thanks ladies, i think i will wait another month or so and then start to change, my lo wont drink from a beaker, can i put cows milk in a bottle? iv battled with him with the beaker for 4 months now, and he still isnt drinking water.

ashy x

my 16month old still has her milk in her bottle and water in her beaker. its fine as long as its just milk and not juice and brush teeth regulary. it took us ages to find beakers that my LO would drink from
  • mummy mg are you a hv? is that what you advise? t's confusing as the birth to 5 book says from 12 months.
  • Calleigh I've always been told that in food it's from 6 months like on cereal etc but for an actual drink it's 12 months.
  • Also blue top is surely for the fat content as the calcium is the same? I agree that as a drink then blue top but I think if it is in cereal and they get plenty of fat elsewhere in diet then I cant see it as a big problem.

I too have struggled with a beaker, I hope nursery help me when he starts as he will watch other LO's etc.
  • I don't *think* there is anything wrong with Semi (it's not harmful or anything) it's just that full fat is sooooo much better. So if it's just every now and again then it wont do any harm (semi skimmed is better than nothing for example) but full fat is better, IYKWIM?

Anyway - that's my understanding of it, but I might be wrong.

Nx
  • Calleigh I've always been told that in food it's from 6 months like on cereal etc but for an actual drink it's 12 months.

yes that's what i thought. oh just read mummy mogs post again and saw that it said in food! sorry. didnt see that. it's useful to know there's a hv on here to call on! i dont find mine helpful at all. mommy mog you are going to find yourself inundaed with questions now :lol: