Forum home Babies Baby

cot top changer or unit?

hi all,

i'm just looking at nursery furniture and am just wondering from all you new mums what you find easier to use either a proper baby changing unit or a cot top changer?

To me the cot top changer would be the right way ie baby lying straight in front of you but if it's on a unit then it would be side ways or if you stood at the end then surely you hit your elbow on one wall?

The plus side I see to the changer is that all your bits and bobs would be straight to hand ie nappy, wipes, etc.

What are your opinions?

thank you! x

Replies

• We've got this changing unit from Ikea and I love it. It's easy to keep things to hand and although baby is sideways to me I find this much easier to get her changed this way. Plus, once baby has outgrown the changing bit you can remove the top and use the rest of the unit as a normal set of drawers.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S19842534
  • I was going to get a cot top one but i changed my mind as i didnt want the unit to scratch the top of my cot plus i thought that if i had a boy (which i did and have now had 3) and they pee it can sometimes go everywhere which would end up in the cot rather than the floor/wall.

I ended up buying a chest of drawers from ikea (malm) that was 4 drawers high and i put a changing mat on the top, then i used the top drawer for the nappies/vests etc. It worked really well for me and ive done that for all the 3 boys. It meant i didnt have to spend money on something i would only use for a short time and tbh i used it till the boys were 1+ as it was the right height.

Gemm x
  • We've got a unit as her room is pretty big so space wasn't an issue. When at home I always change her nappy upstairs in her room (thought we might just do it in the lounge from change bag) so we've got the use out of it.
    Re side on or front on changing, I always assumed it was easier to change nappies front on, until LO was born early and on special care ward in an incubator...learning to change baby's nappy in an incubator with tubes and wires everywhere means you can change a nappy anyway when they're out! We both still change her sideways on even if it's on a mat on the floor, just what we've got used to.
    If you've got the space for the furniture then I'd say go for the unit and use the drawers etc.
    xxx
  • Hi

We got this:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Nursery/Dressers-and-Changers/Polka-Dot-Bath-and-Changing-Unit(0020954)

Which is a changer and baby bath in one. I really love it - it's on wheels so I can move in whatever position I want in the nursery and then keep it to the side when I'm not using it. I can also roll it into the bathroom for bathtime...highly recommend!

C image
  • hello

i never even though of changing my LO from foot end when we were furniture buying, i have always changed him side on on the changer or me knee, we got a changer cabinet when we did our nursery as we keep his clothes in the drawers and change him on the top, i have a shelf to the side with nappies in a small wicker basket and wipes etc on so they are at hand, i had them in the drawer at first but it was a faff getting them out esp now he trys to roll off!

if you dont have a lot of space and already have space for baby clothes then i would maybe get a cot top changer, although my issue is where it goes when baby is in bed, no doubt i would have fallen over it several times :lol:

p.s i have never elbowed the wall, i stand in the middle and change him side on x
  • Neither - I always change LO on the floor and I store everything under the cot.

I now have really toned legs from getting up off the floor without using my hands because I'm holding her!

B x
  • We have a changing unit (hemnes from ikea) and he lays longways on it, so feet to me, must admit find it so much easier than when we had him sideways on top of a chest of drawers.
  • Neither - I always change LO on the floor and I store everything under the cot.

I now have really toned legs from getting up off the floor without using my hands because I'm holding her!

B x

i had a section and couldnt bend down and get back up :cry:, i so could have lost my fat ankles with that! image
  • i have a cot top changer mainly due to space but to be honest i hardly use it i change her on my lap most of the time lol
  • We've got a cot top changer as we already had a chest of drawers to use for the nursery. I like it, the height is good and we keep the changing stuff on the shelf next to the cot so it's not a problem.

I guess when she goes into the cot we'll put it on the floor during the night, but tbh she doesn't really need changing at night very often. We got ours from Babies R Us
  • We've got neither either we change Cam on the floor and always have but his nursery is the smallest of our bedroom so there wasn't really space for drawers, wardrobe and changer! xx
  • I always change my son on our bed in the morning, and then at night time change him on my lap before putting him to bed. When he was smaller i lay him on sofa beside me to change nappy and dress him for bed. I have limited space so didnt go for changing unit and honestly dont think i'd use one even if i had one. Much handier to change him on my lap image

Am xx
  • I always change my son on our bed in the morning, and then at night time change him on my lap before putting him to bed. When he was smaller i lay him on sofa beside me to change nappy and dress him for bed. I have limited space so didnt go for changing unit and honestly dont think i'd use one even if i had one. Much handier to change him on my lap image

Am xx
  • Thanks for all your help everyone!