Forum home Babies Baby

Pupd?

Hi girls,

I started sleep training elliott yesterday, He managed to settle himself to sleep fo one if his naps yesterday...but today has been awful! I've been doing pupd but everytime I put him down as soon as he hit the mattress it's hysterical screaming!

I just read there's more to pupd then just picking them up when crying and putting them down when they stop...can someone give me more details on it

X

Replies

• It depends on how old Elliott is as the method needs adapting depending on their age. This thread explains it really well:

http://www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=69177.0

and here are some links to other related questions/tips on PUPD:

http://www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=89.0

Good luck with it, I have used it properly since my son was 4-5 months (now 9 months) and I think it is a brilliant technique. We've had lots of success with it and return to use it after teething, sickness or moving about /holidays. i started using it to teach him to sleep longer in the day and it was a great success.

Make sure you have lots of support!
    x

• That's brilliant..thank you so much!

He's sleeping now...and didn't take long either! It's amazing to actually be able to have him nap in hi cot rather then on me...means I can actually fo some cleaning while he sleeps lol!

• watching this with interest pb im gonna start this soon too but goint to wait until ds1 in school in 2 weeks so i have peace for the nap time training!
  • I did my own version of PUPD with Abby when she was very tiny (less than 2 weeks) but only after her bedtime routine (when I knew she was tired and OK - not hungry, wet, etc). I don't think I ever had to pick her up more than twice, we had stopped completely by 2 weeks, as she went down without a problem from then, and she's been a fantastic sleeper ever since.

We used to put her down, sleepy but awake, if she cried I would wait for about 5 seconds, then pick her up (she'd stop instantly) cuddle her for about 30 seconds, then put her down for about 10 seconds, and (if she cried again) repeat. Like I said it never took more than a couple of minutes, and she never got very upset.

I know your not supposed to do any sleep training at this age, but it worked so well for us, and I am really glad we did it. xxx
  • It does get easier day by day Peanut baby so keep it up. So glad it seems to be working for you.

nikkiandneil - I actually first used pupd when my son was 9 wks. I kind of just started doing it without really knowing the method (had read about it briefly back then). It also worked a treat for us and we went from taking up to 2 hrs to get him down at night, to getting him down within minutes and him self settling! I didnt realise until about 5 months (when I started using it again) that pupd / sleep training wasnt supposed to be used that young and it worked for us so im glad we did it too!

• Well last night it took an hour to put him to bed, which isn't bad seeing as it normally takes about half an hour rocking him anyway! And then wr didn't hear a peep out of him until about 11:30pm when I had to change his nappy (we use reusables and I didn't have a night nappy on him) and then bought him to sleep with me (we co sleep) but normally he will wake about 9 and have an hour of watching tv and chilling with us lol!

Today's nap was a pain in the bum though and after about 2 hours he was no longer tired and just wanted to smile and play lol!

But he's up sleeping in his cot now image

We are going on holiday in 3 weeks, what am I supposed to do when away? Xxx
  • PB did you buy the BW book??? I bought it and to be honest it just isn't for me and if you want i'll gladly send it to you chick, send a message to me on my fb with your details xxx

BTW I am going to try the PUPD method but apart from this there is nothing that really 'does it for me' in the book xx
  • If you are using pupd now and get things on track with it so elliott learns to self settle before you go away, you will most likely have to apply pupd again when you are away. Ive been away lots the past few months and have had to revert to using it every time. It was either that or desperate rocking to sleep which is what I was trying to avoid!
    The same applies during periods of sickness, or teething. But if he learns the method now, he should react well to it when he needs your help again in unfamiliar surroundings or sickness.

When I first did it properly with my son it was like 2 steps forward, 1 back. It took about a week to do. You think they are finally getting it, then they protest! By the end of the week my son changed to really enjoying his naps and they were much longer! So it was worth it.

Keep it up, you are doing a fab job. x
  • If you are using pupd now and get things on track with it so elliott learns to self settle before you go away, you will most likely have to apply pupd again when you are away. Ive been away lots the past few months and have had to revert to using it every time. It was either that or desperate rocking to sleep which is what I was trying to avoid!
    The same applies during periods of sickness, or teething. But if he learns the method now, he should react well to it when he needs your help again in unfamiliar surroundings or sickness.

When I first did it properly with my son it was like 2 steps forward, 1 back. It took about a week to do. You think they are finally getting it, then they protest! By the end of the week my son changed to really enjoying his naps and they were much longer! So it was worth it.

Keep it up, you are doing a fab job. x