Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

What are the best maternity pads for hospital??

Hi Girls

I am starting to put together my hospital bag and have bought big lady pants as I hear that the paper disposable pants are rubbish as they stick to you after a shower and don't hold those big maternity pads you wear after your birth.

Which are the best brand of materntiy pads, I have seen them in Boots and supermarkets, in the ultra thin and the big ones.. I'm thinking big is better (or not??) but which brand??

XX

Replies

• I used both asdas own and sainsburys own and both did the job. I was surprised at how much I didn't bleed afterwards...I've had heavier periods! But I think bigger is better than smaller...just incase xx
  • I picked up some asda brand ones. I got 2 packs of 10 and then got some more from tesco. Just incase one brand isnt great.

I agree with the disposable nickers, what rubbish! I'd rather some cotton nick nacks I can just chuck out afterwards. Much more comfy, plus 5 for ??1 in primark they are cheaper than the disposable!!
  • I hear the boots brand maternity pads are good, might get one from there and one from Tesco.

• g/c i got some from Tesco and after the first couple of days i switched to Always Night pads. They were alot comfier than the normal maternity pads image x
  • g/c i got some from Tesco and after the first couple of days i switched to Always Night pads. They were alot comfier than the normal maternity pads image x

My sister recommended that as she did the same. x
  • yeah, i switched to always night pads after a couple of days with my two - with the maternity pads i felt like i was wearing a nappy :lol:
  • boots and tesco were the best i found, they recommend not using a sanitary towell as they are 'too good' at hiding away the bleed so make it harder to tell if ur bleeding too heavy etc. x
  • i use night pads for most periods anyway (not always though as they make me itch i prefer bodyform) anyway. im pretty sure with my son i used boots own or the massive kotex ones. they all feel like you've shoved a matress down your knickers but i dont think i would use thin ones after birth at all
  • I used Boots own both times and would recommend them - the thick ones for the first few days/week, then swapped to the thinner ones (don't get mothercare thin ones, the wings are in the wrong place!) - the thicker padding is needed at first as the blood loss can be quite heavy, and the padding is quite nice to sit on if you're sore!

Like some others have said, sanitary towels can mask signs of infection so aren't recommended.

I'd say about 3 packs of each

• I would say the boots own ones and I also found the asdas ones were almost as good.Boots also do thinner style ones for when your bleeding has settled down .