Forum home Family life & relationships Single parents

HELP! Any single Mum students out there? Need some advice

Hello

I am starting full time college in September. I have two children under the age of two. Just needed some help and information about a couple of things. If you are or have been in the same situation would you please pop me a reply... I could really do with some advice.

Many thanks x

Replies

• Hi, I have remarried now, and my children are a few years older, but when they were 2/3 I went to college. I got funding through the college for childcare, and most colleges have childcare facilities also. Ask the college about financial help, and write a list of everything you can think of to find out, and idea's. Start organising everything in your life now - housework, a routine etc, so that you have allocated time slots for studying too. Look in your local area for things going on for children, and any possible support networks. When you start, get to know your tutors so that your not just another student, and let them know your situation. Also when your there - be YOU!! Not a mum, you will make friends, and you are taking a step towards even more independence, it can massively boost your confidence, and you will love it. I cant lie, It can be a real struggle, and at times you may want to give in, but in the end, I promise its worth it. Good luck x
  • Thank you so much for your response. Really helpful. I have been doing an evening class for the past 12 months and about to begin my access in nursing. I have been granted funding through the college for 85% of the childrens childcare costs, which is a great help. Although, I do require further help. My ex husband has decided child maintenance should not be paid (!) which inevitably makes life financially difficult at the moment. I have phoned the college and have been asked to write an 'appeal' letter for further funding. I live in a village outside of the town and the parking and petrol costs will mount up considerably too. I already, luckily, have a great routine. The children have been accepted into a great nursery (outstanding OFSTED!) and very much mentally prepared. I think it will be very tough at times, but have a good network of support around me. Been thrown a few surprises in the last couple of years, but feel more determined than ever! Thinks its great you did it! and also congratulations on meeting someone new. I very much hope I follow in your footsteps. x
  • Thank you. You sound like you have it totally sorted, I just hope you get more financial help. My ex husband has never paid anything either, he never see's them, which to be honest is for the best. My husband now has known them since they were in nappies, and he truly is their Dad. I am 5+5 today too, so another gorgeous angel on the way. I wish you the very best of luck for your course, and I am sure you will find someone when the time is right, to show you and your children the love and respect you deserve x
  • Wow... you have both left me VERY inspired. Thank you. My children are 8mths and 18mths. Feeling very optimistic, just hope it is all going to be affordable. I also hope I make the most of my time with the children when we're home. Would like to wish you both all the best with your pregnancies, would be nice to keep in touch on here x
  • Wow... you have both left me VERY inspired. Thank you. My children are 8mths and 18mths. Feeling very optimistic, just hope it is all going to be affordable. I also hope I make the most of my time with the children when we're home. Would like to wish you both all the best with your pregnancies, would be nice to keep in touch on here x