Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Tummy tightening ***UPDATE***

Hi ladies

Really hoping someone can offer some advice.

For a few weeks my tummy has been 'tightening' on and off throughout they day. It feels really strange and goes very hard, to the point that I can feel baby, and even tell where most of his little body is. It's happening several times a day EVERY day! It's right across the front of my tummy and lasts for several minutes and repeats itself throughout the day. It's not at any particular time of day and happens regardless of the position I'm in (laying down, sat, stood etc). There is no pain with it (as I would expect if it was Braxton Hicks), it's just really uncomfortable.

I wasn't bothered at first as I assumed it would just stop, but it hasn't, and now I'm starting to worry that something is wrong. I've been having nightmares that I go into labour before 30 weeks and now this is making me even more worried! I didn't have anything like this when I was pg with DS (I was admitted to hospital at 35 weeks with DS and had mild tightenings and was monitored, but they weren't as strong as what I have been experiencing), so I'm really not sure what it is or what to do for the best. I don't want to go to doctors as they are useless, so is it worth giving my mw a ring tomorrow? I'm terrified that baby hasn't got enough fluid round him or something (very irrational I know) and when I mentioned it to our family support worker about having the 'tightenings' so frequent she looked shocked and said to mention it to mw at the next visit, but that isn't for another 2 weeks!

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank You
Sam
25+4
xxxxxx

posted in DID, PG after MC and Pregnancy.

***********************************************UPDATE*******************************************

I rang the hospital on Wednesday and they said just to take a couple of paracetamol and have a warm drink, and if the pains don't go off to call them back. Well as I wasn't really in any pain I just said ok. But today I had period type pains and lower back ache, as well as the BH so rang ADU and they told me to go in and get checked out, everything was fine, bubs had a good HB and confirmed it was pre term labour either (phew), so they said they don't know what is causing the period pains or back ache but if it gets owrse or I start bleeding or losing anything to ring them back. So here I am, still with a tight tummy, back ache and period pains, and for all the good paracetamol do I might as well just have skittles.

Thank you all for your replies and help, its very reassuring to know I'm not on my own :\)

xxxx

[Modified by: Sammi+Harrison+Bump on 27 August 2010 19:19:35 ]

Replies

• hi hun, sounds like braxton hicks. they sound exactly like mine. i had no idea what it was in my first pregnancy, it was my mw who told me what it was when i had one when she was examining me. im 33 weeks now and have to say they are very uncomfy nowxxx
  • Thanks hun, I just constantly worry. I didn't expect BH to be so regular, especially not this early, I thought I'd have about another 10 weeks before I'd be getting them every day, lol.

Xx
  • mines are more regular this time, they started bout 22weeks which i thought very early and have just intensified, i like to think my body is preparing itself.lol.xx
  • sounds like braxton hicks to me too, which should never be painful, can be uncomfortable, but some poepl don't even notice they're having them, so can be completely pain free. if there is no regularity with them (like every x amount of minutes), no pain and they're not intensifying in strength then don't worry. mention it to ur mw next time tho just to put ur mind at rest. xx
  • sounds like braxton hicks to me too, which should never be painful, can be uncomfortable, but some poepl don't even notice they're having them, so can be completely pain free. if there is no regularity with them (like every x amount of minutes), no pain and they're not intensifying in strength then don't worry. mention it to ur mw next time tho just to put ur mind at rest. xx

I just wanted to clarify for anyone else who might be worried, that bh CAN be painful - it's a bit of a myth that they are simply uncomfortable. The books might say that, but speak to any amount of pregnant women who'll tell you otherwise, especially if it's not your first pregnancy! Nothing to worry about though. They can come in a regular pattern (for a while at least) and can intensify just as real contractions would. Trust me - i've been demented with it this time around.
    I've been having painful bh, cramping and the type of back pain you describe since about 20 weeks and have had a few panics that labour was fast approaching, but here I am at 39+6 and baby still seems quite comfy where he is!